Can't decide on gpu for 1440p upgrades

Prokart2000

What Gpu?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What Gpu

• RX480
    • R9 Fury

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Results don't lie though my friend. A Fury X loses to a 980ti when both are driven by a capable driver every time. Yet their graph shows them being close. Not picking on the Fury X, way cheaper at launch if you go AIO card to AIO card, the 980ti better win. Just really easy to get turned around by incorrect methodology being used, like that employed by that source. Even DF has had some missteps as of late. My guess is there's a lot of pressure for results out there right now.

i can guarantee you with 1450mhz core and 8100mhz memory my 980ti wipes the floor with the FuryX even in DX12 titles (well..maybe not in hitman cause that's a big pile of poo :p)

You see them close in charts and what not...yeah sure...1225mhz core 7000mhz mem 980ti...''maybe''

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

Maybe you are right, is it worth me just getting a better 1080p monitor than i already have and just upgrading to an i5

Your monitor is in my opinion the most important part of the build. It's the anchor man. Doesn't matter what's behind it, it can only display to it's abilities. Get a cheap monitor and you'll have a cheap experience, regardless of the resolution or other components used. Honestly a tricky road, as no matter what you do if you're chasing 1440 piece by piece you're going to be living with a bottleneck. Why my advise is prioritize the most future proof component, which is the monitor. Get a ROG or a Predator.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Only for the ref 980 Ti I guess. But the charts for after market ones are always way ahead. Fury X did not have any aftermarket designs. Too bad for AMD. 

The way they boost so high takes away all the fun. I was hoping I could add more than +100mhz on core the core. But I could not add as much as I could with my 280x. A lil pity. But mem overclocks well.  

+100mhz is good...if you have a strix card...it boost to 1390mhz on it's on...mine only has a +55mhz on the core and i see it boost to 1450mhz or so...anything more than that it crash (only a 70% asic score though...) :)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Only for the ref 980 Ti I guess. But the charts for after market ones are always way ahead. Fury X did not have any aftermarket designs. Too bad for AMD. 

The way they boost so high takes away all the fun. I was hoping I could add more than +100mhz on core the core. But I could not add as much as I could with my 280x. A lil pity. But mem overclocks well.  

There were no aftermarket Fury X because they don't overclock. And there was nothing wrong with the reference design. Already had a AIO.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Your monitor is in my opinion the most important part of the build. It's the anchor man. Doesn't matter what's behind it, it can only display to it's abilities. Get a cheap monitor and you'll have a cheap experience, regardless of the resolution or other components used. Honestly a tricky road, as no matter what you do if you're chasing 1440 piece by piece you're going to be living with a bottleneck. Why my advise is prioritize the most future proof component, which is the monitor. Get a ROG or a Predator.

I could go 1080 144hz tn or just a bog standard ips at 60hz, i do play csgo as my main game so maybe thats a good idea

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

5 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

Maybe you are right, is it worth me just getting a better 1080p monitor than i already have and just upgrading to an i5

do not skimp on the monitor...it's your window on the world...your window into your games...bad monitor = bad gaming experience...

also, screen resolution does not affect the load on the CPU...the CPU has to process the same instruction sets regardless of the resolution the GPU is rendering at...in fact it's the other way around...the higher you go in resolution the less relevant a very powerful CPU becomes and the less likely it is to have an impact on your framerates because at higher resolution the GPU is having a mouthful to handle where as if you go down you will encounter games where the performance might fall into the terittory where the GPU could handle more but your CPU can't provide it.

For 1440p...GTX 1060 and core i5 is perfectly fine...if you want to have more ''future-proofing'' down the road and have a CPU that will last longer that's where a more powerful core i7 chip comes into play as it will allow more GPU upgrades down the road before you feel the need to replace it.

Also more games react more to higher clockspeed and greater per core performance than they tend to scale with more CPU threads.

1 minute ago, Prokart2000 said:

I could go 1080 144hz tn or just a bog standard ips at 60hz, i do play csgo as my main game so maybe thats a good idea

if you play mainly CSGO then yeah a high refresh rate monitor is something great to have...but for pretty much everything else from action games, sports games, racing games etc. i would much rather have the increased resolution over higher refresh rate personally...it depend what you do and what you want...i wanted both so i had to buy a VERY expensive display. :(

Also...someone in the pool placed a vote for a GTX 980 :P lol

3 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

Screen quality is critical here. I would go with an IPS panel if at all possible. There are some good TN panels but nothing has the look of a good IPS. Again with ASUS expect great out of the box performance, but you can save money by going with Acer but have some work to do in the settings to gain the image quality of the ASUS out of the box.

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

if you play mainly CSGO then yeah a high refresh rate monitor is something great to have...but for pretty much everything else from action games, sports games, racing games etc. i would much rather have the increased resolution over higher refresh rate personally...it depend what you do and what you want...i wanted both so i had to buy a VERY expensive display. :(

How is this? http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/sqp323/acer-monitor-xf270hu

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Just now, Prokart2000 said:

that's SUPER GREAT...that in fact is the exact same monitor (panel) as i'm using right now except this one support FREESYNC...in which case i would GREATLY recommend you pick an AMD GPU to go along with it because variable refresh rate is AMAZING regardless of brand fanboyism i couldnt recomment to pair an nvidia gpu with an AMD Freesync monitor,...that would be blasphemy.

Get the R9 390X and this monitor and enjoy son.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

I have that monitor in it's GSYNC flavor and LOVE it. Fantastic stand. Took me almost a day to dial it in but once done no worries.

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

that's SUPER GREAT...that in fact is the exact same monitor (panel) as i'm using right now except this one support FREESYNC...in which case i would GREATLY recommend you pick an AMD GPU to go along with it because variable refresh rate is AMAZING regardless of brand fanboyism i couldnt recomment to pair an nvidia gpu with an AMD Freesync monitor,...that would be blasphemy.

Get the R9 390X and this monitor and enjoy son.

The gsync is around £60 more so thats a no go

Maybe an rx480 and then crossfire down the line?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

I have that monitor in it's GSYNC flavor and LOVE it. Fantastic stand. Took me almost a day to dial it in but once done no worries.

fantastic stand as well indeed i love to watch online high definition pictures in potrait mode on mine :P

i will not say what pictures though if you see what i mean :P

@Prokart2000 this monitor is a FLAWLESS gaming monitor, honestly...this is IMHO the best gaming experience you can have at the moment outside of ''MAYBE'' VR.

it's amazing...high resolution, vibrant colors, variable refresh mean no screen tearing and smoother animation...high refresh rates..it has it ALL.

I personally do not think multiple lower end graphics cards should be used to emulate a higher end card. Even if you go AMD get a good RX 480 for now and sell it in order to buy a high end Vega offering once they launch. Crossfire can be frustrating and at best causes twice the heat and uses twice the power.

Just now, App4that said:

I personally do not think multiple lower end graphics cards should be used to emulate a higher end card. Even if you go AMD get a good RX 480 for now and sell it in order to buy a high end Vega offering once they launch. Crossfire can be frustrating and at best causes twice the heat and uses twice the power.

Power and heat are not problems to me

Spoiler

i would advise against crossfire or SLI...dual GPU is a pain...quite often it's not supported by the games or it simply won't scale well at all...it's prone to micro-stuttering...driver issues...etc. also higher power consumption and heat output.

A single more powerful GPU is always better...that said...RX480 should do pretty well at 1440p still but  you'd have to be prepared on lowering some settings from time to time to get good framerates...it's a bit on what i would consider ''on the weaker side'' for 1440p gaming IMHO...some will disagree...i played with a GTX 780 for a while at 1440p and it was ''alright'' but i had to compromise on settings a fair bit...RX 480 is a more capable card though...but you won't be playing battlefield 1 on ultra at 80FPS that's a given...but if you're fine with high settings and 2xMSAA for example then yeah it's all good.

Power and heat are not problems to me

says the guy shopping for an nzxt s340 case earlier huh

it's much more of an issue than you would think...even if the parents are paying the bills...trust me on that ;)

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i would advise against crossfire or SLI...dual GPU is a pain...quite often it's not supported by the games or it simply won't scale well at all...it's prone to micro-stuttering...driver issues...etc. also higher power consumption and heat output.

A single more powerful GPU is always better...that said...RX480 should do pretty well at 1440p still but  you'd have to be prepared on lowering some settings from time to time to get good framerates...it's a bit on what i would consider ''on the weaker side'' for 1440p gaming IMHO...some will disagree...i played with a GTX 780 for a while at 1440p and it was ''alright'' but i had to compromise on settings a fair bit...RX 480 is a more capable card though...but you won't be playing battlefield 1 on ultra at 80FPS that's a given...but if you're fine with high settings and 2xMSAA for example then yeah it's all good.

on pcp the 390x nitro is £251, i have the psu to crossfire down the line so should be good

Spoiler

on pcp the 390x nitro is £251, i have the psu to crossfire down the line so should be good

again i would recommend you do buy the most powerful GPU you can afford for now...and down the road when you want more performance you sell it online or something and you order something newer and better...

i bought myself a 550W PSU to MAKE SURE i will no longer be tempted to go SLI/CFX down the road because EVERY fucking time i did i regreted it almost instantly.

Dual cards setup is really bad down the line, with little to no support. I would wait for Vega if I were you, or buy the custom 480's when they hit the stores.

CPU i5 6600k @ 4.6GHz GPU MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G RAM 8 x 2gb DDR4-2800MHz Avexir RAM Mother Board ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Case NZXT H440 PSU Cooler Master v750 750W Storage WD 1TB Blue + Samsung 950 pro 128gb m.2 pci-e SSD Cooler Corsair H110i GTX

Monitor BenQ BL2420PT 24" 1440p 60Hz

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

again i would recommend you do buy the most powerful GPU you can afford for now...and down the road when you want more performance you sell it online or something and you order something newer and better...

i bought myself a 550W PSU to MAKE SURE i will no longer be tempted to go SLI/CFX down the road because EVERY fucking time i did i regreted it almost instantly.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/V3Lcqk here is the build, i went all out with the cpu, i will change it if vega gives different cards that are better later this year

Spoiler

1 minute ago, KillDog said:

Dual cards setup is really bad down the line, with little to no support. I would wait for Vega if I were you, or buy the custom 480's when they hit the stores.

i heard of vega but when is it actually dropping?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, KillDog said:

yes and who would have thought 10 years ago that in 2016 it would get WORSE AND WORSE and worse over time...we all thought multi-GPU support would become the norm...at the time it was fantastic in the games that supported it...but these days the games that scale well across 2 cards are getting very few and far apparts...and it's becoming worse every year.

devs have droped the ball on multi-GPU because so few people are doing it...and now even nvidia is slowly dropping it i wouldnt even be surprised at all if volta wouldn't support SLI AT ALL...across the board...done.