Are there actually that many "editors"? All the workstations.

Iron Knickers
Go to solution Solved by wyattzx,

I've always wondered this. 

A lot of the time, you'll see people posting PCPartPicker lists, claiming "This is a gaming / video editing build. Opinions?" It happens so much, and yet you never see a single piece of content from any of these individuals, and as it stands the editor scene is kind of barren. If you exclude "FRAPS -> Vegas Movie Studio w/templates -> YouTube" anyways. Actual editors and content creators are far and few between, and often-times the builds people tout are for exactly this. Nobody will shame you for wanting 32GB of RAM so that you can boast to your friends. Just say it so that nobody suggests a Quadro / FirePro GPU or X99 build. The i7-6700k is the best chip right now for gaming, but we still see X99 builds because they specified video editing as one of the main reasons for the build.

I'm an actual video editor and content creator, and I've been editing / creating videos for almost ten years now. I've had an active channel for four years this coming November, and I use up every bit of my RAM and CPU with the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite. 

It seems to me that so many people are going above and beyond buying beast PC's with 64 GB of ram and Intel's new Haswell enthusiast chips and high capacity M.2 SSD's and creating insane workstations, and my question is: 

Are there really that many VIDEO/PHOTO EDITORS to need builds of such magnitude? 

A lot of people claim to need photo editing and video editing and the likeness but I almost feel like a lot of these people are straight up liars who just want a beast crazy PC under their belt because they like it that way. Are there REALLY that many people that are editing photos and videos out there, or is a lot of it a bunch of fluffy excuses to pack a useless hotrod in their computer chassis'.

8 minutes ago, Iron Knickers said:

It seems to me that so many people are going above and beyond buying beast PC's with 32 GB of ram and Intel's new Haswell enthusiast chips and high capacity M.2 SSD's and creating insane workstations, and my question is: 

Are there really that many people that ACTUALLY need all of this power?

A lot of people claim to need photo editing and video editing and the likeness but I almost feel like a lot of these people are straight up liars who just want a beast crazy PC under their belt because they like it that way. Are there REALLY that many people that are editing photos and videos out there, or is a lot of it a bunch of fluffy excuses to pack a useless hotrod in their computer chassis'.

Very valid points...  I actually agree with you on this

Photo and video editing are among things that need heavy power. Anything with ton of data needs much from CPU and RAM. Like GIS, Excel with 10k cells, working with over 600dpi PDFs etc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, Iron Knickers said:

It seems to me that so many people are going above and beyond buying beast PC's with 32 GB of ram

Well 32GB of RAM could be useful if you're going to have a lot of tabs in chrome and windows of other programs open. Or like @Aytex said there are some programs that eat RAM right up. I also wouldn't consider 32GB that beastly either. 64GB of RAM is a lot but I could understand its justification for a editing rig.

The most I'd probably do is 32GB, it's cheaper and I think I might see some benefits to having that extra ram. Though to save myself money up front I think I'll just do a single 8GB stick and then maybe a 16GB kit and single 8GB stick of the brand and model so I can have all 4 slots filled and plenty of RAM.

Or I could always download more ram (/s)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I mean, yeah there are probably people who don't actually need it, and just want the PC, but even then, that's their loss, as they could've got something better for what they actually needed, however there are quite a few people on the forums who do it for a living and do "require" the pcs, but its more a want than a need as other stations are still capable.

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

Well I have 16gb ram and few days ago I acctually got app report that something crashed due lack of ram.

So I guess we need it. At least some of us do.

New CPUs? While running games on my i7 4790, I get usage to 60%. So with i5 I would be sitting at flat 100% all the time. So again, I need it xD 

It depends from user to user.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Well I have 16gb ram and few days ago I acctually got app report that something crashed due lack of ram.

So I guess we need it. At least some of us do.

New CPUs? While running games on my i7 4790, I get usage to 60%. So with i5 I would be sitting at flat 100% all the time. So again, I need it xD 

It depends from user to user.

"New CPUs? While running games on my i7 4790, I get usage to 60%. So with i5 I would be sitting at flat 100% all the time. So again, I need it xD " Not exactly true but sure ;P 

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

3 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

"New CPUs? While running games on my i7 4790, I get usage to 60%. So with i5 I would be sitting at flat 100% all the time. So again, I need it xD " Not exactly true but sure ;P 

Well I did have i5 before, and it was running at 100% load when playing games.

Keep in mind that I play mmorpg games that are cpu heavy. Like Guild wars 2 and WoW.

It just didn't feel right to have my cpu at 100% load all the time at 75°C, so I got myself i7. Simple as that.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

I think the whole video and photo editing madness is just a fluffy excuse for a lot of people to justify some expensive hardware just because they want it. But there definitely are some people that do need this power for whatever reason ( eg excel, virtual machines, or photo & video editing)

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Well I did have i5 before, and it was running at 100% load when playing games.

Keep in mind that I play mmorpg games that are cpu heavy. Like Guild wars 2 and WoW.

It just didn't feel right to have my cpu at 100% load all the time at 75°C, so I got myself i7. Simple as that.

What i5 was it?

1 minute ago, SherifsDog22 said:

What i5 was it?

i5 3350p

Not the best i5, but what would I benefit from any K version? 10% more performance?

It would be dumb from me to upgrade from i5 3350p to like 3570k.

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

i5 3350p

Not the best i5, but what would I benefit from any K version? 10% more performance?

It would be dumb from me to upgrade from i5 3350p to like 3570k.

Ohh, I thought you had something like a I5-4690K/NonK a 3350p I can understand ;)

2 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

Ohh, I thought you had something like a I5-4690K/NonK a 3350p I can understand ;)

i5 4690k would probbably run at like 90% usage even if oced.

It's crapy optimised game and heavy on CPU.

And upgrading from one i5 to another i5 doesn't make much sense to me xD 

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

i5 4690k would probbably run at like 90% usage even if oced.

It's crapy optimised game and heavy on CPU.

And upgrading from one i5 to another i5 doesn't make much sense to me xD 

Yeah that's fair enough :) just thought its strange you maxed 100% on a I5, but then still, I don't play mmorpg's so I can't relate in that sense.

2 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

Yeah that's fair enough :) just thought its strange you maxed 100% on a I5, but then still, I don't play mmorpg's so I can't relate in that sense.

That's what happens when games have bad optimisation.

But most of mmorpg games are sadly heavy on CPU for some reason. Someone with more experties can explain to you why, but I just don't bother with that and upgrade my CPU :)

So just game used 100% of cpu power ... so nothing much left for background apps.

So i7 is a must for me.

Also I don't see any problem with buying overkill PCs if you can afford one.

Like buying brand new audi that you can drive 300km/h, but there is 130km/h limit.

Or buying house with 3 beedrooms when you only need 1.

Same thing for PCs :) If you can afford it, you will spend more money on it than you would acctually need to.

At least that's how I see it.

WD My Cloud 4TB

I've always wondered this. 

A lot of the time, you'll see people posting PCPartPicker lists, claiming "This is a gaming / video editing build. Opinions?" It happens so much, and yet you never see a single piece of content from any of these individuals, and as it stands the editor scene is kind of barren. If you exclude "FRAPS -> Vegas Movie Studio w/templates -> YouTube" anyways. Actual editors and content creators are far and few between, and often-times the builds people tout are for exactly this. Nobody will shame you for wanting 32GB of RAM so that you can boast to your friends. Just say it so that nobody suggests a Quadro / FirePro GPU or X99 build. The i7-6700k is the best chip right now for gaming, but we still see X99 builds because they specified video editing as one of the main reasons for the build.

I'm an actual video editor and content creator, and I've been editing / creating videos for almost ten years now. I've had an active channel for four years this coming November, and I use up every bit of my RAM and CPU with the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite. 

Does it matter? It is their money (If they actually buy) and if they're a dreamer let them dream.

I have spent ~$6000AUD on my rig so far and am about to get a GTX-1080. I do a very wide verity of things with it, Some warranting all the power most not... But I've always known I'm being stupid with it and I don't care. And with all that wasted horsepower I get to dabble and play with cool things I never would have bothered with otherwise, potentially finding a new hobby, interest or possibly even later on a career.

The only negative I can see is to their wallets, And relieving developers of the burden to optimize their creations (Which is definitely a bad thing).

All this comes down to whether or not it matters if people are going overboard? It benefits retailers and producers, funds growth and further development, etc. So I see no problem with it all.

well, you dont need to be a pro to need a powerful machine.

some people do photography or video editing as a hobby, and have the money to back that up and get a machine that'll allow them to do their hobby quicker and less painful.

--

in the same way i got a pretty ballin workstation for VMs, and am probably gonna get a virtualisation server soon-ish because messing with that kind of gear is my hobby, and i soon may have the money to back it up :P

I could defianately make use a machine that powerful

try editing 4k in after effects with tons of stuff!!!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, SnipeYa said:

Does it matter? It is their money (If they actually buy) and if they're a dreamer let them dream.

I have spent ~$6000AUD on my rig so far and am about to get a GTX-1080. I do a very wide verity of things with it, Some warranting all the power most not... But I've always known I'm being with it stupid and I don't care. And with all that wasted horsepower I get to dabble and play with cool things I never would have bothered with otherwise, potentially finding a new hobby, interest or possibly even later on a career.

All this comes down to whether or not it matters if people are going overboard? It benefits retailers and producers, funds growth and further development, etc. So I see no problem with it all.

The only negative I can see is to their wallets, And relieving developers of the burden to optimize their creations (Which is definitely a bad thing).

As I said in my post, certain areas can be impacted when people are looking for "video editing builds." If you're not truly going to be working with video, then there's some (most) hardware that's simply unnecessary. A gaming build would look something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($349.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($147.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($459.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1355.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-12 05:39 EDT-0400

Meanwhile, an editor's build would look more like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($193.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($269.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($154.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($149.49 @ B&H) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($149.49 @ B&H) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1732.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-12 05:43 EDT-0400

As you can see, one build focuses heavily on RAM and storage, and a better CPU, and the other focuses more on the GPU, and cooling. These aren't the ONLY two builds you can do, but they're fairly representative of what you'd want in each area at this price point.

4 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

As I said in my post, certain areas can be impacted when people are looking for "video editing builds." If you're not truly going to be working with video, then there's some (most) hardware that's simply unnecessary. A gaming build would look something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($349.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($147.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($459.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1355.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-12 05:39 EDT-0400

Meanwhile, an editor's build would look more like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($193.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($269.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($154.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1732.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-12 05:43 EDT-0400

As you can see, one build focuses heavily on RAM and storage, and a better CPU, and the other focuses more on the GPU, and cooling. These aren't the ONLY two builds you can do, but they're fairly representative of what you'd want in each area at this price point.

I would actually say the graphics card is overkill. I have the 970 from MSI, and editing footage from a GoPro and 5D Mk3, I never push 30% load, the cpu becomes the bottleneck. But youre straight up right, in the differences. 

Most gaming rigs are capable of editing to a certain extent, and the only downfall is storage amount and speed. I would buy a thunderbolt 3 NAS and have a super clean system to show off to friends and put the NAS in a different room or just out of the way.

1 minute ago, alexjt11 said:

I would actually say the graphics card is overkill. I have the 970 from MSI, and editing footage from a GoPro and 5D Mk3, I never push 30% load, the cpu becomes the bottleneck. But youre straight up right, in the differences. 

Most gaming rigs are capable of editing to a certain extent, and the only downfall is storage amount and speed. I would buy a thunderbolt 3 NAS and have a super clean system to show off to friends and put the NAS in a different room or just out of the way.

Mm, for $270 for that card, I figured it was a good bet. You could certainly drop that down a tier or two though.

Can editing programs make use of tons of cores? If so, I don't see why they wouldn't use server grade equipment. It would be more powerful for that particular application, and cheaper. 64 cores across 2 cpus would kick them shit out of pretty much anything if it was fully utilized.

4 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Can editing programs make use of tons of cores? If so, I don't see why they wouldn't use server grade equipment. It would be more powerful for that particular application, and cheaper. 64 cores across 2 cpus would kick them shit out of pretty much anything if it was fully utilized.

Cost? Just gone from £400 to £3000 in just processors!