For normal 1080p gaming. 1070 or 1080?

VincentVolaju

In a couple weeks I am planning on getting a new graphics card. Currently still using my MSI Twin Frozr GTX 760 and since I've had no problems with it I'll most likely get another MSI Twin Frozr card. I am just unsure of which would be better for me. I don't any kind of crazy setup like 4k monitor or multiple monitors. I do just normal 1080p gaming on a average asus monitor. I do however play a lot of heavy modded games like Skyrim / Fallout etc. where I've heard the gtx 1080 preforms much better in than the 1070. Also I am looking to max out (graphically) every game I play over the next couple years and play with a minimum of 60-70+ FPS. On games that I am currently playing, if I don't get 60+ FPS, then I have to tune down the graphics until I reach the wanted FPS. So I am looking for the card that will allow me to keep 60-70+ FPS, while also letting me play everything maxed out / higher quality texture mods etc.

Just looking to hear some opinions on which card you guys think would be better for me?

PS: As for the price comparison well I was planning on spending 400$ or so on a new card, which fits the 1070 price. However if the suggestions / difference between the cards are big enough then I wouldn't be against spend a couple hundred more to get the 1080, assuming it would be worth the extra $.

Keep your money and get a 1070.

A 1070 is a good 1440p card. So even if you upgrade your monitors a little it'll still be fine. The 1080 is looking to be a good 4k card.  

Just enjoy the roughly $400 dollar 1070 and have fun with it.

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Neither. 480 or 470 for 1080p 60 fps gaming.

Agree.  Get an RX 480 for $200 and enjoy very solid 1080p gaming.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

12 minutes ago, VincentVolaju said:

In a couple weeks I am planning on getting a new graphics card. Currently still using my MSI Twin Frozr GTX 760 and since I've had no problems with it I'll most likely get another MSI Twin Frozr card. I am just unsure of which would be better for me. I don't any kind of crazy setup like 4k monitor or multiple monitors. I do just normal 1080p gaming on a average asus monitor. I do however play a lot of heavy modded games like Skyrim / Fallout etc. where I've heard the gtx 1080 preforms much better in than the 1070. Also I am looking to max out (graphically) every game I play over the next couple years and play with a minimum of 60-70+ FPS. On games that I am currently playing, if I don't get 60+ FPS, then I have to tune down the graphics until I reach the wanted FPS. So I am looking for the card that will allow me to keep 60-70+ FPS, while also letting me play everything maxed out / higher quality texture mods etc.

Just looking to hear some opinions on which card you guys think would be better for me?

PS: As for the price comparison well I was planning on spending 400$ or so on a new card, which fits the 1070 price. However if the suggestions / difference between the cards are big enough then I wouldn't be against spend a couple hundred more to get the 1080, assuming it would be worth the extra $.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

You're in the same spot as I am, upgrading from a 760 to ... something.

I'm going for the 1070 since I plan to upgrade to a 1440p monitor at some point. If you can afford the 1070 I don't see any reason not to go for it vs whatever AMD comes out with; the 1080 is certainly going to be wasted at these resolutions.

7 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Neither. 480 or 470 for 1080p 60 fps gaming.

I heavily disagree with this idea. When I bought my 780, everyone was recommeneding the GTX 770 for 1080 gaming, nearly 3 years later my 780 (Before it died) still hold up well in games whereas the 770 would force me to drop settings from Ultra to medium / high to maintain high framerates.

Getting a card that can do 60fps in current games with most of the settings maxed out is not a good idea unless you are keeping to a budget
I keep on saying that with the new consoles more GPU power is going to be needed to keep playing at high graphics settings and if the GTX 980 can't push 60FPS in every game out now, it is only going to get worse in the coming year.

If OP is has a budget, ofc the 480 is a great idea, but if there is more money that can be spent and want something to easily last you a couple of years, the 1070 is the best bet atm

17 minutes ago, VincentVolaju said:

Wait for the RX 480 if you like to max everything out and play heavy modded games you can get RX 480's in CF for $400 and performance as the GTX 1080 but i have my doubt's about that since many games are HEAVY nvidia bounders so the GTX 1080 is going to demolish them in Nvidia bound games but remember CF has allot of disses

-Higher Wattage

-More Heat

-Bottlenecks

-Stutters

-Games that have HORRIBLE CF support

-Compatibility just check if your mobo supports CF

-Space in your case

but one gain - performance (only saying performance by rumors)

but yea the GTX 1080 is maxing out games at 1440p 60fps and the GTX 1070 will max out 1080p 60fps so the GTX 1070 is your best solution,but please dont buy a GTX 980 Ti on the cheap since eventually nvidia is going to nerf there older cards in order to make people buy newer ones...

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

1080p.... plain and simple 1070... or find a used 980 Ti. I just saw one go for $330 on ebay.

So it went cheaper than the 1070 will be... DOH!

3 minutes ago, roughavoc said:

I heavily disagree with this idea. When I bought my 780, everyone was recommeneding the GTX 770 for 1080 gaming, nearly 3 years later my 780 (Before it died) still hold up well in games whereas the 770 would force me to drop settings from Ultra to medium / high to maintain high framerates.

