you'll get:

more cores

more cache

more PCI-E

more memory bandwidth

more USB

more SATA

more girth and length

Long story short.... I have been running z170 (skylake) for less than a year and im wondering if its worth switching to x99 ? What kind of benefits would i get from changing.

1 hour ago, KamilKrait15 said:

Long story short.... I have been running z170 (skylake) for less than a year and im wondering if its worth switching to x99 ? What kind of benefits would i get from changing.

More PCIe lanes and more cost

If you already have Z170, meh, if you were to buy a Z170, then the X99 is better

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Unless you need triple SLI or two video cards plus a couple other PCIe devices then there really isn't a reason or benefit.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

lol, should've probably went X99 in the first place

you'll get:

more cores

more cache

more PCI-E

more memory bandwidth

more USB

more SATA

more girth and length

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

8 minutes ago, KamilKrait15 said:

nope.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

x99 is useless unless youre doing video editing or 3d rendering on a daily basis

and you will also get worse performance in games because skylake has better core performance than haswell (which is what x99 is)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

z170-chipset-block-diagram-rwd.png

=====================================================================================================

x99-chipset-block-diagram.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

9 minutes ago, KamilKrait15 said:

You would lose EVERYTHING other than cores.  That's it.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

x99 is useless unless youre doing video editing or 3d rendering on a daily basis

and you will also get worse performance in games because skylake has better core performance than haswell (which is what x99 is)

we have Broadwell (:

3 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

You would lose EVERYTHING other than cores.  That's it.

you lie

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

we have Broadwell (:

you lie

true

still worse than skylake

and a waste of money to buy a new motherboard and CPU when a 6700k is far more than enough

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

we have Broadwell (:

you lie

You'll lose native USB 3.1 and type C support...  You'll loose FPS in most games (BF4 excluded)...  DMI 3.0 isn't available... The only benefit X99 brings is more cores.  Z170 is better in every other way.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

true

still worse than skylake

and a waste of money to buy a new motherboard and CPU when a 6700k is far more than enough

and agreed

1 minute ago, JefferyD90 said:

You'll lose native USB 3.1 and type C support...  You'll loose FPS in most games (BF4 excluded)...  DMI 3.0 isn't available... The only benefit X99 brings is more cores.  Z170 is better in every other way.

DMI 3.0 is useful when PCI-E NVMe storage goes through the chipset, on X99 it plugs directly into CPU (:

name me 5 devices that you will use for that Type C connector

plus I believe USB 3.1 is not part of the chipset: http://ark.intel.com/products/90591/Intel-GL82Z170-PCH, so again - why lie when you don't know truth?

can you count those FPS's for me please?

This brings me to my next question. Im planning to buy 3 1080s. Would i then need to go x99?

DMI 3.0 is useful when PCI-E NVMe storage goes through the chipset, on X99 it plugs directly into CPU (:

name me 5 devices that you will use for that Type C connector

plus I believe USB 3.1 is not part of the chipset: http://ark.intel.com/products/90591/Intel-GL82Z170-PCH, so again - why lie when you don't know truth?

can you count those FPS's for me please?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9485/intel-skylake-z170-motherboards-asrock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-evga-supermicro

It actually does officially support USB 3.1.  Its called the Alpine Ridge companion.

Additionally, it is fairly obvious that you would lose FPS in most games because your clock speed is slower AND it is on a less efficient architecture. The only games that will perform better would be highly threaded games, like BF4.  And really they're not very efficient at doing it either.  Even anandtech says that they didn't test x99 because of this.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/16

But I will offer you one fair point, both x99 and z170 REGARDLESS, will max out any one single GPU.  (unless you put a i3 or something in it)

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, KamilKrait15 said:

This brings me to my next question. Im planning to buy 3 1080s. Would i then need to go x99?

yes

but why.... are you up to date with nVidias policy on 3-Way GPU setups?

24 minutes ago, DXMember said:

more girth and length

LIES!!!!!! The motherboard can still be the same size (for example my ASUS x99-s is only ATX and not EATX :D...not including the CPU).

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

yes

but why.... are you up to date with nVidias policy on 3-Way GPU setups?

I did not know. I guess 2 will have to do. 

3 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9485/intel-skylake-z170-motherboards-asrock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-evga-supermicro

It actually does officially support USB 3.1.  Its called the Alpine Ridge companion.

Additionally, it is fairly obvious that you would lose FPS in most games because your clock speed is slower AND it is on a less efficient architecture. The only games that will perform better would be highly threaded games, like BF4.  And really they're not very efficient at doing it either.  Even anandtech says that they didn't test x99 because of this.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/16

But I will offer you one fair point, both x99 and z170 REGARDLESS, will max out any one single GPU.  (unless you put a i3 or something in it)

a quote from your source:

There will be several companion controllers to look out for on the Z170 motherboards.

so obviously it's an additional controller that is not a part of the chipset... X99 has same companions... (who the hell came up with that name for hardware... the closest association I have are companions from the Firefly universe)

overclocking is a thing, also you still haven't counted those FPSs for me, nor have you named me the devices you intend to use with the USB 3.1 connection

and you didn't mention the DMI 3.0

damage control much?

we've already established that there is no gaming performance upgrade going from Z170 to X99 or the other way around, this is about the platform, this is about the principle, admit defeat

8 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

LIES!!!!!! The motherboard can still be the same size (for example my ASUS x99-s is only ATX and not EATX :D...not including the CPU).

I'm not talking about the motherboard ;)

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

I'm not talking about the motherboard ;)

Well mine didn't get any bigger once I got my x99 setup :/

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

44 minutes ago, DXMember said:

a quote from your source:

so obviously it's an additional controller that is not a part of the chipset... X99 has same companions... (who the hell came up with that name for hardware... the closest association I have are companions from the Firefly universe)

overclocking is a thing, also you still haven't counted those FPSs for me, nor have you named me the devices you intend to use with the USB 3.1 connection

and you didn't mention the DMI 3.0

damage control much?

we've already established that there is no gaming performance upgrade going from Z170 to X99 or the other way around, this is about the platform, this is about the principle, admit defeat

Okay, devices would include any new phone along with a external HDD.  Not to include USB type C is going to become as commonly used as type A over the coming years.  Quite literally everything will have type C support.

If you overclock your x99 processor to 4.0Ghz (which is a damn good overclock) then a Z170 based processor can overclock to a SOLID 4.5Ghz.  So overclocking isn't a good point for your example.

And the PRINCIPLE is going to be it cost less to STAY on the Z170 platform (as a matter of fact, it cost NOTHING at all) but it will be a $500 barrier to entry to even get INTO the X99 platform.  And can you honestly look me in the face and say "its worth a minimum of $500 to go back a processor architecture and not get any reasionable benefits out of it"?

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

X99 is also Broadwell.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

17 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

X99 is also Broadwell.

thank you we've already established that

23 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

Okay, devices would include any new phone along with a external HDD.  Not to include USB type C is going to become as commonly used as type A over the coming years.  Quite literally everything will have type C support.

I'm pretty sure someone somewhere said the same about FireWire....

so you can't name any devices?

24 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

If you overclock your x99 processor to 4.0Ghz (which is a damn good overclock) then a Z170 based processor can overclock to a SOLID 4.5Ghz.  So overclocking isn't a good point for your example.

I'm pretty sure 4GHz isn't that great of an overclock, the 4.5GHz number floats around as the average, but it's not the point

can you count the FPS's for me?

here's an educational video on counting

(no offence, it's a prank)

26 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

And the PRINCIPLE is going to be it cost less to STAY on the Z170 platform (as a matter of fact, it cost NOTHING at all) but it will be a $500 barrier to entry to even get INTO the X99 platform.  And can you honestly look me in the face and say "its worth a minimum of $500 to go back a processor architecture and not get any reasionable benefits out of it"?

if you re-read the post history, I'm pretty sure we've already established from the beginning that it is stupid to replace a Z170 build with an X99 and even the other way around - to replace X99 with a Z170 would be equally as stupid, I specifically pointed that out again trying to clarify in the very post you replied just now

*reasonable