A question for Linus regarding installation of OS through a USB flash drive

RazeG3SG1

Hello Linus and everyone,

This is a question for Linus. Linus, you said that you installed OS on PCs through a USB flash drive. My question is that is this a form of pirating the OS? I'm trying to cut down my cost of building my PC and I've considered installing the OS by your way. Is there a risk involved? Like you are unable to update the Windows automatically due to being flagged? Thank you.

Hello Linus and everyone,

This is a question for Linus. Linus, you said that you installed OS on PCs through a USB flash drive. My question is that is this a form of pirating the OS? I'm trying to cut down my cost of building my PC and I've considered installing the OS by your way. Is there a risk involved? Like you are unable to update the Windows automatically due to being flagged? Thank you.

it is not illegal. unless you purposely install a pirated version of windows. you can use any installer as long as you have a legit key. or pirate it.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

whhhaaat? if you have a copy of windows, you can just install it from a dvd/flashdrive ... you can use your updates, after approve yours a serial number in windows

//something like that

It's essentially burning the iso to a flash drive instead of a disc. Nothing illegal.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

A Windows disc (the CD) has an image of Windows burned on it. You can take this image, called an ISO file and make it bootable on a USB. All it is, is changing the device it's installed from. Using a USB just makes it easier to carry around. You still have to provide your own Product Key to enter into Windows to activate it.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

@RazeG3SG1

in case you don't get a notif.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

So I can still use the same product key on other pc?

guys everyone can download an iso but that does not mean its illegal but if you use a cracked code THEN its illegal 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

So I can still use the same product key on other pc?

no.