Can't decide on gpu for 1440p upgrades

Prokart2000

What Gpu?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What Gpu

• RX480
    • R9 Fury

1 minute ago, Prokart2000 said:

i heard of vega but when is it actually dropping?

Only speculation on that matter.

Probably q4 2016/q1 2017 if AMD want to release a competitor to the higher end Pascal cards.

CPU i5 6600k @ 4.6GHz GPU MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G RAM 8 x 2gb DDR4-2800MHz Avexir RAM Mother Board ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Case NZXT H440 PSU Cooler Master v750 750W Storage WD 1TB Blue + Samsung 950 pro 128gb m.2 pci-e SSD Cooler Corsair H110i GTX

Monitor BenQ BL2420PT 24" 1440p 60Hz

5 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/V3Lcqk here is the build, i went all out with the cpu, i will change it if vega gives different cards that are better later this year

Do you already have a CPU cooler?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, KillDog said:

Only speculation on that matter.

Probably q4 2016/q1 2017 if AMD want to release a competitor to the higher end Pascal cards.

hopefully

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Do you already have a CPU cooler?

nh-u12s

psu is 850 antec hcg

1tb wd black too

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

5 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/V3Lcqk here is the build, i went all out with the cpu, i will change it if vega gives different cards that are better later this year

i don't like the case and i've said why in your other thread this morning.

other than that it's great...i would look into reviews of RX 480 vs R9 390X @ 2560x1440 though...i'm not folowing AMD GPU performance relative to each other that much...but the RX 480 might very well be just as fast while being newer and all...the 390X is getting long in the tooth although still a very capable card it's inneficient and it run hot...and you cram that into the S340 and you get a toaster...RX 480 might benefit from future driver updates as well...is the 390X cheaper than equivalent RX 480 8GB model where you at?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, Prokart2000 said:

nh-u12s

psu is 850 antec hcg

1tb wd black too

Should be good to go.

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i don't like the case and i've said why in your other thread this morning.

other than that it's great...i would look into reviews of RX 480 vs R9 390X @ 2560x1440 though...i'm not folowing AMD GPU performance relative to each other that much...but the RX 480 might very well be just as fast while being newer and all...the 390X is getting long in the tooth although still a very capable card it's inneficient and it run hot...and you cram that into the S340 and you get a toaster...RX 480 might benefit from future driver updates as well...is the 390X cheaper than equivalent RX 480 8GB model where you at?

the sapphire oc 480 is £1 cheaper :D

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

the sapphire oc 480 is £1 cheaper :D

8GB?

i'd probably go with that instead to be honest...check reviews and benchmarks of RX 480 8GB VS R9 390X @ 2560x1440

(where are the AMD Fanboys who knows that kind of stuff when you need them?! always there to fucking argue with me and push my buttons but when you need them they gone)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

8GB?

i'd probably go with that instead to be honest...check reviews and benchmarks of RX 480 8GB VS R9 390X @ 2560x1440

It is a bit slower but tbh dx12 is going to be more mainstream from now on and driver improvements are yet to come so i think the 480 is the better buy

maybe that monitor will be a black friday deal, hope so

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

8GB?

(where are the AMD Fanboys who knows that kind of stuff when you need them?! always there to fucking argue with me and push my buttons but when you need them they gone)

Just praying vega might bring something to the table, sorry for wasting so much of your time

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

Just praying vega might bring something to the table, sorry for wasting so much of your time

Vega should bring the Fury line to close to Pascal. If the 490 is indeed a dual GPU card then it's not worth considering, same reasons for not considering Crossfire or SLI will lower end cards.

That said don't follow the circus that is the fan ranting about the new APIs being implemented. 100% bull shit. If you're looking for a graphics card that will beat the competition 100% of the time you want a Titan XP. Forza on the Windows store is DX12, Nvidia blows the AMD cards out of the water. Vulkan? Doom runs better on a 980ti than a Fury X. APIs are NOT biased, developers are. So no matter the API you will always see a back and forth between AMD and Nvidia. Unless you throw down on a card like the Titan XP that AMD can't match without throwing multiple cards at it, which is not how you want to game.

Just buy what makes you happy, and let the fans be fans.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Vega should bring the Fury line to close to Pascal. If the 490 is indeed a dual GPU card then it's not worth considering, same reasons for not considering Crossfire or SLI will lower end cards.

