Java or Python for first language?

OkLoL
On 6/26/2016 at 1:29 AM, dlink377 said:

I actually learnt Java first. It has so hard to code without IDE, seriously, it is nightmare, even for professional coder.

I only learned Python just because Raspberry Pi. It is so much easier. You can use PyCharm IDE to help to make it easier.

I do recommend learning Python as the first language, and play with Raspberry Pi!

Yeah coz we're Asians! But I first learned Turbo C before anything else. It was a good starting language.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

IPython (now called Jupyter) is really awesome.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

On 6/25/2016 at 2:50 AM, mathijs727 said:

If you want to learn basic programming the Python.

But Java may be better for object orientated programming as its very similar in synttax to C# and C++.

I actually think the similarities between c++ and java made it harder for me to learn c++. There are minor differences that are very hard to understand when switching from java to c++ imo.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Learn Python, but remember JAVA is more popular.  You may be able to find a job faster.

I am Perl programmer and would recommend learning Perl as well for lots of backend uses.

On 6/27/2016 at 7:05 AM, jimistephen said:

Well, interpreted languages are SLOW compared to compiled languages. The difference between C++ and Python are horrendous at times. I have a program that hunts for vampire numbers, which are numbers who have factors made up of all the same digits in the number itself (1260 is the lowest with 21 * 60 being the fangs) and I can find all the ones too 1,000,000 in about 3 seconds in C++. In Python I can do it in 5 or 6. It's not a big difference in something like that, but if it's a large program you can see the problem. Note though the C++ program is 400-500 lines and I think the Python one is about 150.

I think people still dont understand programming, they fight too much with the topic "what language to use", did anyone told you, you are not allowed to use other languages at the same time?

If your application is performance critical like a 3D renderer you write it all in C++.

If not you can use python for productivity, and if need may be that 1 or 2 functions from your whole program run too slow you can code them in C++ make a C++ wrapper for python and invoke it there.

And yes you should probably know both languages, start with python get very good at it, master it, then learn C++ at least the basics.

Seems pretty obvious that I am too late.  Sorry.  Anyway, I learned Java first.  Many games use that, so if you want to mod for them, use Java.  I learned Java to make plugins for a Minecraft server.  Java was very easy to learn all of the basics of from a book (Java for Dummies) and some YouTube videos.  Java also has excellent IDEs for it, like Eclipse or Android Studio (for Android apps).  I now have moved on from Minecraft and onto apps for Android.  Unity is the only other good way to make Android apps.  Python is usually command line, unless you are making a big program or using a Raspberry Pi.  Up to you, and what you want to do.

FYI:  Android apps are pretty simple once you know the basics, and it's $25 once for an account.  Apple is $99/yr and you need a Mac.  Ew.

Need help deciding on building computer?  Message me, I can help decide on parts.  

don't do python, you'll love it too much like me and stop using other languages :P

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Or: Do Python, understand why it's not suitable for everything, refrain from recommending it to everyone. :P

Like me.

Write in C.

45 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Or: Do Python, understand why it's not suitable for everything, refrain from recommending it to everyone. :P

Like me.

It's a great language but i wouldn't create any GUI with it, I have never tried. c# would be where I go too. However python is a great starter as it has an easy to use syntax and that allows you to learn the logical side of programming without needing to first learn the syntax. 

Python is nice for prototyping and I admit that Flask is one of the easiest ways to put up a web interface for anything (behind PHP, of course). But indentation should never be a syntax feature.

Write in C.

20 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Python is nice for prototyping and I admit that Flask is one of the easiest ways to put up a web interface for anything (behind PHP, of course). But indentation should never be a syntax feature.

does teach you good indentation. I do miss my curly brackets and ;

My editor does good indentation for me. Also, I'm not convinced that a language knows better than me which indentation makes the code more readable.

Yes, the missing brackets are another disadvantage. Refactoring Python code without the ability to just add an if condition and a few brackets is highly annoying.

Write in C.

Don't want to start a new topic, I feel like this is just a minor question, do you guys think it is possible to actually learn and be proficient with Python just by learning it on Codecademy?

"Every library that can be written in JavaScript will be rewritten in JavaScript."

Skip java and python and jump aboard the hype train. Angular, Ember, react, backbone, Coffee script, typescript, nodejs, electron, elm, closure. Front-end, back-end, side-end, frameworks galore, pre-processors, post-processors, JavaScript virtual-machines, virtual JavaScript machines.

The madness continues!

39 minutes ago, Tom is a Door said:

Don't want to start a new topic, I feel like this is just a minor question, do you guys think it is possible to actually learn and be proficient with Python just by learning it on Codecademy?

No. Codeacademy is horrible, you won't even have a basic understanding at the end.

48 minutes ago, fizzlesticks said:

No. Codeacademy is horrible, you won't even have a basic understanding at the end.

Seconded. It's garbage. Yet widely regarded to be excellent by "empowered" novices.

7 hours ago, SSL said:

Seconded. It's garbage. Yet widely regarded to be excellent by "empowered" novices.

long time no see in this section :P

have to agree I used it to learn python but I've already done OOP for a number of years in education so for me it was about learning the syntax. Which code academy helped quote a bit.

14 hours ago, fizzlesticks said:

5 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

long time no see in this section :P

have to agree I used it to learn python but I've already done OOP for a number of years in education so for me it was about learning the syntax. Which code academy helped quote a bit.

13 hours ago, SSL said:

So would following youtube tutorials would better choice for me?

1 minute ago, Tom is a Door said:

So would following youtube tutorials would better choice for me?

I gave a couple online courses which I recommend above.

I swear by the "sololearn" tutorials for python and many others, well organized little explainations and a community where you can ask questions, but they don't take you by the hand there, you have to do quite much yourself which I find productive.

• 1 month later...
On 25.6.2016 at 6:57 AM, Enderman said:

python for sure

because java is a complete mess of code that absolutely does not help learning at all

with python you can focus on learning how to actually code and not memorizing what weird word and symbo you need to use in 12 special cases and 8 exceptions

python is also more translatable to other languages which will make learning other stuff easier than if you started with java

This is so wrong. Have you ever even programmed in Java (Note: a hello world does not count... :))? 

52 minutes ago, probE466 said:

This is so wrong. Have you ever even programmed in Java (Note: a hello world does not count... :))? 

java has now exponent, in python you 1 ** 6 and in c# 1^6.

I believe you need to math.exp(1,6) in java, no one needs to deal with that!

3 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

java has now exponent, in python you 1 ** 6 and in c# 1^6.

I believe you need to math.exp(1,6) in java, no one needs to deal with that!

Well, its Math.pow(BASE, EXPONENT) iirc, which is a wrapper around the * function, just like ** in python. It is a little verbose but if thats too much for anyone, they should go back to "Big Blocks"

2 hours ago, probE466 said:

Well, its Math.pow(BASE, EXPONENT) iirc, which is a wrapper around the * function, just like ** in python. It is a little verbose but if thats too much for anyone, they should go back to "Big Blocks"

for me its just down to time, having ** is faster that math.pow() more time to code.