1080 single 8-pin power vs 6+8/8+8

atomicus

So what's the impact here, really? In respect to OC'ing and actual performance... have there been any benchmarks on this, as there seems to be uncertainty among many people as to what the actual impact will be.

Furthermore, if you took a single 8-pin card and put a block on it for WC'ing, is this a limiting factor at all? Obviously it's the cheapest route, but is this to the noticeable detriment of performance vs doing the same thing on an 6+8/8+8 card?

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

I believe the impact is it provides better voltage for overclocking and cleaner power delivery, so it can help with the real high end overclocks but if you aren't pushing it to it's limits I don't believe you'll see much, if anything, in terms of performance.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

That's what I figured from what I've been reading. I expected SOME difference, but it doesn't seem like it's worth paying the extra for what you get in real world game performance.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

3 minutes ago, atomicus said:

That's what I figured from what I've been reading. I expected SOME difference, but it doesn't seem like it's worth paying the extra for what you get in real world game performance.

As the previous poster stated I don't think it's given people the huge OC they thought they'd get but it probably helps.So far with 1000 series it appears get whichever one you feel is better for you unless you want to wait and see what the Classifies can do.

CPU: i7 5820K Motherboard: AsRock x99x Fatality RAM: 32GB Corsair DDR4 3000mhz GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ti SC2 Case: Corsair 780T Storage: Samsung 950 Pro M.2, Samsung EVO 500gb and various WB Storage PSU: EVGA 1300 G2 Display: TBD

Yeah, and personally I would be putting a block on anyway which should do away with the throttling issue, and also provide a much more aesthetically pleasing result.

1 hour ago, The Afro Samurai said:

As the previous poster stated I don't think it's given people the huge OC they thought they'd get but it probably helps.So far with 1000 series it appears get whichever one you feel is better for you unless you want to wait and see what the Classifies can do.

I had a few people with FTW cards blow my 980Ti Classys O'C out of the water while my card was literally under water. The Silicon lottery for you.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

Isn't the 1080 still limited by the bios restrictions? To get real use out of the extra power delivery I believe you need a custom bios. This wasn't a factor in previous generations, which is why the 980TI can OC better than the 1080.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE