Just a stupid question

Wolther

If AMD were to go out of business, would Nvidia really be a monopoly? I mean, yeah it'll be the only PC graphics card maker, but there's also other gaming platforms, like Xbox, PS and Nintendo(?) so would Nvidia technically be competing against those other platforms aswell?

7 minutes ago, Wolther said:

If AMD were to go out of business, would Nvidia really be a monopoly? I mean, yeah it'll be the only PC graphics card maker, but there's also other gaming platforms, like Xbox, PS and Nintendo(?) so would Nvidia technically be competing against those other platforms aswell?

Well intel actually have more GPUs but they dont make seperate cards

There ARE technically other GPU makers, you just dont hear much about them, 

effectively Nvidia could be considered a monopoly if AMD go bust in terms of standalone GPUs but other companies make graphics chips

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

if AMD goes out of business they will likely sell the radeon group to another entity that will finaly make it competitive again...it would be a good thing...samsung or apple or microsoft or whatever pretty sure they can do better than AMD...i think a well trained team of monkeys would do better.

Also those consoles you are talking about...those all have AMD hardware in them...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Technically NVIDIA competes against Intel, PowerVR, Qualcomm, and ARM (sort of). Similarly Intel technically competes against ARM.

But I'm sure Intel and NVIDIA both don't want AMD to go under, despite their marketing blurbs.

amd is currently making the gpus for xbox and PS and nintendo if amd goes bankrupt nvidia will be the only ones to make gpus for them so the prices for the consoles will also go up

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

amd is currently making the gpus for xbox and PS and nintendo if amd goes bankrupt nvidia will be the only ones to make gpus for them so the prices for the consoles will also go up

but why does people assume it's AMD or nothing?! there are MANY other powerful entities on this planet that could enter the ring and give nvidia a good blow...AMD and radeon graphics will not simply disapear out of thin air...they will be bought off by another company...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I would see Qualcom or Samsung purchase AMD, or at least some of their assets to go into the GPU market as well. Nvidia will have a big market share, but it probably wont be a monopoly for a long time. That is assuming the government allows AMD to go out of business 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

but why does people assume it's AMD or nothing?! there are MANY other powerful entities on this planet that could enter the ring and give nvidia a good blow...AMD and radeon graphics will not simply disapear out of thin air...they will be bought off by another company...

if amd sells off their gpu branch sure but then we will have a monopoly in the cpu desktop market and no amd cant just sell off their cpu branch because intel changed licensing agreements for x86

Hmm thank you guys for you input. It is a very controversial conversation and all we can do is speculate it seems. I forgot about AMD graphics being in all of those consoles

1 minute ago, Wolther said:

Hmm thank you guys for you input. It is a very controversial conversation and all we can do is speculate it seems. I forgot about AMD graphics being in all of those consoles

It would certainly be an interesting time

Im sure other companies would scramble to take the slot

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

actually i think AMD faces both intel and nvidia simultaneously for cpu and gpu

3 minutes ago, TanmayHembram said:

but in terms of memory samsung is better than AMD and Nvidia

i dont think amd or nvidia makes memory

I think whether AMD is gonna solve this power draw issue of RX480 or not these kind of news stuck into people's mind. It is bad publicity, bad for business either way. 

" Remember that RX480 power consumption issue? " 

" Yeah of course , I don't wanna buy some GPUs that have the potential to blowup my whole system! " 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

they are known with best semiconductor producers and in amd i have seen amd pulling off miracles like price of rx,32 cores for zen,hbm usage, 18 billion tarnsistors vega,14nm gpu but most of times have thermal issues which semiconductor do they use for memory

20 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Nvidia sometimes makes graphics chips for other platforms such as the Playstation 3.

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

AMD_Performance_Memory_Review_09.jpg

8 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

this time for hbm 2 samsung will be helping and amd has released a ssd

9 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

They don't, the memory soldered to your video card is generally manufactured by Samsung or SK-Hynix.

They don't technically even make their own GPU chips, they are struck at TSMC or Global Foundries. As far as I know, only Intel and Samsung truly manufacture their own microprocessors.

4 minutes ago, partypanda64 said:

AMD_Performance_Memory_Review_09.jpg

4 minutes ago, TanmayHembram said:

this time for hbm 2 samsung will be helping and amd has released a ssd

they helped develop hbm but i dont think they manufacture it and the ssds are rebranded OCZ drives im pretty sure and for the ram are you sure amd makes the BGA chips im pretty sure they buy it from samsung or some toher memory company

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

they helped develop hbm but i dont think they manufacture it and the ssds are rebranded OCZ drives im pretty sure and for the ram are you sure amd makes the BGA chips im pretty sure they buy it from samsung or some toher memory company

exactly but they are only that can challenge Xpoint with pm1725 ssd

19 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

OCZ_NV2a.jpg

15 minutes ago, typographie said:

They don't, the memory soldered to your video card is generally manufactured by Samsung or SK-Hynix.

They don't technically even make their own GPU chips, they are struck at TSMC or Global Foundries. As far as I know, only Intel and Samsung truly manufacture their own microprocessors.

if they don't make memories then what are these

AMD_Performance_Memory_Review_09.jpg.bcf4e1a1fb3c3e007fd6fa2ab8ed3b33.jpg

OCZ_NV2a.jpg

3 minutes ago, TanmayHembram said:

if they don't make memories then what are these

AMD_Performance_Memory_Review_09.jpg.bcf4e1a1fb3c3e007fd6fa2ab8ed3b33.jpg

OCZ_NV2a.jpg

once again i dont think they make the BGA chips on the ram they probably buy it from a memory company

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

once again i dont think they make the BGA chips on the ram they probably buy it from a memory company

ok man