4 cores vs 8 cores CPU's better in Gaming ??

we all know that video games even the most demanding ones doesn't use more than 4 core at a time but i heard that with DX12 & vulcan things will change and the more cores you have the better. i'm planning on buying a new CPU the i5 6600k which is a quad core however with the rumors i heard about core usage will an old FX8350 perform better because it has "8 cores". i'm confused now ????

Well, it has 4 modules and 8 cores, each pair sharing cache. Also, I'd rather get a 6600k because you have the opportunity to get an i7 or Kaby Lake when it comes out.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

No the 8350 will lose to a 6600k since the 8350 is crap single core, also dx12 doesn't really seem to benefit from 8 cores, more so it likes 6 cores, and this test were with a 5960x for reference

dx12_cpu_3dmark_api_overhead_feature_tes

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

i know what you are saying guys but i'm talking about the upcoming games and how DX12 will affect these i mean the rumors are true or it's just a bluff no matter i look at it if it's true things will change 

More cores and clockspeed matters far less when you're comparing different architectures. Most of it is just marketing because the average joe doesn't know any better that clockspeed and core count don't make a CPU "good" anymore. AMD's Bulldozer architecture (and subsequent iterations up to today) is so terrible that I just ran a benchmark on a Core 2 Duo that shows that clock-for-clock, the 10-year-old Core 2 architecture is actually faster per core than the 5-year-old Bulldozer architecture.

Also, AMD really kind of misrepresented the 8-core parts. They're 4-module CPUs, each with 2 integer processors, 1 shared floating-point processor and a shared block of cache. That kind of architectural weirdness was covered up for years until AMD finally went "okay, fine, we didn't really tell you the whole story". But it doesn't matter because even with Intel's C compiler shenanigans fixed, the bulldozer architecture is still exceedingly bad compared to the intel parts. we're at the point where an i3-6100 is crushing the 8350 in games pretty much across the board.

2 minutes ago, Maxou570 said:

i know what you are saying guys but i'm talking about the upcoming games and how DX12 will affect these i mean the rumors are true or it's just a bluff no matter i look at it if it's true things will change 

Upcoming games will still suffer because the FX-series, the bulldozer architecture, is so terrible that for the upcoming Zen architecture they had to start from scratch. And it still isn't out yet despite having been on the books for nearly 2 years. Core count doesn't matter if your cores are terrible, mangled franken-cores with shared FPUs and cache with awful IPC to boot.

Thats wrong, some games use more than 4 cores.
And when it comes to 4K gaming , FX 8350 actually wins against i5. U can look at 4K benchmarks.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

6 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

No the 8350 will lose to a 6600k since the 8350 is crap single core, also dx12 doesn't really seem to benefit from 8 cores, more so it likes 6 cores, and this test were with a 5960x for reference

dx12_cpu_3dmark_api_overhead_feature_tes

doesn't this pic prove what i'm saying ?? the 8 cores perform better than the 4 cores ?? i don't get it . we should see the performance getting worse the higher cores are right ??!!!

7 minutes ago, Maxou570 said:

It wouldn't matter if the 8350 could use all it's cores since each of it's cores suck, also as I said it doesn't care about 8 core it performs best with 6 cores based on numerous graphs I've seen, which means two of the craptastic 8350 cores won't even be used, btw these WERE ALL INTEL CORES

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5 minutes ago, Maxou570 said:

doesn't this pic prove what i'm saying ?? the 8 cores perform better than the 4 cores ?? i don't get it . we should see the performance getting worse the higher cores are right ??!!!

Additionally look at the 4 core hyper thread score, notice how good it is, that's how a 6700k or 4790k would perform more or less which is the best for gaming (in dx12) right now as a result, price to performance wise (can't believe I'm saying this)

7 minutes ago, Maxou570 said:

These benchmarks are not on an AMD 8-core. They are on an i7-5960X, an Intel CPU which at 8-cores is easily twice as powerful as an 8350 with all cores maxed out (and that's not even with the i7 overclocked at all). Just because a CPU has eight cores does not make it faster than one that has just four. It doesn't work that way. I know, it's weird, I used to think that way too, but nowadays the performance is dependent upon the architecture of the processor, not the clockspeed or core count.

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

additionally look at the 4 core hyper thread score, notice how good it is, that's how a 6700k or 4790k would perform more or less which is the best for gaming (in dx12) right now as a result, price to performance wise (can't believe I'm saying this)

but still the octa cores are better it doesn't matter if it's AMD or intel it's an 8 cores winning against a 4 cores 

23 minutes ago, Ellen_orangecloud said:

The FX8350's single core performance doesn't compare to the i5-6600K's despite it being an octacore. 