That said don't follow the circus that is the fan ranting about the new APIs being implemented. 100% bull shit. If you're looking for a graphics card that will beat the competition 100% of the time you want a Titan XP. Forza on the Windows store is DX12, Nvidia blows the AMD cards out of the water. Vulkan? Doom runs better on a 980ti than a Fury X. APIs are NOT biased, developers are. So no matter the API you will always see a back and forth between AMD and Nvidia. Unless you throw down on a card like the Titan XP that AMD can't match without throwing multiple cards at it, which is not how you want to game.

ok, i will see if vega is released, if there are any deals on blackfriday *cough i7 cough* that would be great 

thanks again

Spoiler

48 minutes ago, App4that said:

snip!

you explained this perfectly...i tried earlier turned out into 3 pages of flame wars. :P

1 hour ago, App4that said:

Very well said.  Although I'm not certain if doom runs better on a 980ti than a fury X.  Digital Foundry  saw the opposite. 

5 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Very well said.  Although I'm not certain if doom runs better on a 980ti than a fury X.  Digital Foundry  saw the opposite. 

The issue is the clock speed used. Here you see with a light overclock the 980ti catches the Fury X, take it to 1500MHz like I run my 980ti at and the 980ti leaves the Fury X behind.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

The issue is the clock speed used. Here you see with a light overclock the 980ti catches the Fury X, take it to 1500MHz like I run my 980ti at and the 980ti leaves the Fury X behind.

Pause basically anywhere in that video and the FuryX is winning, unless I'm missing something. 

Why not a 980ti.  They are like the price of a 1060 on the used market?

11 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

even with OpenGL i played the entire thing the first couple weeks it came out on my 1450mhz 980ti and on nightmare settings at 2560x1440 i was getting anywhere from 100 to 135FPS in the game...shit felt light as fuck... it was running flawlessly for nvidia users day 1...so for us the vulcan patch is utterly pointless since the game was running flawlessly already.

And on the AMD side...it's like they managed to get the game to run as horrible as they could so that the vulcan patch made them appear to get such a boost...it's just that it was running super poorly for the first month and a half, that's all.

I have absolutely no doubt my card perform better in doom than any single GPU amd can provide ATM.

Just now, ace_cheaply said:

Pause basically anywhere in that video and the FuryX is winning, unless I'm missing something. 

The clock speed. Reviews and testers use a 980ti at 1200MHz and people watching the video think the Fury X has won. Maxwell is all about overclocking. Let the 980ti breath and it walks away from a Fury X, always has.

1 minute ago, Flavlus said:

Why not a 980ti.  They are like the price of a 1060 on the used market?

From what I've seen they've pretty much went back to the $375-400 range now that the 480 hype has died away. 

4 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

pause basically anywhere in the video...take the framerate of the GTX 980ti and do 1.25X and you'll be where the real thing perform...

1500/1200 = 1.25

20 to 25% overclock does make quite an impact on performance.

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

pause basically anywhere in the video...take the framerate of the GTX 980ti and do 1.25X and you'll be where the real thing perform...

1500/1200 = 1.25

Let's not act like 25% clock speed increase means 25% performance increase. 

Just now, ace_cheaply said:

Let's not act like 25% clock speed increase means 25% performance increase. 

23.5% maybe?

maxwell scale really well with clockspeed...let's not act like a furyX is as fast as a 980ti.

10 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

even with OpenGL i played the entire thing the first couple weeks it came out on my 1450mhz 980ti and on nightmare settings at 2560x1440 i was getting anywhere from 100 to 135FPS in the game...shit felt light as fuck... it was running flawlessly for nvidia users day 1...so for us the vulcan patch is utterly pointless since the game was running flawlessly already.

And on the AMD side...it's like they managed to get the game to run as horrible as they could so that the vulcan patch made them appear to get such a boost...it's just that it was running super poorly for the first month and a half, that's all.

I have absolutely no doubt my card perform better in doom than any single GPU amd can provide ATM.

Well, the furyx was getting 100fps, and it jumped to 144fps, so it's not like it was terrible in the first place, it just got all the headroom from the 980ti and started performing as it should have.  I agree, AMD drivers on opengl sucked.  

I have a 1070, and I'm not sure if it's faster than a Fury X in Doom.

10 minutes ago, App4that said:

The clock speed. Reviews and testers use a 980ti at 1200MHz and people watching the video think the Fury X has won. Maxwell is all about overclocking. Let the 980ti breath and it walks away from a Fury X, always has.

Alright, well i'd like to see a video of that then in Doom. :) Just searched youtube and didn't find it. Granted, it was quick and dirty.

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

23.5% maybe?

maxwell scale really well with clockspeed...let's not act like a furyX is as fast as a 980ti.

10% maybe?  

AMD cards have always scaled better with clockspeed. They just don't have as much headroom in the clockspeed.  It's why the rare Fury X's that hit 1200+ are as fast as 980ti's.  Let's not act like the 980ti wins all times in all situations no matter what... Everyone knows it's the faster card overall. It's ok if it loses one or two. 

7 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

23.5% maybe?

update on the poll, many say fury :D, 390x or if rx480 gets better with driver is where its at providing vega has nothing

Spoiler