RX 480 by Asus

The Realist
2 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Right now I have 3 MSI-based PCs of various ages and performances (and pricepoints) and they're all working fine and are a pleasure to tinker with. My Asus based PC is a pain to deal with (it's an older AM2 based PC that I barely use and is mostly intended as a back-up in case my streaming machine is down)

just a random thing but i hate supermicro motherboards such a pain in the ass to deal with them, i have a dual socket server board from them and configuration and troubleshooting that system is a pain in the ass. downside is that is currently my main system until it either becomes obsolete or i end up selling it. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

40 minutes ago, The Realist said:

We have one of our first RX 480's with a look similar to the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 full name : Asus ROG Strix Radeon RX 480 (long name...)

1467228455226.jpg

8d4cd9e0392c48babfe85429bc2433e5.png

I certainly want myself a new "grahics" card. xD

(typo from https://rog.asus.com/23792016/coming-soon/asus-republic-of-gamers-introduces-strix-rx-480-graphics-card/)

1 minute ago, The Realist said:

MSI is Micro-Star International,MSI is a company,MSI is love and life xD

Used my 270X to play games in 4k. It's a 2 gig card that pushed at least 30fps in a few party games (Move or die, Speedrunners, Gangbeasts and a couple other I don't remember the names of)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

15 minutes ago, A/C said:

I gotta say. I've handed my GTX 560ti Hawk card to my brother when I got the ASUS 280X and the biggest shock was HOW LOUD THE DCU WAS compared to the hawk twin frozer cooler, but i forgot about it over the years.

2 days ago I took it upon myself to clean up his rig, and overclock it jus a bit and I was yet again shocked how silent that card is under load. Stock fan curves, the thing stays in low 50s and you almost can't hear it. The fans look tiny in comparison tho' :D

Man the difference in sound is huge, and the hawk runs super cool compared to my 280X.

the only cards from asus i love is the original Strix series,nowadayz Strix is sucking so bad

pressshot.jpg

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

16 minutes ago, A/C said:

I gotta say. I've handed my GTX 560ti Hawk card to my brother when I got the ASUS 280X and the biggest shock was HOW LOUD THE DCU WAS compared to the hawk twin frozer cooler, but i forgot about it over the years.

2 days ago I took it upon myself to clean up his rig, and overclock it jus a bit and I was yet again shocked how silent that card is under load. Stock fan curves, the thing stays in low 50s and you almost can't hear it. The fans look tiny in comparison tho' :D

Man the difference in sound is huge, and the hawk runs super cool compared to my 280X.

Was referring to the high failure rate they had for their fans.

Msi always aims for silence, but their fans don't push much air through the cards. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I wonder what's in their repertoire of surprises this time, maybe they'll go with the 25% of sourced VRAM NAND corrupted again, (or barely overclockable) or maybe one of those mystery heatpipes that don't touch anything, or coil whine? All of the above even!? Let's stay tuned.

I want to see what HiS do, they usually have the nicest looks (apart from the discoloured gold they went for not so long ago)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

But why... 

The cooler really doesn't need to be so long. That's overkill. Sapphire has a much more reasonable approach. 

- snip-

28 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

But why... 

The cooler really doesn't need to be so long. That's overkill. Sapphire has a much more reasonable approach. 

Well I agree with you, but on the other hand having that many fans would enable them to keep it much quieter.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

1 hour ago, The Realist said:

Jeste vi dobili RX 480? Mi u srbiji jesmo kosta $350 za reference design sto je suludo

Tu je skoro isto. As far as I can see it's 330 for xfx reference. There are aupposed to be so some at 265 but they're apparently sold only in 1 shope I've never dealt with. English speaking forum, should write everything in eng except in dedicated threads. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

13 minutes ago, M4st4M1nd said:

Well I agree with you, but on the other hand having that many fans would enable them to keep it much quieter.

Yeah, and a larger heatsink could mean better passive cooling... 

Idk. Guess it's to the buyers use case on what they want. 

- snip-

I dont get why people care about looks. Most of us just put the card into the pc and wont ever look at it again

2 hours ago, ModuleLFS said:

Sapphire cards looking boring as always

Better than infantile looking cards from ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI. And now EVGA jumped the boat too, I prefer the previous generation EVGA coolers.

Sapphire and XFX are the only ones that looks decent without the silly lines, curves and RGB.

Sapphire-Nitro-Cards.jpg

R9390_Card_Only.png

2-EVGA-GTX-970-SC-ACX-2.0.jpg

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

Going to remain cautiously pessimistic of the STRIX. Current bet is that the cooling is crap but I would be happy for ASUS to prove me wrong. So far, the three fans and the RGB lighting isn't that enticing.

Was kinda hoping the cheese grater Nitro was a fake. Looks better in black though, but it's no Toxic :PCooling is almost guaranteed to be good knowing Sapphire.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

8 minutes ago, ApolloFury said:

Better than infantile looking cards from ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI. And now EVGA jumped the boat too, I prefer the previous generation EVGA coolers.

Sapphire and XFX are the only ones that looks decent without the silly lines, curves and RGB.

Sapphire-Nitro-Cards.jpg

R9390_Card_Only.png

dont forget MSI with Sapphire and XFX,i mean its not bad to have curves and RGB there are people who care about that but adding that to a $240 card is sooo fucking stupid,at that budget people just buy it put it in any case and hope it runs there needs

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

Who the f*ck dares to say that Sapphire makes "boring" GPUs?!?!?!

11227-04_R9_290_Vapor-X_TRI-X_4GBGDDR5_D

19c.jpg

On a more serious note, the RX 480 looks cool, but I would NEVER buy a GPU from CRAPSUS.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Who the f*ck dares to say that Sapphire makes "boring" GPUs?!?!?!

-snip-

-snip-

The most clever of color schemes on the planet; a shade of blue that only makes sense in a nursery.

Outside of that, no, not too outstanding.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

5 hours ago, ModuleLFS said:

Sapphire cards looking boring as always

No way, that card looks amazing.  I don't really like the flashy cards going around.  Most of the 1080's are terrible looking. 

5 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Oh hell yes. It looks amazing c: Hope it has a single 8 pin :P

Sapphireed said on a stream it has an 8 pin, but only needs a 6 pin ...

Let's agree to disagree

2 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

Sapphireed said on a stream it has an 8 pin, but only needs a 6 pin ...

So far it appears to need an 8 pin due to the power consumption shenanigans :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

5 hours ago, The Realist said:

We have one of our first RX 480's with a look similar to the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 full name : Asus ROG Strix Radeon RX 480 (long name...)

1467228455226.jpg

To be honest, I'd buy it.

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

So far it appears to need an 8 pin due to the power consumption shenanigans :P

Meh idc about power consumption tbh

Its alot faster then my 760 4GB and still consumes less power

Let's agree to disagree

1 minute ago, MrTiC said:

Meh idc about power consumption tbh

Its alot faster then my 760 4GB and still consumes less power

No, it's drawing an average of 15W more than the max rating of the PCIe power slot causing people to go insane xD

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

No, it's drawing an average of 15W more than the max rating of the PCIe power slot causing people to go insane xD

Didn't you lose an argument about this yesterday?

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Didn't you lose an argument about this yesterday?

Not lose, I surrendered. Because I A: cannot argue and B: No one understands my logic (aka who gives a shit, if you have a crappy motherboard then you should prioritise that upgrade somewhere else. Also, a company lied, big deal)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats