Is a GTX 970 still worth it? Even on a deal?

Hey all,

Tired of my old GTX 560. Been waiting for the AIB 480s to hit, but me thinks it'll be between $250-315 for those newer cards. 

Meanwhile, I've been peaking at Ebay - seeing people selling their GTX 970s for ~200 ish. 

Although I don't think it's worth dropping money on a new GTX 970 over what AMD can offer (or will offer), however do you all think it's worth it to get a 970 if I get it for 200 flat? 

Using it for light gaming (SCII), but mostly Video editing in premiere pro. 

Thoughts? 

It all depends on the deal. A 480 is just over 200 with better perfromance than a 970 and more VRAm and also NEW that is UNUSED so i guess no 200 ish is not a good deal or at least something I would not take with the 480 hitting!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

4 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

It all depends on the deal. A 480 is just over 200 with better perfromance than a 970 and more VRAm and also NEW that is UNUSED so i guess no 200 ish is not a good deal or at least something I would not take with the 480 hitting!

A 480 is not nearly better than a 970... In fact it's just about under.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

(assuming all american $) If I could get a 970 for $200, I wouldn't really be interested actually since there's newer, similar or better products in that price range.  Now throw in the fact that you're seeing used ones for that price? No, definitely no "great deal".

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

To further elaborate: If a 970 is worth now a little less than a 480 if they are both new. I would say with a max difference of 10-15% in performance this is also the price difference you should be looking at so if somebody sells it  USED for smth like 150 or so and you don't care to much about the 8GB VRAM then you could take it. Sidenote: in germany I have seen 770s for 95 bucks and 390s for 150 bucks on ebay so ... Idk things might happen.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

480 = 970 = 390 = 290/X. Get whichever is cheaper.

No one should give a flying fuck about vram either, to be frank. The most BA system you could build right now would have "only" 8GB of GDDR5X, and that would be good for 4K or higher. On a 970 or 480 you shouldn't care about whether or not you have more than 4GB.

3 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

A 480 is not nearly better than a 970... In fact it's just about under.

I heard things about 390x perf which is supposedly faster right? O__o

3.Use

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

480 = 970 = 390 = 290/X. Get whichever is cheaper.

VRAM and USED makes them != in this case

3.Use

All good points. All true. Although, I do think that the 480 WILL top out the 970 once we get better coolers on the AIB cards. Just getting ansty of waiting. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Now throw in the fact that you're seeing used ones for that price? No, definitely no "great deal".

Also, good point. I was being lulled by the "Like New", but "like" isn't "is". 

you have a 560 ,what ever you get it will be a solid upgrade .i use to have 2x660's then i got 1 970 noticed straight away a more solid gaming eperience .Im not saying get the 970 or get anything .All im saying is you will be wowed by how much better it will be coming from a 560 .So have fun get what ever you want not what i have or any 1 says .youre cash youre choice .

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.300V | P-Core 5.6GHZ | E-Core 3.9GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Used maybe, vram no.

Well, that depends on the games too, right? Some are using more, and it seems like developers are utilizing that more as well. Additionally, I'll primarily be using this for Video Editing and I'm sure more VRAM can't hurt. 

4 minutes ago, Dumptaker said:

Well, that depends on the games too, right? Some are using more, and it seems like developers are utilizing that more as well. Additionally, I'll primarily be using this for Video Editing and I'm sure more VRAM can't hurt. 

No, just because a game is filling x amount of vram doesn't mean that it has to. Your system will use what you have dynamically, rather than only use what it has to. Benchmarks comparing the 390X and 290X (when their clock speeds are matched) show literally zero difference between them. Vram can't hurt, but it isn't worth spending more over.

3 minutes ago, loony979 said:

So have fun get what ever you want not what i have or any 1 says .youre cash youre choice .

Nicely said. Thanks. I'll let you guys know where I end up going. A part of me wants to just get whatever is the most badass 480 that comes out. I know it's considered a "Midrange" card, but coming from a 560 it'll be like washing down chicken nuggets with champagne. 

2 minutes ago, Dumptaker said:

Nicely said. Thanks. I'll let you guys know where I end up going. A part of me wants to just get whatever is the most badass 480 that comes out. I know it's considered a "Midrange" card, but coming from a 560 it'll be like washing down chicken nuggets with champagne. 

Ultimately, they're essentially the same thing, so whatever you go with will be a huge improvement.

3 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

No, just because a game is filling x amount of vram doesn't mean that it has to. Your system will use what you have dynamically, rather than only use what it has to. Vram can't hurt, but it isn't worth spending more over.

My 770 dissagrees with its 2GB of VRAM. That card is fucking choked and I would have exchanged that any day to a 4GB model but I got it at launch so ...

3.Use

3 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

My 770 dissagrees with its 2GB of VRAM. That card is fucking choked and I would have exchanged that any day to a 4GB model but I got it at launch so ...

There isn't a 480 or 970 that has 2GB vram, though, so that's not really relevant, is it?

I would say if you could get one for around 250$ that it would be good deal considering that RX 480's are still hard to find.

Current Build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.6, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz 8gb (2x4gb), GTX 980ti, NZXT Kraken X61, Fractal Define R5  EVGA Supernova B2 850w, Some 300gb hard drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W7CNrH

So ok... even if you could get a $200 970... wait for the 1060 at this point because it's NEW.

More Vram.... and it's just newer.

I would avoid the 970 because some random person on the Internet told me to. 

Wait for the 1060 benchmarks 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I got a 970 for $150 AUD that had been un-opened and came with warranty and all documentation but I sold it and got $230. I would much rather pay a little extra for something more modern and faster. The 1060 sounds promising so wait for that.

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

If you need the CUDA yea. But I'd get a 780 if gaming isn't priority. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

you have to take in considerating that the 970 has 3.5GB vram that is "usable"

lives on

BAKABT

12 hours ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

Yeah, I'm hip to that. From what I've seen Video editing software like Premiere will top out at around 3 gb, so it's not gonna kill me that much. HOWEVER, I'm taking the suggestions of everyone here and I'll continue to wait.

A few weeks ago everyone said, "Wait for the 480!" now everyone says, "Wait for the 1060!" ...I'll never get a new card! :(

12 hours ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

it has 4gb that is usable, its 2016, this joke is getting quite annoying and quite frankly tedious.