Origin PC Was Paid, Handsomely, To Remove AMD GPU Options.

I so respect AMD for rising back to the top by making all the right decisions unlike nvidia's dirty tactics....this guarantees my next AMD gpu purchase......bye Nvidia.....FU!!!!!  couldn't take the heat you sore looser!

AMD must have one hell of a management team.  

it's marketing.. a lot of companies do this.

Nothing new here

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

linus needs to make a video about this

this is the last straw and nvidia deserves nothing less then bankruptcy 

scum

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

Any company would do this if I was in the position I would you have to make you're product look better. all though I don't like Nvidia I  am getting an amd gpu.

That was not possible, I think you're still missing the point, the GK110 conspiracy was discussed to death, if you want to know what actually happened & why then I'll continue to do so via a PM or via a dedicated thread, I don't want to derail this thread however.

But i just got popcorn

:P

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Why not spend THAT much money on researching a new technology instead of going for the easy.yet.extremely.unethical solution?

Regardless, whether this is true or not, it will hit REALLY hard. I'd like to see the guys at PR trying to put the fire down.

linus needs to make a video about this

this is the last straw and nvidia deserves nothing less then bankruptcy 

scum

Then they will no longer send him Nvidia cards...

Good Morning...

Its marketing? And it not paying them so thats a sensationalist title. There just saying hey if you just carry Nvidia Cards and not AMD youll get a better deal on stuff from us. AMD could do the same to Nvidia...

Also think manufacturers who used to do both and now only do one, even wonder why? It could be something like this. Didnt one recently switch to only AMD?

This is not surprising, I think most of us saw right through it anyway. Why else would a little company who assembles PCs need to go to the media and make a big announcement about dropping AMD. Nvidia is not going to profit from this through more orders from origin as origin is too small; but they probably hope to damage AMD's reputation.

the author has a reputation for favoritism (AMD) dating back to 2009. The article is his own, excessively tainted analysis of quotes that aren't arbitrary enough by his own terms. There's nothing 'serious' here.

I'm not denying the existence of kickbacks. Hell, it's shortsighted shit on the behalf of the industry as they're driving sales out of the[ir] market.

And my experience with green hardware has been shit, I might add. So don't think I'm biased here. I just had to stop reading and look him up midway into the article because of how it reads like angry fanboy material.

Nvidia should take the Apple aproach:

Sell video cards as if they were Kitchen Appliances...

22478_KFA2-GF-GTX-680-LTD-OC-V4-portada.

While I agree this is nasty marketing rubbish. I would like to see this story confirmed weather it be AMD and Nvidia in the courts sorting this out or Origin once again taking AMD cards.

Either way with the new drivers for frame pacing AMD cards are almost as good as Nvidia when it comes to dual card setups.

Why not spend THAT much money on researching a new technology instead of going for the easy.yet.extremely.unethical solution?

Regardless, whether this is true or not, it will hit REALLY hard. I'd like to see the guys at PR trying to put the fire down.

They already spend multiple times that on developing stuff. Also was it ever said how long this was over? And idk how much it was really to say origin PC it may be a lot but to Nvidia or AMD?

While I agree this is nasty marketing rubbish. I would like to see this story confirmed weather it be AMD and Nvidia in the courts sorting this out or Origin once again taking AMD cards.

Either way with the new drivers for frame pacing AMD cards are almost as good as Nvidia when it comes to dual card setups.

Why would they take it to court? I mean this sort of thing happens in other industries all the time. In a way they just made the relationship between the two companies closer.

Nvidia's $600+ products utilize the GK110 chip which is significantly larger & thus more expensive to manufacture than AMD's Hawaii chips in the R9 290 series so to avoid slashing prices Nvidia has to fire up its powerful marketing mechanism

Products? Only product that uses the GK110 is the GTX 780 in the $600 price range. Next up is the $1000 Titan!

Not sure how reliable this article is if the person doesn't even know that. 

Why would they take it to court? I mean this sort of thing happens in other industries all the time. In a way they just made the relationship between the two companies closer.

That really is up to AMD and if they think they have damages to claim. While I don't see if happening you never know.

Well, what you were saying before was not very logical & I'll explain why.

You were basically saying that the GK110, AKA Titan was supposed be released as the 680 & had it been released as the 680 it would've wiped the floor with the 7970.

There are a few issues with that argument, one is that the GK110 is a 552mm², Tahiti is a 352² chip, so for a GK110 to outperform a Tahiti is a given, but for GK110 to compete with tahiti is illogical, as it's a significantly larger chip so the yields are significantly lower (Below 50% GK110 were actually salvageable when production began).

In laymen terms it's much more expensive to make, so for Nvidia to make a profit on it it has to either wait for the yields to improve or sell it at a very high price point.

Nvidia did both, the 780 was the result of the first option & the Titan was the result of the second.

In any case I really g2g, will continue this discussion when I get back (ETA 2 hours).

680 had a much smaller die size @ 294mm2, lower TDP, Lower power consumption, was quieter and ran cooler than 7970 and 7970Ghz.

GK110 was the standard that was set for the top tier card and AMD launched well below that standard and Nvidia was still able to beat it.

Yes the die size on GK110 was big, but they were still able to keep the TDP @250W matching the 7970.

You could look at it a number of ways. I;m just presenting the facts, just as you are :) 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Nvidia's $600+ products utilize the GK110 chip which is significantly larger & thus more expensive to manufacture than AMD's Hawaii chips in the R9 290 series so to avoid slashing prices Nvidia has to fire up its powerful marketing mechanism

Products? Only product that uses the GK110 is the GTX 780 in the $600 price range. Next up is the $1000 Titan!

Not sure how reliable this article is if the person doesn't even know that.

600+ only means 600 and up i guess.

680 had a much smaller die size @ 294mm2, lower TDP, Lower power consumption, was quieter and ran cooler than 7970 and 7970Ghz.

GK110 was the standard that was set for the top tier card and AMD launched well below that standard and Nvidia was still able to beat it.

Yes the die size on GK110 was big, but they were still able to keep the TDP @250W matching the 7970.

You could look at it a number of ways. I;m just presenting the facts, just as you are :)

The tdp has nothing to do with the fact that the gk110 huge is. The larger the die, the more chips on one waver will be unusable, making them way more expensive. Idon't know the die size of the 680 but even if it's so small, the 290x is considerably smaller at probably the same performance, which makes it effectivly more powerful and less expensive to manufacture than the gk110

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4&gl=SG&hl=en-GB

Oh wait, it's Nvidia the god of GPU manufacturers after all  :rolleyes:
Called it the moment i read it. Caught with your pants down Nvidia, shame.

@beebskadoo What you said makes no sense at all, this is because a GK110 chip is a large chip used for a Quadro. Those that come out half-fucked from production will be sold as the Titan, with half of the cores disabled - power consumption will likewise decrease regardless of die size. This however doesn't change the fact that a large die like the GK110 is immensely expensive to produce. Why else do you think a Quadro card costs upwards of $2000 to $4000?

​Edit: Fix'd

This whole thing is just speculation. Hell the website is called Semiaccurate which means it's just a BS website that spouts off rumors. 

Its called semiaccurate because it reports on the semiconductor industry.

600+ only means 600 and up i guess.

The tdp has nothing to do with the fact that the gk110 huge is. The larger the die, the more chips on one waver will be unusable, making them way more expensive. Idon't know the die size of the 680 but even if it's so small, the 290x is considerably smaller at probably the same performance, which makes it effectivly more powerful and less expensive to manufacture than the gk110

The rumored die size is 424mm2 for the R9-290x. 

it's not a comparison between 680 and R9-290X, it's a comparison of GK110 Kepler and the AMD Hawaii GPU.

The die size is smaller than the GK110 (about 30%) which is good. But GK110 is going to be replaced soon. Maybe next month, maybe Q1 2014, it's up in the air. Guess we wait till then.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

@Lukiose the GK110 wasnt in a quadro until like last month or possibly the month before, it was first used in the Tesla K20.

yeah go ahead nvidia bribe some to xbox one and ps4 to change their processors too ask them to not to use anything of AMD. Let's see how much money you have :P