RX 480 review is OUT!

Megazero

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

So they failed again...

I dont want NVidia to have the monopoly all the time.....AMD get your shit together!!

Well, the pricerange is ok though. They should make more clear that they dont even try to reach high tier lvl.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

LOL...i guess in like 13 hrs from now, if i watch all of the content on my youtube subscribed channels...i should have a good understanding of how it really performs...anyone watched all of that already?

Capture.png

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

23 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

How is bumping the performance of a new release up a tier for the same price downgrading a series? 

Nvidia did the same exact thing. 

Bumping up a tier? Thats a pretty poor bump up. It barely reaches the same performance as a 390 and from what I've seen this thing is going to cost nearly the same in Europe. So kinda hooray if you're american I suppose and tough luck for everyone else.

10 minutes ago, Demiqas said:

So kinda hooray if you're american I suppose and tough luck for everyone else.

Not really.  I have to wait what the 1060 and 1050 will be like.  Given the 1070 is Titan X level at $450.  I'm guessing the 1060 would be in between the 980 and 980ti.  The 1050 would probably fall into a 970 OC performance level.  If they price that 1050 around the 480's level, that would be more appropriate.

This is such a disappointment.  The 470 and 460 would be uber crap.  Like the gpus that Linus said were waste of money.

Zen better be good.  Otherwise AMD is finished.

Well, I've gone through some respectable reviewers' videos (jayz, Linus and Sc.St.) and the RX 480 performs decently, not mind boggling performance like some people expected (because of overhype). Not considering OC performance, the stock RX 480 is as fast as a decently OC'ed 970, so it is worth the value I'd say.

Thumbs up for this card.

New perf/dollar king!!!

CPU i5 6600k @ 4.6GHz GPU MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G RAM 8 x 2gb DDR4-2800MHz Avexir RAM Mother Board ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Case NZXT H440 PSU Cooler Master v750 750W Storage WD 1TB Blue + Samsung 950 pro 128gb m.2 pci-e SSD Cooler Corsair H110i GTX

Monitor BenQ BL2420PT 24" 1440p 60Hz

23 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

LOL...i guess in like 13 hrs from now, if i watch all of the content on my youtube subscribed channels...i should have a good understanding of how it really performs...anyone watched all of that already?

Capture.png

Tiens, un frenchie :)

Man, AMD fans... First the 480 was as powerful as a 980, then it overclocked to a Fury, then the cooler was the best reference cooler ever.

Now?

"wait for the drivers" and ignoring the performance of the cooler. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

So glad I bought my 1080 B|

i7 6700k  ·  Asus Z170 - A  · MSI GTX 1080 FE  ·  32gb HyperX 2133  ·  2tb Toshiba 7200 Red  ·   120gb Sandisk SSD  ·   480gb Sandisk SSD  ·  Fractal Design Define S  ·  BenQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440 Freesync

7 minutes ago, latentjones said:

So glad I bought my 1080 B|

And it'll remain at that price for a long while.

AMD  keeping Nvidia prices high

2 minutes ago, wasd said:

And it'll remain at that price for a long while.

AMD  keeping Nvidia prices high

So much for the rebellion xD 

c15bd8dd07597744cc7e02de196bbcacf9486406

lol the gtx 970 and rx 480 have the same price in sweden  and my 970 g1 pretty much beats a 980 stock so im good

Chassi:Fractal Define S Mobo:Z97 anniversary Cpu:I5-4670k@4,2 ghz Gpu:Gigabyte g1 970 Cpu Cooler:Hyper 212 evo Ram:16 gb 1600 mhz ddr3 crucial SSD:Samsung 850 evo 250gb 2x

I have to agree with Luke, this is by far the best bang for the buck on the market. The only question is when will I buy it. Probably during the first sales.

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

I have to agree with Luke, this is by far the best bang for the buck on the market. The only question is when will I buy it. Probably during the first sales.

I heard you get a date with either one of these guys with purchase.

DSCN3080-930x698.jpg

3 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

They used the 4g models 200us price point, most will pick up the 8g at 239us. And the thing run hot as ****. 

390 is still the King of price/performance. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

They used the 4g models 200us price point, most will pick up the 8g at 239us. And the thing run hot as ****

390 is still the King of price/performance. 

83 degrees at stock for a small die with a break-thru cooler is inexcusable.

Hardware Canucks does a great job summarizing benchmarks against comparable cards.  In his summary, the 480 is 5% faster than reference 970 at 1080p and 10% faster at 1440p.  It is not fair to compare the 480 reference against 970 OC.  We should wait for aftermarket 480 designs to make that comparison. 

Hardware Canucks

I don't know why you people are so disappointed.  This is exactly what AMD was aiming for - great performance for $200.  And everybody has come to expect reference cards to run loud and hot.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I would buy a 390 once they hit the $200 mark.

2 minutes ago, wasd said:

83 degrees at stock for a small die with a break-thru cooler is inexcusable.

And over 90 when you try to overclock it? Really? Do you think the AMD coffee clutch here will call the RX 480 the "fanboy edition" too? Or should we expect hypocrisy?

3 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Hardware Canucks does a great job summarizing benchmarks against comparable cards.  In his summary, the 480 is 5% faster than reference 970 at 1080p and 10% faster at 1440p.  It is not fair to compare the 480 reference against 970 OC.  We should wait for aftermarket 480 designs to make that comparison. 

Hardware Canucks

I don't know why you people are so disappointed.  This is exactly what AMD was aiming for - great performance for $200.  And everybody has come to expect reference cards to run loud and hot.

And when a overclocked 970 beats the AIB 480, then what? What excuse then?

1 minute ago, App4that said:

And over 90 when you try to overclock it? Really? Do you think the AMD coffee clutch here will call the RX 480 the "fanboy edition" too? Or should we expect hypocrisy?

it is ridiculous that both AMD and Nvidia have still not realized that their shitty reference coolers are completely worthless.  Give us enough of a heatsink to keep temps reasonable and maybe more people would buy the fanboy editions.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

The rumours seemed so much more positive than this, specs wise it should perform much closer to the 390x/980 and the AOTS benchmark saying 2x 480s used less power than a 1080 made it seem as though they made a 90w card that performed equally with the 980 and ran cool with OCing headroom due to its low TDP. It's not a bad card, and unlike the 970 it's only going to get better in the future judging by the past.

I can see in Tom's Hardware's review that it's not that power efficient at all. Maybe that's what had to be traded for high performance and low price. For me, it means I'll stick with my 750 Ti to save the polar bears. Any rumor on a successor?