Prokart2000

What Gpu?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What Gpu

• RX480
    • R9 Fury

2 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

Im praying drivers help the rx480 catch up to the 1060

Drivers wont do that, only overclocking would. But unfortunately the RX480 has little no overclock room. With the boost they implemented into the GPU its already on the edge.

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4Ghz - Corsair H60i- 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Vengeance RGB @2933Mhz - MSI Geforce RTX 2080ti Gaming X Trio - 120 GB NVMe (OS) - 240 GB SSD - 5 TB Raid

I once repacked Breath Of The Wild and CEMU on the CemuPiracy sub for PC and now everyone asks me about it.

Streamer/Content Creator

3 minutes ago, Xerora said:

snip-sig

5.4ghz?  holy cow...On an h50...Dudeman, that's some serious overclocking.   How's she run? Is that a daily or just for benchmarks? Mind linking some benches?  

2 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

@i_build_nanosuits is this good for a gsync version http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DhFPnn 

no that's a freesync monitor as well and this one is TN...the other one is better.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

no that's a freesync monitor as well and this one is TN...the other one is better.

oh ok nvm

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

1 minute ago, ace_cheaply said:

5.4ghz?  holy cow...On an h50...Dudeman, that's some serious overclocking.   How's she run? Is that a daily or just for benchmarks? Mind linking some benches?  

I actually dont have her with me. She's in Colorado while I'm in PA. She's a quick little f*cker though. AMD does lack in single threaded computing but this overclock in single threaded computing feels almost like I'm running a high end i5/Low end i7. :P

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4Ghz - Corsair H60i- 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Vengeance RGB @2933Mhz - MSI Geforce RTX 2080ti Gaming X Trio - 120 GB NVMe (OS) - 240 GB SSD - 5 TB Raid

I once repacked Breath Of The Wild and CEMU on the CemuPiracy sub for PC and now everyone asks me about it.

Streamer/Content Creator

1 minute ago, Prokart2000 said:

oh ok nvm

these are the 2560x1440 Gsync monitors:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&A=1&sort=a8&page=1

(i know...more expensive...nvidia proprietary gsync module has a hefty price tag...price to pay to be on the greener side of the fence i guess :P )

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 hour ago, Prokart2000 said:

Im praying drivers help the rx480 catch up to the 1060

So maybe I'll shed some light on the RX480 vs R9 390X case.

So reading as you're already set on buying a quality FreeSync monitor (good for you), you need an AMD GPU, and as it happens I follow that quite a bit.

RX 480 pros: lower power consumption, less heat, newer architecture

R9 390X pros: beefier GPU, is faster overall and gains more in higher resolutions over 480 (that includes 1440p), also gains more in DX12/Vulkan due to beefy hardware. There is no danger of AMD abandoning 390X driver support, so you're good there. It's also a higher-end GPU, so it's arguably made out of better components.

Despite being older, more power hungry, I would still pick a beefy Hawaii XT chip with 8GB of VRAM that has actually more bandwidth than the one found in RX 480 on a 512 bit wide memory bus. Sapphire's 390X/MSI's 390X rarely break 70 degrees celsius and turn off fans when idling, they're improved over the 200 series cooling-wise.

TL;DR, I'd get the R9 390X over the RX 480. 480 trades blows with a 390 more atm, most likely drivers as they're going to start getting more "mature" with time will bring the 480 closer to the 390X, but with 390X you've got guaranteed flawless performance and longevity.

And I think my fellow tech friends @App4that and @i_build_nanosuits would agree as well

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, App4that said:

I thought I would miss my kidney after selling to get a GSYNC monitor, but cranberry juice goes really good with vodka.

I was looking into financing...One finger a month for 10 months. I decided against it, but only just. 

4 minutes ago, Xerora said:

I actually dont have her with me. She's in Colorado while I'm in PA. She's a quick little f*cker though. AMD does lack in single threaded computing but this overclock in single threaded computing feels almost like I'm running a high end i5/Low end i7. :P

Aww well, when you get back send me some links :P.  That's a really impressive overclock, so I don't doubt it feels zippy as hell. 

3 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

I was looking into financing...One finger a month for 10 months. I decided against it, but only just. 

No matter the evil that is the price, GSYNC is better. Noticeably better. You can argue if the price is in the proper relation to that improvement, but side by side there's a clear difference. What I've never been able to get an answer on is if that difference is the GSYNC module or the card itself.

Just saw Morgans post. The 390x is the right choice in that scenario.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Aww well, when you get back send me some links :P.  That's a really impressive overclock, so I don't doubt it feels zippy as hell. 

I'll try! Knowing me, I'll probably forget to do it. Baha!

Streamer/Content Creator

20 minutes ago, Xerora said:

Drivers wont do that, only overclocking would. But unfortunately the RX480 has little no overclock room. With the boost they implemented into the GPU its already on the edge.

Why are you saying that? Even reviewers got aftermarket 480s to 1400mhz. And the results are quite impressive if you asked me (talking about it reaching R9 Nano levels in 3DMark, of course it's not a game, but definitely indicates something):

x3dmark-oc3.png.pagespeed.ic.-1gQTHbH9c.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

So reading as you're already set on buying a quality FreeSync monitor (good for you), you need an AMD GPU, and as it happens I follow that quite a bit.

R9 390X pros: beefier GPU, is faster overall and gains more in higher resolutions over 480 (that includes 1440p), also gains more in DX12/Vulkan due to beefy hardware. There is no danger of AMD abandoning 390X driver support, so you're good there. It's also a higher-end GPU, so it's arguably made out of better components.

Despite being older, more power hungry, I would still pick a beefy Hawaii XT chip with 8GB of VRAM that has actually more bandwidth than the one found in RX 480 on a 512 bit wide memory bus. Sapphire's 390X/MSI's 390X rarely break 70 degrees celsius and turn off fans when idling, they're improved over the 200 series cooling-wise.

TL;DR, I'd get the R9 390X over the RX 480. 480 trades blows with a 390 more atm, most likely drivers as they're going to start maturing with time will bring the 480 closer to the 390X, but with 390X you've got guaranteed flawless performance and longevity.

And I think my fellow tech friends @App4that and @i_build_nanosuits would agree as well

Also, building on this, the 1060 and the 390x performance is pretty much the same once average out across a span of games. 

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Why are you saying that? Even reviewers got aftermarket 480s to 1400mhz. And the results are quite impressive if you asked me:

My thoughts while looking at that...

"Oh, look at my strix 1070 kickin ass... Oh, hello overclocked 980ti. FML." :P 

Just now, ace_cheaply said:

Also, building on this, the 1060 and the 390x performance is pretty much the same once average out across a span of games. 

My thoughts while looking at that...

"Oh, look at my strix 1070 kickin ass... Oh, hello overclocked 980ti. FML." :P 

Though 13994 - 12245 = 1749, not a bad score imo over a reference RX 480.

I was most impressed by the R9 295x2 score - beating every single 1080 :P Two 290Xs going strong!

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Why are you saying that? Even reviewers got aftermarket 480s to 1400mhz. And the results are quite impressive if you asked me (talking about it reaching R9 Nano levels in 3DMark, of course it's not a game, but definitely indicates something):

You know I love ya, right. But those score don't seem right. I'm not 400 points off from a 1080. Nor do I beat a Nano by 8000 points.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9006144

Just now, App4that said:

You know I love ya, right. But those score don't seem right. I'm not 400 points off from a 1080. Nor do I beat a Nano by 8000 points.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9006144

IDK, it's from kitguru.net review: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/asus-rx-480-strix-gaming-oc-aura-rgb-8192mb/30/

Is there a single benchmark in which the results are consistent?

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Though 13994 - 12245 = 1749, not a bad score imo over a reference RX 480.

I was most impressed by the R9 295x2 score - beating every single 1080 :P Two 290Xs going strong!

Yeah, that was pretty interesting. But none of those cards are overclocked, and the 295X2 is at the limit for the most part where the 1080 has quite a bit to go. 290X is no doubt one of the best gpu designs ever as far as longevity and relative performance. It's great to see the 4800 hit 1400.  I'd love to pick one up used in a year or two to play with. 

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

IDK, it's from kitguru.net review: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/asus-rx-480-strix-gaming-oc-aura-rgb-8192mb/30/

Is there a single benchmark in which the results are consistent?

I see a lot of selective scores used to paint the picture the reviewer is after. On both sides, just saying.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

I see a lot of selective scores used to paint the picture the reviewer is after. On both sides, just saying.

Well, while it's great to se R9 295x2 get such a score, AFAIK it's ahead of a Titan X, not a 1080

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, while it's great to se R9 295x2 get such a score, AFAIK it's ahead of a Titan X, not a 1080

That's the problem, include one misleading score and it removes the validity of the graph. People base purchases on these, yet I don't see many tech site taking them seriously. Click bait seems more important than their job, frankly.

Bit off topic, but not really since the OP is in the market for parts. Give this a watch everyone, it applies to us all.

33 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

TL;DR, I'd get the R9 390X over the RX 480. 480 trades blows with a 390 more atm, most likely drivers as they're going to start maturing with time will bring the 480 closer to the 390X, but with 390X you've got guaranteed flawless performance and longevity.

Ok thanks

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB