Just swapped from 390x to a 970.

Vegetable
1 minute ago, Vegetable said:

On the 390x I did it the day I got it. Did DDU, slapped the 390x in there, fired up I think unigine valley (can't remember for sure but whatever, it was a demanding dx11 benchmark I can say that), and it jumped straight to like 85*C. So I looked at a few reviews, seeing NO other 390x's getting that hot, I just reapplied it myself with some AS5. The stock application was poor. It didn't cover the entire GPU core, and it was thin and patchy for where it was covered. That was 6 months ago, so it wasn't a matter of breaking in the TIM, it was just a hot card. 

Yea. A card like that isn't meant to go into the S340. The airflow in there really sucks ass. You'd have problems with a 980 Ti as well. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

5 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Yea. A card like that isn't meant to go into the S340. The airflow in there really sucks ass. You'd have problems with a 980 Ti as well. 

I've thought about that. I have dual 140mm intake fans, the top has the stock 120mm fan, but I turned it around so it's in-taking as well, and the stock rear 120mm is exhausting. I feel like the 212 evo's fan kind of took all the air, and left my 390x a bit starved. Unfortunately, I'm a 16 year old kid who couldn't manage a job this summer, otherwise I would have just gotten something with a LOT more airflow. However the 970 runs fine, which is all I care about. I just wanted a card that doesn't run hot, and even overclocked, the 970 is here right now: https://gyazo.com/8105a99c1f767e1b1621a8fe3da5206d

That's just insane to me. Card with 0% fan speed right now at 49*C? Like whatttt. Anyways that was my major gripe with the 390x, was it's temps. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

1 minute ago, Vegetable said:

I've thought about that. I have dual 140mm intake fans, the top has the stock 120mm fan, but I turned it around so it's in-taking as well, and the stock rear 120mm is exhausting. I feel like the 212 evo's fan kind of took all the air, and left my 390x a bit starved. Unfortunately, I'm a 16 year old kid who couldn't manage a job this summer, otherwise I would have just gotten something with a LOT more airflow. However the 970 runs fine, which is all I care about. I just wanted a card that doesn't run hot, and even overclocked, the 970 is here right now: https://gyazo.com/8105a99c1f767e1b1621a8fe3da5206d

That's just insane to me. Card with 0% fan speed right now at 49*C? Like whatttt. Anyways that was my major gripe with the 390x, was it's temps. 

Doesn't matter what size fans you have. Your S340 has a big fan filter in the front. That is gonna do alot since that is your only intake. Unless you are using SP optimised fans. 49*C, isn't that a lil too high for the 970? My big ass 980 Ti idles at 49*C as well. with 0% fan speed. Even worse that my ambient temps are in ~30*C Celsius range. And I wouldn't advise using your top fan as an intake. 

What's your max load temps for the 970? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

53 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Doesn't matter what size fans you have. Your S340 has a big fan filter in the front. That is gonna do alot since that is your only intake. Unless you are using SP optimised fans. 49*C, isn't that a lil too high for the 970? My big ass 980 Ti idles at 49*C as well. with 0% fan speed. Even worse that my ambient temps are in ~30*C Celsius range. And I wouldn't advise using your top fan as an intake. 

What's your max load temps for the 970? 

It's idling that high because I drive two monitors, so the core clock isn't ramped up to full speed, but it's at 405mhz right now, so it's pulling like 10% tdp at all times. The fan is still off atm so idc. Max temp during a 1 hours GTA Online session was 72*C with overclocks

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

5 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

I have a 970 G1 and it hasn't experienced ANY slowdowns when using all 4GB of vram. Check out the G1 970 thread and they will tell you the same. In real world gaming it won't affects users unless you are shooting for 4K but this card was never really ment for 4K except for DOTA, TF2, CS GO, League etc. I can do 4K in Overwatch on epic settings with a steady 60 fps. No stuttering at all. Sure it's pretty well optimized but it still pushes cards. Others like JayzTwocents have shown if the last 0.5GB are in use they don't actually hurt performance. 

I used to have one and it was fine, anyone who's owned one will more than likely say the same too. But, people who have read a thing on the Internet will always claim to know better than your personal experience.

I'll go right ahead and say you made the right choice because your 390X was a shitty 390X and you knew it. The other guy is the guy who got screwed. The 970 doesn't need that extra power to run 2 monitors which my last AMD card did as well.... do what yours did. It didn't run HOT but it ran hotter than the 970 when hooked to 2 monitors. IF you really don't see a massive dip in performance in the games you play, no amount of hate will matter. You did the right thing.

One of the worst 390X vs a perfectly good 970... 970 all the way. If you have a happy 970... your system is a decent system. 60c on idle is atrocious and everyone knows it. I barely get 64c gaming on the 970 for hours. If the game is harder on the CPU I max out at 74c.

Plus now you got shadowplay... another bonus.

23 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

It's idling that high because I drive two monitors, so the core clock isn't ramped up to full speed, but it's at 405mhz right now, so it's pulling like 10% tdp at all times. The fan is still off atm so idc. Max temp during a 1 hours GTA Online session was 72*C with overclocks

That's the thing. I have 2 displays too. 

Max temps for my 980 Ti after stressing in 4K skyrim is 71*C, same for my 390x with gaming overclocks. I've modded my cards and re done the paste. So yea, I may agree that swapping out the 390x may have been a good move. Since you can't control the temps. It wouldn't leave you with a good experience.  

I usually don't have good experiences with cards that I cannot control. 

5 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

I have a 970 G1 and it hasn't experienced ANY slowdowns when using all 4GB of vram. Check out the G1 970 thread and they will tell you the same. In real world gaming it won't affects users unless you are shooting for 4K but this card was never really ment for 4K except for DOTA, TF2, CS GO, League etc. I can do 4K in Overwatch on epic settings with a steady 60 fps. No stuttering at all. Sure it's pretty well optimized but it still pushes cards. Others like JayzTwocents have shown if the last 0.5GB are in use they don't actually hurt performance. 

My 290X at my stock profile (1060mhz core / 1265mhz memory with -75mV voltage) has memory bandwidth of 323.8GB/s across full 4GB of VRAM.

Your GTX 970 has 3,5GB of VRAM at 196GB/s and the last 512MB of VRAM at 28GB/s. It's in the speed range of iGPU memory bandwidth, as my iGPU (Intel HD Graphics 4000) has bandwidth of 25.6GB/s of DDR3 memory. We all know this limits performance, that's why iGPUs benefit from faster RAM.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

11 hours ago, Vegetable said:

snip!

wow man all the hate...i'm happy for you if you're happy and there are MANY games in which the GTX 970 perform better than the R9 390X...and now at games launch at least you'll get drivers day 1 for them and they will not run like poop for months.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

30 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

wow man all the hate...i'm happy for you if you're happy and there are MANY games in which the GTX 970 perform better than the R9 390X...and now at games launch at least you'll get drivers day 1 for them and they will not run like poop for months.

eh I didn't ever have any bad experiences with AMD drivers. Yeah I'm loving this 970 though. One hell of a card, that's for sure. 

56 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

That's the thing. I have 2 displays too. 

Max temps for my 980 Ti after stressing in 4K skyrim is 71*C, same for my 390x with gaming overclocks. I've modded my cards and re done the paste. So yea, I may agree that swapping out the 390x may have been a good move. Since you can't control the temps. It wouldn't leave you with a good experience.  

I usually don't have good experiences with cards that I cannot control. 

I have no clue how cards like yours exist. Like I read reviews on the 390x, supposedly only got to like 76*C because of the HUGE cooler. Mine got to 90*C. My brothers 980 Ti HOF runs at like 73*C just like all the reviews said it would. My old EVGA 570 HD got to like 88*C, reviews said it would only get to 73*C. I always just get hot ass graphics cards I guess. That's why I had to get a 970 that someone else bought for it to not get hot as fuck ;P Anyways yeah adjusted the fan curve. Another hour of GTA Online and it hit 67*C max. This thing continues to impress me.

4 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

I have no clue how cards like yours exist. Like I read reviews on the 390x, supposedly only got to like 76*C because of the HUGE cooler. Mine got to 90*C. My brothers 980 Ti HOF runs at like 73*C just like all the reviews said it would. My old EVGA 570 HD got to like 88*C, reviews said it would only get to 73*C. I always just get hot ass graphics cards I guess. That's why I had to get a 970 that someone else bought for it to not get hot as fuck ;P Anyways yeah adjusted the fan curve. Another hour of GTA Online and it hit 67*C max. This thing continues to impress me.

Excellent Airflow. i can throw in a fury no problem. 

2 hours ago, Pohernori said:

The airflow isn't THAT bad. I have an H440 and I notice about a 10c difference with all the panels off/on (and I'm not using SP fans).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The airflow isn't THAT bad. I have an H440 and I notice about a 10c difference with all the panels off/on. 

10*C? in celcius?

Thats a shame, my 290X was very good to me. Although I did just swap it out for a 980 classified as the best revision one popped up on eBay at non-stupid price :) 

3 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

10*C? in celcius?

yes

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

yes

A 10*C difference is pretty bad... There's definitely more work to be done.

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

A 10*C difference is pretty bad... There's definitely more work to be done.

My point is, the airflow of the S340 isn't going to make or break anything. 

I'm also aiming for silence, so I'm running non-SP fans at like 50%. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Vegetable said:

Read above. But yeah the guy I got the 970 from has a i7 6700k/1080 rig, he just wanted the 390x for a watercooling project, which I think is cool. I'm glad someone will be happy with it.

Good to hear, although admittedly, it's quite unusual to see a MSI R9 390X reach those sort of temps at stock speeds. I can rest easy now knowing that you got an extra $50 on top of the GTX 970. A downgrade for sure but at least you're happy.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Shouldn't have gotten the 970... I had it, was a great card... until I started playing certain games then i'd get constant frame glitches/stutters when exceeding a certain amount of VRAM... after that I swiftly ditched it for a 980.

Well now i'm sitting on a RX 480 (not a faulty one this time) and its great.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

My point is, the airflow of the S340 isn't going to make or break anything. 

When your range is 75*C and up. 10*C makes a whole lot of difference. 

14 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Shouldn't have gotten the 970... I had it, was a great card... until I started playing certain games then i'd get constant frame glitches/stutters when exceeding a certain amount of VRAM... after that I swiftly ditched it for a 980.

Well now i'm sitting on a RX 480 (not a faulty one this time) and its great.

To be honest, just cranked everything to complete max in GTA V and DSR'd it to 1440p. Got every single megabyte of my VRAM used, and I didn't see a fucking drop of stuttering. Maybe I'm just a blind idiot who knows. Anywho why did you go from a 980 to an rx480?

Was it you I traded the 970 to IRL??

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

Did you ever try a custom fan curve in afterburner, AMD default is not very aggressive....

Also you can undervolt some AMD cards in afterburner, and that makes them run a fair bit cooler, and in my case increase performance, by amout 2%....

But if your happy with your 970, all is good.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Why would you do this? Your upgrade from a 390X is GTX 1070 / 1080.

Core i7 6700k @ 4800mhz 1.33v * 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000mhz * ASUS Z170-A * Corsair H100i * ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX @ 2100mhz * XFX Pro Black Edition 80+ Gold 850w * Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S * AOC U2879VF 28" 4K