NF A15 super noisy

Alesek
Go to solution Solved by Alesek,

Noctua's customer support replied to me and apparently it is caused by the fans being in pull mode. Thanks everyone for your help ;)  

Hi, so I bought NH D15 cooler and it managed to get my temps down by about 10 degrees (yeey), however the two fans included are incredibly noisy. when I turn the fans to 60%, it starts having a light high pitched noise. But when I go to 100%, the high pitched noise gets really loud and annoying. Did I just get unlucky and got 2 defective fans or is this normal?

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

2 minutes ago, Alesek said:

Hi, so I bought NH D15 cooler and it managed to get my temps down by about 10 degrees (yeey), however the two fans included are incredibly noisy. when I turn the fans to 60%, it starts having a light high pitched noise. But when I go to 100%, the high pitched noise gets really loud and annoying. Did I just get unlucky and got 2 defective fans or is this normal?

The fan noise is not supposed to be high pitched, I would contact noctua to see if it is normal

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

Ya you likely got some bad fans because ramping mine up does make them loud, but no high pitch at max.

9 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Ya you likely got some bad fans because ramping mine up does make them loud, but no high pitch at max.

I just found a noise test on youtube and apparently it sounds the same. I get pretty much the same noise as in this video at 0:50+, it is just slightly higher pitched. Do you have anything like that?

here is the video:

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

Hm, interesting, I don't get that noise on mine at 60%. 

With that said, what are your temperatures for you to be running at 60% all the time? 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

1 minute ago, Heesleemer said:

Hm, interesting, I don't get that noise on mine at 60%. 

With that said, what are your temperatures for you to be running at 60% all the time? 

I am running at 40% because there is no audible difference between 40% and anything lower (my hdd is louder than that). At 60% I am starting to hear this noise. its not loud but the high pitch makes it annoying. At 100%, it is just bad.

I know that 99% of the time, I am not even gonna get above 50% but if it is defective, I want to RMA it

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

1 minute ago, Alesek said:

I am running at 40% because there is no audible difference between 40% and anything lower (my hdd is louder than that). At 60% I am starting to hear this noise. its not loud but the high pitch makes it annoying. At 100%, it is just bad.

I know that 99% of the time, I am not even gonna get above 50% but if it is defective, I want to RMA it

I tested with a spare NFA15 (which runs at a slightly higher RPM than the ones on the NHD15)
I do get a buzz at 100% but not as high pitched. Is everything mounted correctly? could maybe be vibrations. I'd send noctua a sound recording and ask, their CS is on point

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

10 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

I tested with a spare NFA15 (which runs at a slightly higher RPM than the ones on the NHD15)
I do get a buzz at 100% but not as high pitched. Is everything mounted correctly? could maybe be vibrations. I'd send noctua a sound recording and ask, their CS is on point

I will do that, thanks for the tip ;)

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

2 hours ago, Alesek said:

I just found a noise test on youtube and apparently it sounds the same. I get pretty much the same noise as in this video at 0:50+, it is just slightly higher pitched. Do you have anything like that?

Make sure the fans are properly clipped on. That being said, 60% isn't that low. If you want low noise, you should be running them below 550rpm. I personally run mine at ~90rm.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I would advise using auto PWM control. You should never hear your fans that way.

5 hours ago, Alesek said:

here is the video:

Hmm, guess i got lucky then because at max, my fans dont make that noise in the video. 

so I just tested it with sound meter on my phone (i know, not the most reliable thing) and when I set the fans to 100%, it only raised the noise by 2dB. That is pretty good, considering that the only audible thing in my PC is the HDD. The problem is the high pitch. And I know, it doesnt really matter, because I will never need to set the fans higher than 50% anyways, but I spent 90 euros on that thing so I want it to work like it's supposed to in all cases.

Anyways, I contacted noctua support so I'll see what they will tell me.

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

Noctua's customer support replied to me and apparently it is caused by the fans being in pull mode. Thanks everyone for your help ;)  

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

1 hour ago, Alesek said:

that's good to hear! any changes with the fix? 

Resist!

2 hours ago, Heesleemer said:

that's good to hear! any changes with the fix? 

well, if i pulled the fans out out the cooler, it didn't have the annoying pitch in it anymore so it is really because of the pull configuration. But I am gonna leave it like this, because I like when it is easier to clean and I won't put it in those rpm anyways

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i