Do nonoverclockable cpu's work in boards that support overclocking?

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

2 minutes ago, The Dragon said:

Yes

Of course. The socket type on k-skew CPUs is no different from their non-k counterparts, and the socket type is what determines mobo compatibility.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

Any mobo with a compatable socket will work with its respective CPU, but a K series CPU can only overclock with an overclocking chipset. Everything else will work fine.

Actually there are a couple of boards that can oc non k CPUs. Asus and asrock if i remember correctly

9 minutes ago, Pankaic said:

Of course. The socket type on k-skew CPUs is no different from their non-k counterparts, and the socket type is what determines mobo compatibility.

7 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Any mobo with a compatable socket will work

it's the chipset actually - LGA771 mod to LGA775 ??

the socket is occasionally there to prevent sad people from trying, but that doesn't stop people like this:

vALJU72.jpg

And yes non-K CPUs are compatible with P and Z chipsets like the rest of the family

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

7 minutes ago, Silencer said:

Actually there are a couple of boards that can oc non k CPUs. Asus and asrock if i remember correctly

not anymore

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

not anymore

I believe it's still possible with some z boards and a non k of bios

8 minutes ago, Silencer said:

I believe it's still possible with some z boards and a non k of bios

yeah but you have to load a custom bios to it

they dont come with it anymore because intel told them to stop

so as long as you're ok with modding your BIOS and potentially bricking your board, then sure

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 hours ago, Enderman said:

yeah but you have to load a custom bios to it

they dont come with it anymore because intel told them to stop

so as long as you're ok with modding your BIOS and potentially bricking your board, then sure

You can just download an old build, not really "modding" :P

11 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

You can just download an old build, not really "modding" :P

only if there is one available for your motherboard

if there isnt you have to mod it yourself rather than just using someone's mediafire download or whatever which is pretty risky IMO

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Enderman said:

only if there is one available for your motherboard

if there isnt you have to mod it yourself rather than just using someone's mediafire download or whatever which is pretty risky IMO

Yeah, I meant assuming it was possible before Intel shut it down

The board I used for my brother's 6500 OC still has some overclocking BIOS versions up on its site

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

19 hours ago, DXMember said:

it's the chipset actually - LGA771 mod to LGA775 ??

the socket is occasionally there to prevent sad people from trying, but that doesn't stop people like this:

Reveal hidden contents

vALJU72.jpg

And yes non-K CPUs are compatible with P and Z chipsets like the rest of the family

Oh my fucking god why...

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats