RX 480 review is OUT!

Megazero
2 minutes ago, App4that said:

And when a overclocked 970 beats the AIB 480, then what? What excuse then?

What are you talking about?  the reference 480 already beats the reference 970 by 5% to 10%.  it seems unlikely the OC 970 will beat OC 480.  Even if it does, it will be by a small margin.  Doesn't really matter, the 480 is in a different price range even with the latest round of price cuts for Maxwell.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

3 minutes ago, l__T__l said:

The rumours seemed so much more positive than this, specs wise it should perform much closer to the 390x/980 and the AOTS benchmark saying 2x 480s used less power than a 1080 made it seem as though they made a 90w card that performed equally with the 980 and ran cool with OCing headroom due to its low TDP. It's not a bad card, and unlike the 970 it's only going to get better in the future judging by the past.

1080 more power efficient than Nano.  Holy balls.

I really don't get the mindset of some people... I'd definitely expect some major hypocrisy from certain users and we've all seen the widespread denial throughout the forum and to 'wait for drivers'.

Truth is, the card is about as efficient as the 28nm Maxwell GTX 970 and falls short in performance to the R9 390. What's exactly stopping me from getting the much better cooled R9 390 over the reference RX 480 8GB for about the same price (or cheaper)? If that isn't disappointing, then I don't know what is.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

What are you talking about?  the reference 480 already beats the reference 970 by 5% to 10%.  it seems unlikely the OC 970 will beat OC 480.  Even if it does, it will be by a small margin.  Doesn't really matter, the 480 is in a different price range even with the latest round of price cuts for Maxwell.  

The 480 does not beat a reference 970 by even 5% lol

If anyone asks you never saw me.

so...i watched many of the reviews...this card is barely R9 290 performance for 250$...yeah...no!

we tought the RX 480 would completely obsolete the GTX 970 from nvidia...looking at prices and performance right now in a multitude of games benchmarked by the various outlets...it's more the other way around.
There are GTX 970's available for around 250$ new right now...and used GTX 980 going for about that price point as well...both of which outperform the new AMD card and offer a far better feature set.

Capture.png

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

LOL, after watching a few more benchmark, I want to have all people who keep saying ToT Bench is not valid here and say "In Your Face!", it would be a satisfied feeling.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log