Can't decide on gpu for 1440p upgrades

Prokart2000

What Gpu?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What Gpu

• RX480
    • R9 Fury

1 minute ago, ace_cheaply said:

Well, the furyx was getting 100fps, and it jumped to 144fps, so it's not like it was terrible in the first place, it just got all the headroom from the 980ti and started performing as it should have.  I agree, AMD drivers on opengl sucked.  

I have a 1070, and I'm not sure if it's faster than a Fury X in Doom.

Alright, well i'd like to see a video of that then in Doom. :) Just searched youtube and didn't find it. Granted, it was quick and dirty.

10% maybe?  

AMD cards have always scaled better with clockspeed. They just don't have as much headroom in the clockspeed.  It's why the rare Fury X's that hit 1200+ are as fast as 980ti's.  Let's not act like the 980ti wins all times in all situations no matter what... Everyone knows it's the faster card overall. It's ok if it loses one or two. 

No reviewer will take a 980ti to that speed now, too past it's relevance. And Pascal doesn't have the headroom Maxwell had. But you can see here the disparity between the two cards. And again, the 980ti BETTER beat the Fury X as it's more expensive.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

10% maybe?  

AMD cards have always scaled better with clockspeed. They just don't have as much headroom in the clockspeed.  It's why the rare Fury X's that hit 1200+ are as fast as 980ti's.  Let's not act like the 980ti wins all times in all situations no matter what... Everyone knows it's the faster card overall. It's ok if it loses one or two. 

i'm running a 22% overclock on mine and my firestrike scores are a good 15% better or more than at stock...both in DX11(firestrike) and DX12(timespy) as well as in games running built in benchmarks...

Also, yeah it certainly won in hitman...other than that i'm not sure.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

On 7/25/2016 at 5:01 AM, Prokart2000 said:

Hi guys

I am going to take the step to 1440p at christmas but i cant decide on the gpu

There is the obvious 1060 and rx480 which both perform good 

But there is the r9 fury(on sale for £300) which can crossfire and has hbm but has a high power draw and will make my pc a toaster.

The 980 is another option as it supports sli but only has 4gb of gddr5 so will this be limiting at 1440?

Many thanks

Pro

The 1060 and 480 really arent meant for 1440p. Id go with either a 1070 or the R9 Fury.

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4Ghz - Corsair H60i- 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Vengeance RGB @2933Mhz - MSI Geforce RTX 2080ti Gaming X Trio - 120 GB NVMe (OS) - 240 GB SSD - 5 TB Raid

I once repacked Breath Of The Wild and CEMU on the CemuPiracy sub for PC and now everyone asks me about it.

Streamer/Content Creator

1 minute ago, Xerora said:

The 1060 and 480 really arent meant for 1440p. Id go with either a 1070 or the R9 Fury.

They are unless you're stuck up with the idea that ultra settings is a must.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

They are unless you're stuck up with the idea that ultra settings is a must.

I personally don't like playing on anything lower then high settings. If OP can deal with Tweaked medium/high settings than a 1060 would be the way to go. I'd recommend the 480 if there were more games that supported Vulcan, but right now for just 1 game (Doom) Id go with the 1060 because it has better FPS benchmarks in DirectX and OpenGL compared to the 480. If you can justify the extra $50+ (USD)

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4Ghz - Corsair H60i- 32GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Vengeance RGB @2933Mhz - MSI Geforce RTX 2080ti Gaming X Trio - 120 GB NVMe (OS) - 240 GB SSD - 5 TB Raid

I once repacked Breath Of The Wild and CEMU on the CemuPiracy sub for PC and now everyone asks me about it.

Streamer/Content Creator

7 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i'm running a 22% overclock on mine and my firestrike scores are a good 15% better or more than at stock...both in DX11(firestrike) and DX12(timespy) as well as in games running built in benchmarks...

Also, yeah it certainly won in hitman...other than that i'm not sure.

It's funny that I was listening to this exact part of the video App4that posted when i read this comment. Firestrikes scales extremely well, yes. 

9 minutes ago, App4that said:

No reviewer will take a 980ti to that speed now, too past it's relevance. And Pascal doesn't have the headroom Maxwell had. But you can see here the disparity between the two cards. And again, the 980ti BETTER beat the Fury X as it's more expensive.

That was in August 2015, before the crimson drivers in November.  And we've compared our cards before, yours is about 2% faster firestrike, .7% faster firestrike extreme, and 6% slower time spy.   

Like I said, I'm not arguing that the 980ti isn't the superior card in most circumstances. Just that it does lose sometimes, especially in 4k, now in Vulkan and Ashes and Hitman, and that's ok because it's not really a 4k card, and it is a monster in 1080 and 1440p. 

Just now, Xerora said:

I personally don like playing on anything lower then high settings. If OP can deal with Tweaked medium/high settings than a 1060 would be the way to go. I'd recommend the 480 if there were more games that supported vulcan, but right now for just 1 game (Doom) Id go with the 1060 because it has better FPS benchmarks in DirectX and OpenGL compared to the 480. If you can justify the extra $50+ (USD)

the GTX 1060 is as fast or faster than the GTX 980 at 1440p and is plenty fast enough to drive high settings with some anti-aliasing in just about any game.

1 minute ago, ace_cheaply said:

It's funny that I was listening to this exact part of the video App4that posted when i read this comment. Firestrikes scales extremely well, yes. 

he is talking about SLI support and scalling...no matter you're all confused and stuff bro.

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

the GTX 1060 is as fast or faster than the GTX 980 at 1440p and is plenty fast enough to drive high settings with some anti-aliasing in just about any game.

Which is why i said tweaked. 

Streamer/Content Creator

Just now, Xerora said:

Which is why i said tweaked. 

yes of course...tweaked.

if you want all ultra everything and 100FPS get a 1070/980ti or better.

Tweaked is fine for most people...especially on a budget...and OP is in the need for a monitor...might as well get something that will last him a long time with a ''not from yesterday'' resolution that will already look like garbage on day one.

you should know that 1440p medium look A HELL OF A LOT BETTER than 1080p Ultra. (i know, i had both)

5 minutes ago, Xerora said:

I personally don't like playing on anything lower then high settings. If OP can deal with Tweaked medium/high settings than a 1060 would be the way to go. I'd recommend the 480 if there were more games that supported Vulcan, but right now for just 1 game (Doom) Id go with the 1060 because it has better FPS benchmarks in DirectX and OpenGL compared to the 480. If you can justify the extra $50+ (USD)

I would get a 1060 but the monitor is a freesync one that i plan on getting

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

he is talking about SLI support and scalling...no matter you're all confused and stuff bro.

I'm not confused, my friend. It's just an example of synthetic benchmarks not representing true life results.  Can you post your stock and overclocked firestrike scores?  Even you said you're getting ~15% on a 22.5% overclock, which shows you precisely that clockspeed percentage increase is not the same thing as performance increase.  You cannot argue that a 25% bump in clock speed is a 25% bump in performance. It just isn't true anywhere outside of benchmarks.  This is just an accepted fact. 

Just now, ace_cheaply said:

I'm not confused, my friend. It's just an example of synthetic benchmarks not representing true life results.  Can you post your stock and overclocked firestrike scores?  Even you said you're getting ~15% on a 22.5% overclock, which shows you precisely that clockspeed percentage increase is not the same thing as performance increase.  You cannot argue that a 25% bump in clock speed is a 25% bump in performance. It just isn't true anywhere outside of benchmarks.  This is just an accepted fact. 

i know dude stay cool i've been doing that shit for over 20 years now...but 10% for a 25% overclock is pushing it way down IMHO.

anyways, that's all irrelevant 980ti>FuryX deal with it ;)

i know dude stay cool i've been doing that shit for over 20 years now...but 10% for a 25% overclock is pushing it way down IMHO.

It's closer than saying 1:1, that's for sure.  

i that's all irrelevant 980ti>FuryX deal with it ;)

Not in Hitman, Ashes, or Doom, looks like. :)   Deal with it. I believe I've repeatedly said it was a better card.

It's closer than saying 1:1, that's for sure.  

Not in Hitman, Ashes, or Doom, looks like. :)   Deal with it. 

i' telling you IT IS...(but not in hitman that pile of poo is too bad)

11 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

That was in August 2015, before the crimson drivers in November.  And we've compared our cards before, yours is about 2% faster firestrike, .7% faster firestrike extreme, and 6% slower time spy.   

