Bought one. No regrets

47 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Did you just pull that out of yer ass yer dumb dumb?

I totally meant fallen earth.

Yep, no idea where I got tomatoes from. Must be all the television I don't watch. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Got my 1080 EVGA superclock about 1.5 weeks ago, no looking back.  Its running at a chilly 59c @ 2049mhz(55%fan speed,no voltage tweak) performance through the roof ofc.

im in work today and my boss just offered me a good price for my nold macbook and a colleague offered me a fair price for my 970, the same colleague has just gone to pick me up a 1080 so thats on its way back to me now, im happy to join the club!

12 hours ago, latentjones said:

I was going to wait for the RX 480 but I gave in to the temptation. 

This thing is a beast. No regrets buying the FE either as I managed to get a stable 2.1ghz oc with custom fan curve and upped power limit. No voltage increase.

Did you set up a custom fan profile to prevent thermal-throttling?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

8 hours ago, Pohernori said:

Who's the "we"?

Sorry the nvidia club always looks at superior features. So you talking about performance took me aback. xD

Qoute me in the post where i said op shouldn't have bought a 1080 or should regret buying a 1080.

Would an EK water block be superior enough? That's the plan.  

I'm confused as to what these 'superior features' are though. Sure more power phases, more connectors etc. Still can't increase the oc much more than FE (aside from perhaps the Gigabyte Extreme - reported to be able to hit 2.5 on air. Although I'd like to see evidence).

Do any of these features beat a watercooled FE? 

I don't think so.

What 1080 have you got?

i7 6700k  ·  Asus Z170 - A  · MSI GTX 1080 FE  ·  32gb HyperX 2133  ·  2tb Toshiba 7200 Red  ·   120gb Sandisk SSD  ·   480gb Sandisk SSD  ·  Fractal Design Define S  ·  BenQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440 Freesync

50 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Did you set up a custom fan profile to prevent thermal-throttling?

Yeah it's pictured earlier in this thread.

i7 6700k  ·  Asus Z170 - A  · MSI GTX 1080 FE  ·  32gb HyperX 2133  ·  2tb Toshiba 7200 Red  ·   120gb Sandisk SSD  ·   480gb Sandisk SSD  ·  Fractal Design Define S  ·  BenQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440 Freesync

And I'm just here with my 290 awaiting a new cooling setup so the VRMs don't stay at 110 (don't worry, it's not actually the important ones)... I hope it can get 1200 or more under water :P Currently sat at 1180 c:

@whoever is OP have fun with your 1080 c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

8 minutes ago, latentjones said:

Would an EK water block be superior enough? That's the plan.  

Dunno, why are looking at me for approval?

11 minutes ago, latentjones said:

I'm confused as to what these 'superior features' are though. Sure more power phases, more connectors etc. Still can't increase the oc much more than FE (aside from perhaps the Gigabyte Extreme - reported to be able to hit 2.5 on air. Although I'd like to see evidence).

That was to poke fun at the nvidia fanboy's philosophy of "performance is not everything" FE is different, you pay more for less.

16 minutes ago, latentjones said:

Do any of these features beat a watercooled FE? 

I don't think so.

Watercooled reference board or watercooled custom board, choose.

17 minutes ago, latentjones said:

What 1080 have you got?

So you want to go that route huh? What property do you own?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 hour ago, Pohernori said:

That was to poke fun at the nvidia fanboy's philosophy of "performance is not everything" FE is different, you pay more for less.

You might want to check out the pricing and performance. Because you're wrong. The more AIB 1080s tested the better the FE looks. Like I said, look at the MSI Gaming X. It was shipped to reviewers with a custom bios to offer the best performance and was even hand picked to be the best examples they had. Costs more than a FE and only offers a single frame of improvement compared to the FE from the tests done by some reviewers. 

19 minutes ago, App4that said:

You might want to check out the pricing and performance. Because you're wrong. The more AIB 1080s tested the better the FE looks. Like I said, look at the MSI Gaming X. It was shipped to reviewers with a custom bios to offer the best performance and was even hand picked to be the best examples they had. Costs more than a FE and only offers a single frame of improvement compared to the FE from the tests done by some reviewers. 

So just "performance" matters now? Make up yer damn minds xD 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

So just "performance" matters now? Make up yer damn minds xD 

When did I say that? The AIB 1080s have not been offering a value, this makes the FE a consideration. 

I know camp red is rebelling against performance right now, but some of us have demanding monitors to power xD

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

When did I say that? The AIB 1080s have not been offering a value, this makes the FE a consideration. 

Well, from the fact that you conveniently left out all the features after market cards offer. Let's take "gaming X" that you only seem to be mentioning for example 9_9

- Bling Bling Lights

- TF6 cooler

- Quieter

- Cooler

- No power throttling issues

- Better power delivery 

10 minutes ago, App4that said:

I know camp red is rebelling against performance right now, but some of us have demanding monitors to power xD

144Hz issue

Shit drivers

Nvidia Control panel keeps crashing

Lovely. 