Getting a card that can do 60fps in current games with most of the settings maxed out is not a good idea unless you are keeping to a budget
I keep on saying that with the new consoles more GPU power is going to be needed to keep playing at high graphics settings and if the GTX 980 can't push 60FPS in every game out now, it is only going to get worse in the coming year.

If OP is has a budget, ofc the 480 is a great idea, but if there is more money that can be spent and want something to easily last you a couple of years, the 1070 is the best bet atm

I still remember when everyone said the 970 was a 1440p card. Well Witcher 3 came out a few months later and even with tons of patches it's still a game that runs 45-50 fps for me if I play on 1440p medium with my 970. That kind of low framerate is completely unacceptable to me, and while I'd take 1440p medium at 60 fps over 1080p ultra at 60 fps any day, I would never want to turn graphics settings to low just to get 60 fps. Most games you don't see a whole lot of difference between medium and ultra other than framerate, but drop below medium and image quality often tanks.

I actually don't anticipate the new consoles pushing graphics requirements all that much higher though. They're targeting 4k, not 60 fps and more complex geometry, lighting, shadows, and so on.

The RX 480 is still kind of an unknown. There is definitely starting to be reason to get excited when Sapphire Italy is posting tweets about it offering R9 Nano performance at stock clocks (1266 MHz) and it being capable of running at 1500 MHz. If that ends up holding up once we see reviews in 9 days the RX 480 could very well be the only card worth buying. At this point I'd just wait for the reviews on June 29th.

Yea the 970 can do 1080p in Witcher 3 but there are useless Ultra settings that tax the GPU like the grass distance or something that people tend not to turn down but then take off hairworks that doesn't really tax the GPU anymore with the lower tessellation.

So I actually have hairworks on, textures ultra and still get 70+ frames. The GTX 770 used to struggle at the same settings. Look at Bioshock Infinite though... The 970 does 1440p fine in that game and it looks awesome. That game brought early cards to it's knees.

The plain facts are the more power you pay for now the long the card will last. The 480 will do well for a year or so and then it will probably start slowing a bit on intensive titles. The 1070 will last two or three years and the 1080 four or so. Now, since 1440p and 4k are what the 1070 and 1080 are aimed at you will likely get even more time from them than youd expect at 1080p. I wouldn't be too suprised to see a GTX 1080 able to hold its own at 1080p 5 years from now.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

I love how people believe the pre-release RX 480 benchmarks.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

2 hours ago, Moress said:

The plain facts are the more power you pay for now the long the card will last. The 480 will do well for a year or so and then it will probably start slowing a bit on intensive titles. The 1070 will last two or three years and the 1080 four or so. Now, since 1440p and 4k are what the 1070 and 1080 are aimed at you will likely get even more time from them than youd expect at 1080p. I wouldn't be too suprised to see a GTX 1080 able to hold its own at 1080p 5 years from now.

AMD does support older cards for longer times though, with nvidia the 900 series is probabbly going to have driver support stopped when the lower end pascal cards come out. The 700 series has driver support ended a while back. AMD has support back to the 7000 series though.

But Vega isn't going to be out for a while so a 1070 would be a good option if you have screen tearing then enable DSR and play at 1440p.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1070, I have had one for 10 days and it running everything 1080p maxed out at way more frames than 60 fps. so that's my vote.

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

13 hours ago, roughavoc said:

Assuming the 480 can only just do 1080p 60fps, rather than look at its actual performance which seems to be somewhere between 390 and Fury.

my advice is not to spend twice as much on a gpu as you need to, but plan on upgrading when that 480 stops being enough for your needs instead.

@Starrzy I love that you are doubting its capacity for 1080p 60fps. The fanboy is clearly strong with you.

1070. 1080 is for like 2 or even 4k

(Or wait for 480)

Nothing.

13 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I still remember when everyone said the 970 was a 1440p card. Well Witcher 3 came out a few months later and even with tons of patches it's still a game that runs 45-50 fps for me if I play on 1440p medium with my 970. That kind of low framerate is completely unacceptable to me, and while I'd take 1440p medium at 60 fps over 1080p ultra at 60 fps any day, I would never want to turn graphics settings to low just to get 60 fps. Most games you don't see a whole lot of difference between medium and ultra other than framerate, but drop below medium and image quality often tanks.

I actually don't anticipate the new consoles pushing graphics requirements all that much higher though. They're targeting 4k, not 60 fps and more complex geometry, lighting, shadows, and so on.

The RX 480 is still kind of an unknown. There is definitely starting to be reason to get excited when Sapphire Italy is posting tweets about it offering R9 Nano performance at stock clocks (1266 MHz) and it being capable of running at 1500 MHz. If that ends up holding up once we see reviews in 9 days the RX 480 could very well be the only card worth buying. At this point I'd just wait for the reviews on June 29th.

Can you link the tweet? 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

If you wont use VR then get the RX 470 or GTX 1060 (will be released around fall)

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/06/2016 at 8:48 AM, The Realist said:

but yea the GTX 1080 is maxing out games at 1440p 60fps and the GTX 1070 will max out 1080p 60fps so the GTX 1070 is your best solution,but please dont buy a GTX 980 Ti on the cheap since eventually nvidia is going to nerf there older cards in order to make people buy newer ones...

Na, not seeing it...

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/