Can't decide on gpu for 1440p upgrades

Prokart2000

What Gpu?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What Gpu

• RX480
    • R9 Fury

25 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, while it's great to se R9 295x2 get such a score, AFAIK it's ahead of a Titan X, not a 1080

Is the xfx 390x good? It's around £250 on scan

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

1 minute ago, Prokart2000 said:

Is the xfx 390x good? It's around £250 on scan

390Xs go like this: Sapphire->MSI->XFX/PowerColor-> rest of them.

If the first two are more expensive or unavailable, XFX is good.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

390Xs go like this: Sapphire->MSI->XFX/PowerColor-> rest of them.

If the first two are more expensive or unavailable, XFX is good.

Ok, it's the only one I could find for a good price, this or vega it is, thanks for the continued help, jeez 11 pages, sorry about that

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Just now, Prokart2000 said:

Ok, it's the only one I could find for a good price, this or vega it is, thanks for the continued help, jeez 11 pages, sorry about that

No problem, enjoy your 390X, it's definitely worth it for that price and should do great for 1440p gaming, it's not a 980Ti/1070, so you might have to turn down some settings, but not the crucial ones, only those that take most performance. Leave AA at FXAA and it should be great.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

No problem, enjoy your 390X, it's definitely worth it for that price and should do great for 1440p gaming, it's not a 980Ti/1070, so you might have to turn down some settings, but not the crucial ones, only those that take most performance. Leave AA at FXAA and it should be great.

I don't mind running at high anyway, love your name by the way

Spoiler

Just now, Prokart2000 said:

I don't mind running at high anyway, love your name by the way

Thanks and enjoy...

4 hours ago, App4that said:

You know I love ya, right. But those score don't seem right. I'm not 400 points off from a 1080. Nor do I beat a Nano by 8000 points.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9006144

BRO BRO BRO...if you look at the chart closely...at the bottom it says ''graphics score'' in which case you posted a graphics score of 21 289 with that overclock you have there...your card is a match for a stock nvidia GTX 1080 in firestrike...which makes perfect sense.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

BRO BRO BRO...if you look at the chart closely...at the bottom it says ''graphics score'' in which case you posted a graphics score of 21 289 with that overclock you have there...your card is a match for a stock nvidia GTX 1080 in firestrike...which makes perfect sense.

That's exactly what I was saying? I knew that? The scores posted on the graph Morgan supplied are tosh, complete tosh. That site is manipulating the data to fit the outcome they want.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

That's exactly what I was saying? I knew that? The scores posted on the graph Morgan supplied are tosh, complete tosh. That site is manipulating the data to fit the outcome they want.

why do you say that? i think they make perfect sense...firestrike loves the impressive cuda core count of your 980ti...and they run quite fast...it's normal for 980ti with a strong overclock like you have there to match a 1080 and wipe the floor with the 1070...you have a very strong GPU you know?

I think it's all legit and it makes perfect sense IMHO.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

why do you say that? i think they make perfect sense...firestrike loves the impressive cuda core count of your 980ti...and they run quite fast...it's normal for 980ti with a strong overclock like you have there to match a 1080 and wipe the floor with the 1070...you have a very strong GPU you know?

I think it's all legit and it makes perfect sense IMHO.

Some make sense, others are WAY off.

Just now, App4that said:

If you check leaderboards for firestrike, it's all Titan X and 980ti up there...worlds best overclockers can't match their old scores with the new cards...they're just too fast :P

these slow ass AMD pile of shit at the bottom?! they are where they belong man.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Like the low score of the Nano and high 295x2 score?

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Like the low score of the Nano and high 295x2 score?

nano is a trottling pos and 295X2 is 2 powerful GPU with a watercooler on top...IMHO this also make sense...i don,t know but to me these scores are pretty consistent to what you can see while browsing results on futuremark website...Firestrike loves many cores/stream processor and this is also true for AMD cards...and 295X2 is as much stream processors you can have on a card on AMD side...it belongs at the top of the charts.

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

nano is a trottling pos and 295X2 is 2 powerful GPU with a watercooler on top...IMHO this also make sense...i don,t know but to me these scores are pretty consistent to what you can see while browsing results on futuremark website...Firestrike loves many cores/stream processor and this is also true for AMD cards...and 295X2 is as much stream processors you can have on a card on AMD side...it belongs at the top of the charts.

