Excessive use of pictures and gifs.

am i the only one or does some people agree with me? i think the use of silly pictures and moving pictures/gifs have gone way overboard, in a couple of cases a picture might actually prove a point, not all of them  don't just slap some picture in the comment and post it without writing anything, i cannot open a page on this forum without having moving pictures bouncing up and down all over the place and it's very distracting and annoying. the use has become excessive and abusive, and in many cases pointless.

Isn't this a tech forum? i get the feeling this is moving further and further away from a actual proper forum and heading towards a stupid youtube comment section.(no offence to all the readers out there)

Isn't this a tech forum? i get the feeling this is moving further and further away from a actual proper forum and heading towards a stupid youtube comment section.

I don't look at the youtube comment sections often, but I know for a fact that you can't post pictures. 

5111e9704891b.png

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

I don't look at the youtube comment sections often, but I know for a fact that you can't post pictures. 

5111e9704891b.png

no you don't, or rather .. yes you don't :P, but you seem to be missing the point here, just alittle bit.

am i the only one or does some people agree with me? i think the use of silly pictures and moving pictures/gifs have gone way overboard, in a couple of cases a picture might actually prove a point, not all of them  don't just slap some picture in the comment and post it without writing anything, i cannot open a page on this forum without having moving pictures bouncing up and down all over the place and it's very distracting and annoying. the use has become excessive and abusive, and in many cases pointless.

Isn't this a tech forum? i get the feeling this is moving further and further away from a actual proper forum and heading towards a stupid youtube comment section.(no offence to all the readers out there)

I mean i dislike when people post something like "cool," or "i like this," on build logs. There is a like this button for a reason and it just makes the build log impossible to read.

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

*know that feel bro*

and that is my point .. just going around posting silly things trying to grab a quick laugh or two, ofcourse i knew people were going to post lots of pictures here while trying to be funny rather than actually having a proper conversation. 

Silly topics demand having a silly picture/gif posted.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Lighten up. Sometimes we want to be funny here, for example this (which may have sparked this topic), and as long as you develop on a topic, it's okay IMO. We aren't all a bunch of emotionless robots here, and there are topics which require images, such as the Linus Memes Thread.

And the only robots with emotion are these two:

RAM3.jpg

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

and that is my point .. just going around posting silly things trying to grab a quick laugh or two, ofcourse i knew people were going to post lots of pictures here while trying to be funny rather than actually having a proper conversation. 

awe, did the mean Jpeg hurt your feelings? 

its a forum deal with it. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

no you don't, or rather .. yes you don't :P, but you seem to be missing the point here, just alittle bit.

Space-Brothers-Episode-8-gif1.gif

I often seem to miss the point.

I don't find pictures too bothersome as I don't get distracted by everything like a squirrel on speed with adhd

ok, go home. we arent holding you hostage here... or are we... LOCK THE GATES!

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

awe, did the mean Jpeg hurt your feelings? 

its a forum deal with it. 

aaaaannnd yes, as a forum it should be atleast a tinsy itsy witsy bit civilised, a gathering of people with mutual interests so we can dicuss and talk about it, atleast to some extent weeee bit serious and not just a bunch of jokesters, you can go to youtube or other crappy massmedia for that, a messy pile of crap, you go to dedikated forums to avoid that.

it seems the majority of this stays in general chat though as a fair share of those people are general chat dwellers who in some cases don't use the subforums.

should have posted a big flaming picture saying "BRING ON THE HATE!"

aaaaannnd yes, as a forum it should be atleast a tinsy itsy witsy bit civilised, a gathering of people with mutual interests so we can dicuss and talk about it, atleast to some extent weeee bit serious and not just a bunch of jokesters, you can go to youtube or other crappy massmedia for that, a messy pile of crap, you got to dedikated forums to avoid that.

we are a small bit civilized. 

#KilledMyWife 

If a picture sums up what you think the best, shouldn't you use it?

