Is a GTX 970 still worth it? Even on a deal?

9 hours ago, TheHappyJarhead said:

it has 4gb that is usable, its 2016, this joke is getting quite annoying and quite frankly tedious.

yes it but hte last 500mb is 1/7th of the speed of the 3.5GB pool of memory.

nutshell they should of just made it a 3.5GB vram card and everything would of been peachy 

you go see if you can play a game pass 3.5 were everytime you move  your screen freezes for 2 seconds or so

lives on

BAKABT

44 minutes ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

nutshell they should of just made it a 3.5GB vram card and everything would of been peachy 

you go see if you can play a game pass 3.5 were everytime you move  your screen freezes for 2 seconds or so

Nvidia didn't have a secret meeting to decide how best to fuck over their customers. The reason the last .5 is slower is in what happened to the chip when it was cut down from a 980. If there was a way to not have that last .5 slower they would have done it, and to advertise a cards with 4g of VRAM as a 3.5g card would have made them a laughing stock.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 hour ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

i rather they list it as a 3.5 card instead of pissed off customers that wanted a refund, alot of people i know did that as they feel ripped off, they would be better off doing that imo 

lives on

BAKABT

1 hour ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

i rather they list it as a 3.5 card instead of pissed off customers that wanted a refund, alot of people i know did that as they feel ripped off, they would be better off doing that imo 

You realize the 970 has sold more copies than any other graphics card, right? 

1 hour ago, App4that said:

You realize the 970 has sold more copies than any other graphics card, right? 

not shit Sherlock!  if you had not read my post i refer to the people i know not the bloody entire population of earth.  

i bet ya most of the average person would not even know about the 970 having 3.5 too.

lives on

BAKABT

18 minutes ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

not shit Sherlock!  if you had not read my post i refer to the people i know not the bloody entire population of earth.  

i bet ya most of the average person would not even know about the 970 having 3.5 too.

So you don't realize that you shouldn't pursue a career in marketing. Noted

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

So you don't realize that you shouldn't pursue a career in marketing. Noted

wtf are you on about now. you did not read what i even posted at all did you, everything i said was my farken thoughts, if you dont agree  deal with it.

• recap yes 970 was popular 
  • yes some people was pissed about the 3.5 Vram when they actully need the last 500 mb
  • yes people did refund their cards cause of it
  • yes people should consider the issue 
  • who knows what the sales figures are they are all assumptions if they did advert as 3.5

whats the proplem with that?

what does this all have to do with marketing, what makes you better in thatr field do you do marketing if not your might as well talking bullshit too.

lives on

BAKABT

18 minutes ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

wtf are you on about now. you did not read what i even posted at all did you, everything i said was my farken thoughts, if you dont agree  deal with it.

• recap yes 970 was popular 
  • yes some people was pissed about the 3.5 Vram when they actully need the last 500 mb
  • yes people did refund their cards cause of it
  • yes people should consider the issue 
  • who knows what the sales figures are they are all assumptions if they did advert as 3.5

whats the proplem with that?

what does this all have to do with marketing, what makes you better in thatr field do you do marketing if not your might as well talking bullshit too.

I do many things, never place all your eggs in one basket. Especially a 10k egg. 

The 970 was up against the 290. Like you said a majority of consumers go off the package. Place 3.5 on a package they will hold up next to one that says 4 and you lose sales. Every company I have ever worked for understands people will bitch no matter what you do, so make the decision that makes you the most money. And that's what Nvidia did. And big surprise they made a metric shit ton of money xD 

On 7/15/2016 at 4:45 PM, Dumptaker said:

All good points. All true. Although, I do think that the 480 WILL top out the 970 once we get better coolers on the AIB cards. Just getting ansty of waiting. 

Sure, the 480 with better coolers from AIB partners will perform better than a stock 970, but pretty much every 970 on the market has a custom cooler and is also overclocked. So, in the end, the 970 will be faster at the same price, if not lower. 

a 900 series GPU is insanely shit in dx12 and with async compute and a 970 has only been worth buying before the 390 came out and 4gb (3.5 in this case) of vram is not enough anymore, not even for 1080p

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 hours ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

Considering i used more than 3.5 on some games without issue... 

This forum is full of toxic people who have likely not tested these things for themselves, but if its seen on the internet it must be true.

42 minutes ago, TheHappyJarhead said:

This forum is full of toxic people who have likely not tested these things for themselves, but if its seen on the internet it must be true.

lol not tested i have 2 970s and a 980ti  tested the 970 which has gone pass 3.5 and went to shit 980ti ran fine pass 3.5

lives on

BAKABT

2 hours ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

lol not tested i have 2 970s and a 980ti  tested the 970 which has gone pass 3.5 and went to shit 980ti ran fine pass 3.5

considering i had a single 970 and 970 sli too and had no issues on any of the games i played lol.

48 minutes ago, TheHappyJarhead said:

considering i had a single 970 and 970 sli too and had no issues on any of the games i played lol.

lol there is too many variables really, thats why everyone results are different system to system. some work fine on other some runs like shit on others 

lives on

BAKABT

21 hours ago, TheHappyJarhead said:

it has 4gb that is usable, its 2016, this joke is getting quite annoying and quite frankly tedious.

It's not really a joke though. It functions like a 3,5GB card. 

The game telling you having more RAM allocated is not the same as actually using it.

Starcraft II told me my 1GB HD6670 was "using" 1,2GB without issue.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12