But they're playing games with clock speeds, conveniently limiting some and boosting others to get the results they want. I call shenanigans.

10 minutes ago, App4that said:

But they're playing games with clock speeds, conveniently limiting some and boosting others to get the results they want. I call shenanigans.

maybe...but can you be more precise on what you would expect from firestrike scores?

you would have liked to see the 295X2 lower and the nano higher if i understand correctly?

i think all these cards were tested on out of the box settings...980ti is the best overclocker of the bunch (still unmatched Kingpin's 1905mhz run i believe) ...nano is the worst...1080/1070 are in the middle...to get good firestrike scores it help to have lots and lots of stream processor/cuda cores...295X2/TitanX/980ti is where it's at for firestrike right now.

Look at that 1080 SLI score up there tho...imagine titan X SLi a bit above it...now imagine TITAN XP SLI :P...the bar would make all the other look like a joke...GPU's from 2002 or something...holy crap!

http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/

in DX12 timespy though there is a twist...3way GTX 1080 faster than 4 titan X:

http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/timespy+3dmark+score+performance+preset/version+1.0

1080 react better to DX12

(gotta love what the first guy with the timespy top score wrote in the description box:

'' FU NVidia - give us 3/4 way SLI back in games. 2 gtx 1080s are not powerful enough to play maxed in 4k gaming! ''

LOL :P

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

@i_build_nanosuits

Titan XP has async, Winter is coming xD 

GTX 1070 and 1080 as well...i don't see anything in the news about how titan XP handle Async? can you link something :)

Just now, App4that said:

that line?

'' The Pascal Titan X supports all the same technologies that the rest of the Pascal GPUs are designed for, including simultaneous multi-projection, asynchronous compute and support for Nvidia Ansel. ''

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

that line?

'' The Pascal Titan X supports all the same technologies that the rest of the Pascal GPUs are designed for, including simultaneous multi-projection, asynchronous compute and support for Nvidia Ansel. ''

Yep, though the Titan XP is hinted to have it on a hardware level, we'll see once the reviews hit.

Just now, App4that said:

Yep, though the Titan XP is hinted to have it on a hardware level, we'll see once the reviews hit.

i think this is relevant, and we will see that happening with many DX12 titles in the future...the way nvidia is doing the workload context switching is not bad at all IMHO.

The thing we have to keep in mind however, is that Preemption and Asynchronous compute are both different approaches to achieve the same end result: maximizing the utilization of a GPU. And while AMD will have you believe Async is a drastically superior choice, badly implemented Async will fare much worse than properly implemented preemption.

Neither maxwell, nor pascal scales better than any of AMD cards.(In clockspeed).

If only AMD cards weren't thermally limited, it would have left NVidia in the dust, but sadly that will probably never be the case.

But still, if the 1060 is on the cheap, get it, it's a great card.

CPU i5 6600k @ 4.6GHz GPU MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G RAM 8 x 2gb DDR4-2800MHz Avexir RAM Mother Board ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Case NZXT H440 PSU Cooler Master v750 750W Storage WD 1TB Blue + Samsung 950 pro 128gb m.2 pci-e SSD Cooler Corsair H110i GTX

Monitor BenQ BL2420PT 24" 1440p 60Hz

19 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

+100mhz is good...if you have a strix card...it boost to 1390mhz on it's on...mine only has a +55mhz on the core and i see it boost to 1450mhz or so...anything more than that it crash (only a 70% asic score though...) :)

Seeing how mad the nvidia fan club has been about overclocking but the 980 Ti couldn't clock better than my 280x. 

-_-

19 hours ago, App4that said:

There were no aftermarket Fury X because they don't overclock. And there was nothing wrong with the reference design. Already had a AIO.

A Fury X aircooled would've have been a more convenient option for some. Nice joke though. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

11 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

If you check leaderboards for firestrike, it's all Titan X and 980ti up there...worlds best overclockers can't match their old scores with the new cards...they're just too fast :P

these slow ass AMD pile of shit at the bottom?! they are where they belong man.

Now what did we say about your fanboy syndrome? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Now what did we say about your fanboy syndrome? 

ok so we are not allowed to joke anymore? calm down for god sakes :P

brother you,re taking all this way too seriously...this is the beer league here at LTT it's full of teens that are broke and know nothing...at least that,s how i see this forum...if you'd know my background you would know why i allow myself to act like this around here from time to time ;)

just relax...it's all good brother