What is the Best CPU for Gaming?

Hello, my name is Willovax and I am going to be building a dream PC specifically for gaming, and I am currently looking for the best processor. From my own research, I found the core I5 6600K to be the best option from multiple YouTube videos, and some other websites. Although I still do not know if this is the best option, and the only requirement I have is that it has to be an Intel processor. So that is why I am here. What are your opinions on the best CPU's for gaming as of now? Thank you.  

Some games take advantage of the extra threads presented by CPU's like the i7 6700K (4 core, 8 threads), but more often than not a good quad core (like the mentioned i5 6600K) will do good. Especially with a good overclock on it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

budget?

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Absolute best - 5960x/6950x depending on overclock

Bang for buck - 6700k

WaveZ choice - 5820k

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1. What type of games are you playing?

2. What GPU are you interested in pairing with it?

3. What's your overall budget?

4. Why Intel? If you're on a tight budget, the Athlon X4 860K and APUs are solid options.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, Julian5 said:

budget?

I have an infinite budget.

1 minute ago, Willovax said:

I have an infinite budget.

i7-6700K with dual 1080s in SLI.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

'Best' would be the i7 6700K but the i5 6600K should be more than an adequate since hyperthreading isn't used frequently within games.

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

No, the i7 6700K remains the 'best' CPU performance-wise for gaming.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

1. What type of games are you playing?

2. What GPU are you interested in pairing with it?

3. What's your overall budget?

4. Why Intel? If you're on a tight budget, the Athlon X4 860K and APUs are solid options.

1: CS:GO, SMITE, Garry's Mod, GTA 5 ect.

2: 2 MSI GTX 1080s in SLI (the new one)

3: Infinite.

4 As I said, infanate. 

5 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Bang for buck - 6700k

WaveZ choice - 5820k

Calling a 6700k bang for your buck is actually beyond retarded. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

A Xeon?

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

It basically comes down to architecture and clock speed. Right now the 6700K is the best. While it's still largely unconfirmed if >4 cores has a meaningful impact in DX12/Vulkan games in real-world scenarios, it's a good choice and you have no real reason for getting anything higher unless you want a multi-GPU setup.

The reason why the 6700K is the winner for now is because it has the highest clock speed out of all the high-end i7 processors, while having the requisite number of cores to run demanding games (4). You'll notice that CPUs with more cores also have lower clock speeds, which often leads to decreased performance when it comes to gaming. This is because a lot of games are still heavily single-threaded, meaning that the bulk of the operations are done on one thread or core. Because of this it is beneficial to have the most powerful single core performance you can muster.

That being said, the 6600K is pretty much just as capable but you'll have to OC it some to get it to the level of the 6700K. You also might lost a bit of performance on games that can utilize hyperthreading, but it's a very small amount.

12 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Bang for buck - 6700k

WaveZ choice - 5820k

The 6700K will still beat the 5960X/6950X due to better IPC. I would say the best bang for the buck is the 6600K.

9 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

A Xeon?

Best?  No.

Some games struggle with core counts greater than 8 (GTA-V for example).

Also, Xeons are usually clocked lower.

Technically the best CPU for gaming is probably the i7-6700K… it's as good as the 6600K and occasionally edges it out, and it's higher clock speed and faster architecture usually makes it as good or better than Haswell-E/Broadwell-E in games.

Where it gets a little hazier is that basically everything from the i5-6600K and up all perform within a few percentage points of each other in most games, and so the i5-6600K is probably the most reasonable option for a pure gaming system unless money is no object.

for games if the game only uses 2 cores then a heavily overclocked skylake pentium(with the new asrock boards if intel doesn't kill them), if the game uses at most 4 cores then a heavily overclocked skylake i5, and if the game uses more the 4 cores then a a heavily overclocked skylake i7/ extreme edition broadwell/haswell i7(not sure if the skylake extreme edition i7's have been released or not)

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

no you don't

I was exaggerating, but I do have ALOT of money. 

16 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

'Best' would be the i7 6700K but the i5 6600K should be more than an adequate since hyperthreading isn't used frequently within games.

No, the i7 6700K remains the 'best' CPU performance-wise for gaming.

True, I have a mindset that everyone with a high end PC will use it for more than just gaming even though OP blatantly said specifically for gaming.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

24 minutes ago, alexyy said:

Calling a 6700k bang for your buck is actually beyond retarded. 

Maybe in your country jackass.

Which best gaming CPU is better bang for your buck?

As clarified earlier it's the best gaming CPU

Hyperthreading-Turbobost-Good Overclocker

You can get it under $300us

3 minutes ago, Willovax said:

What is that in actual value? 2500? 2000?6000?

2 minutes ago, Willovax said:

Well, the i5-6600K gets recommended not because it's better than the i7's, it's because it's cheaper and still gets you 95% of the performance most of the time. If you want to spend more, my personal recommendation would be the i7-6700K for a single or dual-GPU system, or an i7-5820K if you would use the extra PCIe lanes. I don't see any gaming value in going higher than that, regardless of your budget.

1 minute ago, Yoobsterlol said:

What is that in actual value? 2500? 2000?6000?

Well the value for the PC as a whole is $15,000 including peripherals. Although I do not see myself of using it all because I have to, and specifically for the CPU I can go basically anywhere. 

1 minute ago, Willovax said:

Well the value for the PC as a whole is $15,000 including peripherals. Although I do not see myself of using it all because I have to, and specifically for the CPU I can go basically anywhere. 

Or I should say my budget for the PC as a whole is $15,000.