Nvidia 1070 pricing

So I was thinking of getting a GTX 1070. I remember the price announced was $379. I want to buy one now, but for some reason, Nvidia and everyone else on the internet, are only selling 

the founders editions. So I thought the "founders edition" meant that more ~$450 you could get the 1070 straight from Nvidia and it would have slightly better cooling then the basic one that

they sell. It might still mean that ^, but now, on Nvidia's website they are only selling the founders edition for $449. Right now, they do have a slightly cheaper variation from MSI on

Massdrop.com, but it's expected shipping date is August 2nd, and I want to use it for the summer before I have to go to school, when I will have no time to use it. :( 

So i'm basically wondering, will Nvidia sell the 1070 for $379 anytime soon? And I know a lot of people in different forum posts were saying to NEVER get the founders editon because

it costs more for no reason and its louder. Could someone link me a good 1070 (founders edition or not, unless getting the founders edition is as bad as it sounds, then just aftermarket ones please)

Thanks! <3 <3 <3

3fcaaba73d42d0677787d8c3faa5c7bc.png

5 minutes ago, Matthew10550 said:

And also, will my build be bottlenecked?

d3d79429cdc54a2b2e03a68337100453.png

1070 is too strong for that CPU, you need to upgrade that as it will bottleneck the 1070

If you want a cheaper 1070 that also will run cooler the aftermarket ones are the way to go, the blower style cooler on the founders model may overheat.

And nvidia isn't selling the 1070 at the msrp, they will only be selling the founders card for the extra $100.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

2 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

If you want a cheaper 1070 that also will run cooler the aftermarket ones are the way to go, the blower style cooler on the founders model may overheat.

And nvidia isn't selling the 1070 at the msrp, they will only be selling the founders card for the extra $100.

Will it bottleneck my cpu though?

3 minutes ago, Matthew10550 said:

Will it bottleneck my cpu though?

Someone else already answered that ?

Yeah but I was just making sure if it was true or not, and if I could get some recommendations for LGA 1150 if it is true

What are some recommendations on a new LGA 1150 cpu?

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

16 minutes ago, Matthew10550 said:

Yeah but I was just making sure if it was true or not, and if I could get some recommendations for LGA 1150 if it is true

There are three LGA 1150 cpus worth considering to match with a 1070:

1. i5-4590 - This is the best price to performance chip out there. It's significantly faster than the cheaper i5s for not much more money. It runs at 3.5 GHz in quadcore loads while the i5-4460 and below run at 3.2 GHz and below in quadcore loads (which is basically any modern AAA game when run on an i5). They run about $190 or so.

2. Xeon E3-1231v3 - This gives you hyperthreading. Most games can make use of it, as the PS4 and XB1 are both (effective) octacores and that's what most AAA games are targeted at. This will run at 3.6 GHz on quadcore loads (4 to 8 threads active). These run about $250.

3. i7-4790k - This gives you hyperthreading and will run at 4.2 GHz on quadcore loads. Lesser H97 and H81 boards might have trouble meeting the voltage to get the full quadcore turbo (my old Gigabyte H81 board had a 1.2V vcore limit), but the H97I-Plus looks to have pretty robust power delivery. You won't be able to overclock, but still, 4.2 GHz is a really high clockspeed. Expect to spend around $315-$340. You might also want to buy an aftermarket cooler. Sometimes a 4790k can run on the stock heatsink at stock speeds, sometimes it's just not enough to properly cool it. The stock heatsink is fine for the other two (I personally run the stock cooler on my E3-1231v3 and it works great even in the middle of the summer in Texas).

Whichever one fits your budget is the one to get. The i5-4590 is excellent, as evidenced by it being the recommend cpu for both Rift and Vive, which need to run at 90 fps. The Xeon is unquestionably better than the i5 because of the hyperthreading, it helps out in many modern games. The i7-4790k is unquestionably better than the E3-1231v3 because higher clockspeed lifts up the poorly optimized and the well-optimized alike, while the hyperthreading only applies to the well-optimized.

9 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

There are three LGA 1150 cpus worth considering to match with a 1070:

1. i5-4590 - This is the best price to performance chip out there. It's significantly faster than the cheaper i5s for not much more money. It runs at 3.5 GHz in quadcore loads while the i5-4460 and below run at 3.2 GHz and below in quadcore loads (which is basically any modern AAA game when run on an i5). They run about $190 or so.

2. Xeon E3-1231v3 - This gives you hyperthreading. Most games can make use of it, as the PS4 and XB1 are both (effective) octacores and that's what most AAA games are targeted at. This will run at 3.6 GHz on quadcore loads (either 4 or 8 threads active). These run about $250.

3. i7-4790k - This gives you hyperthreading and will run at 4.2 GHz on quadcore loads. Lesser H97 and H81 boards might have trouble meeting the voltage to get the full quadcore turbo (my old Gigabyte H81 board had a 1.2V vcore limit), but the H97I-Plus looks to have pretty robust power delivery. You won't be able to overclock, but still, 4.2 GHz is a really high clockspeed. Expect to spend around $315-$340.

Whichever one fits your budget is the one to get. The i5-4590 is excellent, as evidenced by it being the recommend cpu for both Rift and Vive, which need to run at 90 fps. The Xeon is unquestionably better than the i5 because of the hyperthreading, it helps out in modern games. The 4790k is unquestionably better than the E3-1231v3 because higher clockspeed lifts up the poorly optimized and the well-optimized alike, while the hyperthreading only applies to the well-optimized.

Thanks!

I should say most new games can make use of HT, most old games won't. It's nowhere near the jump from an i3 to an i5 though, which is why I call the i5-4590 the best price to performance gaming chip on LGA 1150 when used with a non-overclockable motherboard. If you had a Z97 board the $230 i5-4690k would be the best price to performance cpu, but on an H97 board it will only run 3.7 GHz on quadcore loads.

1 hour ago, Matthew10550 said:

So I was thinking of getting a GTX 1070. I remember the price announced was $379. I want to buy one now, but for some reason, Nvidia and everyone else on the internet, are only selling 

the founders editions. So I thought the "founders edition" meant that more ~$450 you could get the 1070 straight from Nvidia and it would have slightly better cooling then the basic one that

they sell. It might still mean that ^, but now, on Nvidia's website they are only selling the founders edition for $449. Right now, they do have a slightly cheaper variation from MSI on

Massdrop.com, but it's expected shipping date is August 2nd, and I want to use it for the summer before I have to go to school, when I will have no time to use it. :( 

So i'm basically wondering, will Nvidia sell the 1070 for $379 anytime soon? And I know a lot of people in different forum posts were saying to NEVER get the founders editon because

it costs more for no reason and its louder. Could someone link me a good 1070 (founders edition or not, unless getting the founders edition is as bad as it sounds, then just aftermarket ones please)

Thanks! <3 <3 <3

3fcaaba73d42d0677787d8c3faa5c7bc.png

oh god cause im lazy, or you dont read the forums any cpu can bottleneck a gpu given a certain load it all varies no matter what. Also wait for the GTX 1070 non founder edition cards to come out (they need time to develop them).

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: you guys were all wrong, my i3 does not bottleneck a 1070

Yes it does, horribly. Maybe not in every game there is, but in most of them. A 1070 is comparable to a 980ti. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 hours ago, App4that said:

Yes it does, horribly. Maybe not in every game there is, but in most of them. A 1070 is comparable to a 980ti. 

It works fine though, a 1070 is comparable to a maxwell titan x

29 minutes ago, Matthew10550 said:

It works fine though, a 1070 is comparable to a maxwell titan x

A 980ti and Maxwell Titan X perform almost identically.

Your i3 bottlenecks a 1070. You might not be able to tell without a basis of comparison but it's happening. My 4690k bottlenecked my 290, and a 1070 is significantly faster than a 290.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Yes it will bottleneck, how hard? Somewhat hard @ 1600p normal. Not sure what resolution you play at but you should be able to get above 60 FPS at 1080p high-very high. Will there be hitching/stuttering? I'm going with my gut here and say no. An upgrade is recommended though just to be sure, an i5-4460 to be the very least.

http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

On 8/13/2016 at 4:55 PM, ybriK said:

Yes it will bottleneck, how hard? Somewhat hard @ 1600p normal. Not sure what resolution you play at but you should be able to get above 60 FPS at 1080p high-very high. Will there be hitching/stuttering? I'm going with my gut here and say no. An upgrade is recommended though just to be sure, an i5-4460 to be the very least.

http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

I did get an i5 4460 from my friend and yes, it does perform slightly better but I can tell you right now an i3 4150 WILL NOT bottleneck a 1070, on GTA V 1080p ultra settings I got just over 60fps, that is considered bottlenecking? smh

On 8/13/2016 at 4:52 PM, App4that said:

A 980ti and Maxwell Titan X perform almost identically.

Your i3 bottlenecks a 1070. You might not be able to tell without a basis of comparison but it's happening. My 4690k bottlenecked my 290, and a 1070 is significantly faster than a 290.

My i3 4150 didnt even bottleneck my old 270

9 minutes ago, Matthew10550 said:

I did get an i5 4460 from my friend and yes, it does perform slightly better but I can tell you right now an i3 4150 WILL NOT bottleneck a 1070, on GTA V 1080p ultra settings I got just over 60fps, that is considered bottlenecking? smh

Did you even look at my link? You can see the i3-4130 is 15% slower than the i5-3470 with a Titan X Maxwell on GTA V at 1600p Normal Settings + FXAA. Is it playable (60+ fps)? Of course is it. Is there a bottleneck? Of course.