1243237840_spocks-eyebrow.gif1243264275_dog-fire.gif

Edited by tomlambert01

Compatible with Windows 95

"ops, was supposed to edit not quote"

and btw sorry for going on a editing spree but that's just how i am .. unwillingly i skimm through my own comments about 10 times always finding something.

aaaaannnd yes, as a forum it should be atleast a tinsy itsy witsy bit civilised, a gathering of people with mutual interests so we can dicuss and talk about it, atleast to some extent weeee bit serious and not just a bunch of jokesters, you can go to youtube or other crappy massmedia for that, a messy pile of crap, you go to dedikated forums to avoid that.

it seems the majority of this stays in general chat though as a fair share of those people are general chat dwellers who don't even use the subforums.

should have posted a big flaming picture saying "BRING ON THE HATE!"

Basically, you are saying that we shouldn't be allowed to post images and we can't be funny every once in a while. Also that we are all simpletons who don't leave General Discussion, which is complete bullshit.

Goodbye, I'll see you later. I am going to go work on my build log, which is in a different subforum...

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

we are a small bit civilized. 

well not sure how it was when you joined, but the forum has been steadily going in the oposite direction for a while now, and it only seems to get worse, this is partly due to Linus reaching a pretty big demographic, this is ofcourse positive and sometimes maybe negative, it can go both ways really, i just wanted to know what people think of it that's all, but we all see how that turned out, as expected, not very successful to say the least.

who cares..... theyre pics..

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

well not sure how it was when you joined, but the forum has been steadily going in the oposite direction for a while now, and it only seems to get worse, this is partly due to Linus reaching a pretty big demographic, just wanted to know what people think of it that's all, but we all see how that turned out, as expected. 

it was a magical place child. pretty much it was just the regulars you see now. megadarkwood, coolbeans me matsy the ssamlg etc. and it was great. but yeah the forum is getting crap now 

#KilledMyWife 

Basically, you are saying that we shouldn't be allowed to post images and we can't be funny every once in a while. Also that we are all simpletons who don't leave General Discussion, which is complete bullshit.

Goodbye, I'll see you later. I am going to go work on my build log, which is in a different subforum...

well then ... going alittle overboard are we? wether you find it to be an insult or not is up to you, completely subjective, and lol .. well i didn't exactly say that all the members of the forum are simpeltons who don't use the subforums did i? firstly never mentioned anything about being simple second .. well then .. there wouldn't have been any posts in the subforum right? you are acting as if i am directly attacking you, and the entire forum, which is not the case nor is it what i intended.

nor did i say it's not okay to have fun and joke around, or that pictures shouldn't be allowed.

the forum is getting crap now 

I'll report your ass and you get back deported to the land of BAN! The forum is still fun k?

I like that two of the meme's were anime related. That is pertinent to my interests.

As for the OP, I can understand why you would say that, but at the same time I love meme's when they are relevant and not the primary part of the post. So... acceptable in moderate proportions. 

If I have nothing to say, but there is a meme that is relevant (i.e. a joke that is relatively funny and related to the OP's topic), I tend to post it anyway. Maybe I should watch that. Oh well. 

I find posts that are just posts for the sake of being posts (i.e. a single sentence that completely lacks a point, or a meme that is just there that isn't related or relevant) are unacceptable and irritating. Even if they are related/relevant, some are just simply not funny. Not being funny, and not contributing to the conversation, imo, means it's spam and nothing more.

... I'm looking at you megadarkwood. I would appreciate it if you would stop with those nonsensical posts. Not that there aren't others, but you are the one I notice the most due to frequency.

Just a thought, posts have a report button. Use it if you feel the level of "nonsensical behavior" is reaching a level it shouldn't.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

well then ... going alittle overboard are we? wether you find it to be an insult or not is up to you, completely subjective, and lol .. well i didn't exactly say that all the members of the forum are simpeltons who don't use the subforums did? firstly never mentioned anything about being simple second .. well then .. there wouldn't have been any posts in the subforum right? you are acting as if i am directly attacking you, and the entire forum.

it seems the majority of this stays in general chat though as a fair share of those people are general chat dwellers who don't even use the subforums.

I did go overboard by saying all, but I don't find it insulting. I just find it to be a load of utter crap as an excuse to be correct. Listen, I don't want to fight, and I don't want to be an ass. But, it's simply not true. I am sorry if I offended you, but it's simple.

I understand what you are saying, but I would like to counteract it. I personally feel it's okay to use images AS LONG AS they pertain to the post, or the person adds to the post with a reasonable explanation. It can get spammy if it is just a thread of images, but there is not much we can do about it. Instead of trying to rustle everyone's jimmies, just report the offending posts.