Well, from the fact that you conveniently left out all the features after market cards offer. Let's take "gaming X" that you only seem to be mentioning for example 9_9

- Bling Bling Lights

- TF6 cooler

- Quieter

- Cooler

- No power throttling issues

- Better power delivery 

144Hz issue

Shit drivers

Nvidia Control panel keeps crashing

Lovely. 

The Gaming X does run cooler, but it also dumps heat into your case. The FE doesn't have the issues you give it, even Jay proved this. 

144hz problem was fixed a driver back, never had the control panel crash and I haven't had a issue with drivers.

You sound like a nVidia fan, you know that right? 

2 hours ago, latentjones said:

Yeah it's pictured earlier in this thread.

with your fan curve my 1080 tops out at 83c after 1 hr 30 mins to 2 hrs of gaming I'm just concerned with running that high of a temp for too long

i7 12700k/Asus Tuf z690/32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHZ/EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/Samsung 980 Pro 1TB/Asus 2540x1440p 165hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

10 minutes ago, App4that said:

The Gaming X does run cooler, but it also dumps heat into your case. The FE doesn't have the issues you give it, even Jay proved this. 

yes please tell me its quiet

11 minutes ago, App4that said:

144hz problem was fixed a driver back, never had the control panel crash and I haven't had a issue with drivers.

Yea "fixed"

wot.jpg

And apparently it flickers as well. Good lord.

https://m.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4mz4wa/driver_36839_faqdiscussion_thread/

53 minutes ago, App4that said:

You sound like a nVidia fan, you know that right? 

I am the hardest one. :> 

5 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

yes please tell me its quiet

Yea "fixed"

wot.jpg

And apparently it flickers as well. Good lord.

https://m.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4mz4wa/driver_36839_faqdiscussion_thread/

I am the hardest one. :> 

God stop xD 

I could burry you in complaints from AMD users. People bitch, we're good at it. There isn't a product in existence someone isn't bitching about. Look hard enough and I bet you'll find someone bitching about a free BJ. 

If you don't like Nvidia, stop taking about them so much ;) 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

God stop xD 

I could burry you in complaints from AMD users. People bitch, we're good at it. There isn't a product in existence someone isn't bitching about. Look hard enough and I bet you'll find someone bitching about a free BJ. 

If if you don't like Nvidia, stop taking about them so much ;) 

Go ahead :> No ones stopping you. I give flak to AMD for stupid mistakes so I don't see why i can't give nvidia some xD 

Its not that I don't like nvidia. Its that some people don't like me talking shit about nvidia. Only the nvidia fan club never leaves me alone for some reason. 

3 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Go ahead :> No ones stopping you. I give flak to AMD for stupid mistakes so I don't see why i can't give nvidia some xD 

Its not that I don't like nvidia. Its that some people don't like me talking shit about nvidia. Only the nvidia fan club never leaves me alone for some reason. 

It's when you make statements like the drivers sucking that there's an issue. No different than if I said AMD drivers suck. Both have good days any bad days. .39 has been VERY good to me. 

12 minutes ago, App4that said:

It's when you make statements like the drivers sucking that there's an issue. No different than if I said AMD drivers suck. Both have good days any bad days. .39 has been VERY good to me. 

Oh wow, do I have to mention the AMD drivers suck every time I mention nvidia's shitty drivers? xD

You guysssss xD 

Oh wow, do I have to mention the AMD drivers suck every time I mention nvidia's shitty drivers? xD

You guysssss xD 

That's not what I said. I equated saying Nvidia's drivers suck to saying AMD's drivers suck. Because it's the same thing. 

And 99.99999999999999% of the time when someone says a driver sucks it's pure trolling. What makes a driver suck? That's subjective. I want smooth gameplay and the best fps I can get. If that comes with an eject button I could care less. 

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

And 99.99999999999999% of the time when someone says a driver sucks it's pure trolling. 

So, are you trolling? xD 

Well this thread changed in tone. It always descends into chaos. 

I think some people are just too hard to please. 

I think even if I said - 'bought Gaming X no regrets' someone would say 

'Nooooo Should have waited for the 1080ti' 

As for drivers. I have been AMD forever. Both AMD and Nvidia have bad versions. The FE had fan speed issues after launch. That has now been fixed. My 390's had bad day 1 drivers but they also got fixed. Is it even a talking point? 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Well, yeah. Like how long have you known me?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh then 2 trolls in one thread must have given OP a damn headache xD 

@OP We are so sorri :< 

3 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh then 2 trolls in one thread must have given OP a damn headache xD 

@OP We are so sorri :< 

troll.jpg