The number of cores in of itself does not reflect the single core performance. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

but still the octa cores are better it doesn't matter if it's AMD or intel it's an 8 cores winning against a 4 cores 

That's because comparing clockspeed and core count IS valid when comparing two processors with the same architecture. if the two processors are of completely different architectures, one can be more powerful at 2.33GHz than another is at 3.6.

3 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

These benchmarks are not on an AMD 8-core. They are on an i7-5960X, an Intel CPU which at 8-cores is easily twice as powerful as an 8350 with all cores maxed out. Just because a CPU has eight cores does not make it faster than one that has just four. It doesn't work that way. I know, it's weird, I used to think that way too, but nowadays the performance is dependent upon the architecture of the processor, not the clockspeed or core count

i wanna know if in the future the 8 cores will perform better the the 4 cores like i said earlier the quad cores win but i heard that with DX12 games things will changes eventually like the whole cores will be used in the games and not only 4 cores . is it true or just saying ??

6950X is the only viable gaming CPU

either that or you might as well get a gameboy or a console

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

11 minutes ago, Maxou570 said:

DX12 can utilize eight logical processors or more, so it will naturally perform better when it comes to overhead. But that is only one aspect to consider as it's not part of the game engine. The game engine only utilizes APIs, so the engine itself may not be multi-threaded and therefore, you may not inherently benefit from much having more logical processors. 

Most video games do not really benefit from more than four cores in a large way. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

3 minutes ago, Maxou570 said:

i wanna know if in the future the 8 cores will perform better the the 4 cores like i said earlier the quad cores win but i heard that with DX12 games things will changes eventually like the whole cores will be used in the games and not only 4 cores . is it true or just saying ??

DX12 allows for more cores to be used, but that doesn't mean games will utilize them because the engine must be multi-threaded as well.

2 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

That's because comparing clockspeed and core count IS valid when comparing two processors with the same architecture. if the two processors are of completely different architectures, one can be more powerful at 2.33GHz than another is at 3.6.

sure it's true mostly all i want to know it's that videos games will be able to use all the of a CPU (up to 8 cores) ??

4 minutes ago, Maxou570 said:

It's more dependent on the game engine and/or how the game is coded, because right now parallelizing a game across multiple cores is quite difficult the more cores you have. if the game is written in such a way that it can only benefit from 4 cores, then 4 cores is all it will use. The API only matters if the game can actually take advantage of the headroom it gives.

3 minutes ago, Maxou570 said:

sure it's true mostly all i want to know it's that videos games will be able to use all the of a CPU (up to 8 cores) ??

It's up to the game developer and whoever built the graphics engine. The API only matters if the devs take advantage of its capabilities.

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

DX12 can utilize eight logical processors or more, so it will naturally perform better when it comes to overhead. But that is only one aspect to consider as it's not part of the game engine. The game engine only utilizes APIs, so the engine itself may not be multi-threaded and therefore, you may not inherently benefit from much having more logical processors. 

Most video games do not really benefit from more than four cores in a large way. 

that's what i wanted to hear thank you mate 

In the future a 6 core of equal quality (so not the FX line) will be better than a 4 core of equal quality in gaming, this means a 5820k > than a 4790k/6700k if  properly programed not that a 8350>6600 

Also what @Godlygamer23 said, the games still need multicore optimization, all this means is that most games will not be optimized for 8 cores since most people still have 4 core machines, and it would be a waste of time in the eyes of most devs

I have a 5820k, a hexacore. But it's bullshit honestly lmfao

When I play games that are cpu intensive I usually have to deal with a slow game or bad looking graphics or something like that due to the fact that it doesn't make use of hyper-threading, so when I look at software only one of my cores is doing all the work and the other 11 are just sitting there. Makes me very frustrated

Shipping sucks

7 minutes ago, GSTARR said:

I have a 5820k, a hexacore. But it's bullshit honestly lmfao

When I play games that are cpu intensive I usually have to deal with a slow game or bad looking graphics or something like that due to the fact that it doesn't make use of hyper-threading, so when I look at software only one of my cores is doing all the work and the other 11 are just sitting there. Makes me very frustrated

Yes have a look at Far cry 4 for wexample. That games can sometimes max out 1 core on many cpu's so a 6600k overclocked will be much better than a 5820k overclocked. Although with new dx12 games if properly optimized it will work better on more cores and have less cpu usage in general but I say not worth the extra cash. I say the mainstream i7 is best but get the 6600k for now and maybe upgrade to new cpu's when they are availalble otherwise get a 6700k with a decent cooler and overclock it. 

I have a friend running a 5820k @ 4.5GHz and me running a 4790k @ 4.6ghz. We both have 980ti and in games like BO3, Crysis 3 and some other games we get about the same level of performance. I wish I could take my work pc running i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 2400mhz ram and swap ir with my 4790k as I will see some gain in performance. Maybe not FPS but frame latency will be better.