Like I said, I'm not arguing that the 980ti isn't the superior card in most circumstances. Just that it does lose sometimes, especially in 4k, now in Vulkan and Ashes and Hitman, and that's ok because it's not really a 4k card, and it is a monster in 1080 and 1440p. 

One of the issues is the idea past results shouldn't matter. That couldn't be farther from the truth. You look at the performance of the card through it's entire life cycle, not just the moments that fit. Now whos to say how the 1080 will fair, might get it's ass handed to it. The Titan XP has async, that news just hit. But we like to get caught up in the brand and not the card. The 380 curb stomps a 960, a 970 and 390 trade blows, and a 980ti returns the favor for the 960. Big whoop. All that means is both companies sell good shit and on any given day they win.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

One of the issues is the idea past results shouldn't matter. That couldn't be farther from the truth. You look at the performance of the card through it's entire life cycle, not just the moments that fit. Now whos to say how the 1080 will fair, might get it's ass handed to it. The Titan XP has async, that news just hit. But we like to get caught up in the brand and not the card. The 380 curb stomps a 960, a 970 and 390 trade blows, and a 980ti returns the favor for the 960. Big whoop. All that means is both companies sell good shit and on any given day they win.

TitanXP has hardware Async?

do you know if they had to drop dual-precision or half-precision compute to fit that stuff on the die or something?

i'll have to check the news section i'm out!

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

do you know if they had to drop dual-precision or half-precision compute to fit that stuff on the die or something?

http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomshardware.com%2Fnews%2Fnvidia-pascal-titan-x-details%2C32323.html&h=WAQFn36vmAQHmnWIeK0HNx9oqV--AK6hibKampszo4WLHjw

1 minute ago, App4that said:

I know you didn't accuse me of this, but i never said the past results shouldn't matter. Just that in the case of Doom, only current results matter.  I'll have to go look at the Aysnc news, thats news to me, haha.  I really don't care which "brand" wins, I'm just not going to deny results that I see. 

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Can i use that freesync monitor with a 1060 or maybe even a 980ti

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

1 minute ago, Prokart2000 said:

No.  Only as it's native refresh rate. you only get variable refresh with freesync on an amd card.  

No.  Only as it's native refresh rate. you only get variable refresh with freesync on an amd card.  

ok

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

you can but it will be exactly as if it won't have freesync...it will run at 144hz no problem but will not do variable refresh rates...it will lock at 60hz or 120hz or 144hz...so you'd have to deal with either screen tearing or you'd have to use Vsync which implies input latency and a locked framerate so if your monitor is set to 120hz and you put vsync you game at 120FPS but as soon as you can't meet the 120FPS request in demanding portion of the game it'll drop to 60FPS...far from ideal.

If you get a freesync monitor like i said for the love of god make sure you get a AMD gpu it's WELL worth it...i couldnt leave without gsync anymore that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

I know you didn't accuse me of this, but i never said the past results shouldn't matter. Just that in the case of Doom, only current results matter.  I'll have to go look at the Aysnc news, thats news to me, haha.  I really don't care which "brand" wins, I'm just not going to deny results that I see. 

Nope, wasn't accusing you of anything. Doom doesn't have a canned benchmark, so honestly I could make ether card win easily through the control of where I capture. And canned benchmarks only tell the story of the benchmark, not the game itself. My point? It's silly business. Arbitrary points of contention for the sake of argument.

8 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

you can but it will be exactly as if it won't have freesync...it will run at 144hz no problem but will not do variable refresh rates...it will lock at 60hz or 120hz or 144hz...so you'd have to deal with either screen tearing or you'd have to use Vsync which implies input latency and a locked framerate so if your monitor is set to 120hz and you put vsync you game at 120FPS but as soon as you can't meet the 120FPS request in demanding portion of the game it'll drop to 60FPS...far from ideal.

If you get a freesync monitor like i said for the love of god make sure you get a AMD gpu it's WELL worth it...i couldnt leave without gsync anymore that's for sure.

Im praying drivers help the rx480 catch up to the 1060

Spoiler