Are you tired of the miserable 30fps on Consoles? Cos the next PS4K and Xbox Scorpio will still be 30fps....

AlTech
2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Isn't the Xbone Scorpio suppose to launch in late 2017? It's like a year and a half left for that. By putting in some cut down Polaris or Vega chip, keeping the detail settings to medium and targeting 30 FPS  don't see 4K being that hard to achieve.

Can't say I agree with Microsoft on this. Making a more powerful console is great, because the current one is awful. I think the extra performance should go towards higher FPS and increasing details. I think that would benefit the average customer far more than just increasing the resolution, which will be downscaled to 1080p for most people anyway. It just ends up being really inefficient AA at that point.

This is Microsoft and Sony making the same decision.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The only optimization I can think of is the developer giving Sony or Microsoft a good time with their .........um........ hands xD and then them giving away more super speed eSRAM.

Well also low-level software optimisation. Consoles inherently have lower overhead.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

1 minute ago, ApolloFury said:

Well also low-level software optimisation. Consoles inherently have lower overhead.

But that's eliminated cos the Xbox One runs games in a Virtual Machine :D and the OS as a real host OS.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is Microsoft and Sony making the same decision.

I have not heard Sony make an official statement about it. Seems like they are more focused on VR than 4K.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The TDP is still too high for MS.......

What do you think is too high of a TDP? The original Xbox 360 had a maximum power consumption of something like 200 watts (usually around 170 watts when gaming).

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I have not heard Sony make an official statement about it. Seems like they are more focused on VR than 4K.

What do you think is too high of a TDP? The original Xbox 360 had a maximum power consumption of something like 200 watts (usually around 170 watts when gaming).

The Xbox One has a TDP far lower.......

To run 4K at 60fps they would need 2x RX480 or GTX 1080... THat alone would cost $400-600 and total console cost would most likely be $699-799 10% of console players would probabvly upgrade rest would not bother.  So the console can ONLY do 4K ?! It cant even change to 1080p[ if they want ????

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

14 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The Xbox One has a TDP far lower.......

And my Raspberry Pi has a TDP of like 2 watts. That does not prevent Microsoft from releasing a console with a higher TDP than that though, right?

There is nothing stopping them from making the Scorpio have a higher TDP than the current Xbone.

12 minutes ago, Thony said:

To run 4K at 60fps they would need 22x RX480 or GTX 1080... THat alone would cost $400-600 and total console cost would most likely be $699-799 10% of console players would probabvly upgrade rest would not bother.  So the console can ONLY do 4K ?! It cant even change to 1080p[ if they want ????

It's most likely they will only do 4K @ 30fps.

And no RX 480 is not that bad. 2 RX 480s = GTX 1080.

Yeah, they're not going to run 4k at 30fps. It's just not going to happen, stop thinking it's going to happen.

Unless Sony and M$ are going to pay 3/4ths of the cost of each unit, they aren't going to get 4k at 30fps.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Consoles shouldnt even exist... :D

But what about all the noobs who are too stupid or too ignorant to use PCs........

How can I get tired of something I never use and never will use?

Seriously last console I used more than a couple of times was the PS2 and last one I used to game heavily was the SNES.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

I said next gen. The scorpio and PS4K are the 4K consoles.

The 4K consoles are not next gen. They're mid-gen updates.

33 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's most likely they will only do 4K @ 30fps.

And no RX 480 is not that bad. 2 RX 480s = GTX 1080.

was meant to be 2x just a typo ;)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

11 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The 4K consoles are not next gen. They're mid-gen updates.

Don't call them 4k consoles.

It's not going to happen. They will release, and they will be able to claim "technically it does run at 4k" but in reality it won't. It will more than likely be 4k downsampled (or whatever the term is) to 1080p.

Not to mention that most people don't have 4k tv's?

7 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Don't call them 4k consoles.

It's not going to happen. They will release, and they will be able to claim "technically it does run at 4k" but in reality it won't. It will more than likely be 4k downsampled (or whatever the term is) to 1080p.

Not to mention that most people don't have 4k tv's?

4K 30 fps is not that demanding to run if you drop some settings to medium or high. Get off your high horse. Polaris or Vega GPU is more that capable of it.

And you don't need to have a 4K capable TV to see the graphical improvement over 1080p.

1 minute ago, Matu20 said:

4K 30 fps is not that demanding to run if you drop some settings to medium or high. Get off your high horse. Polaris or Vega GPU is more that capable of it.

And will these new consoles have those GPU's? I doubt it. I doubt that Sony and M$ will be taking that much of a hit on the price-per-unit.

I just would not hold my breath considering that the current xbone and ps4 can barely play 1080p at 60fps.

And the point still stands that this mid-gen thing is pointless considering most people still don't have 4k TV's

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

And will these new consoles have those GPU's? I doubt it. I doubt that Sony and M$ will be taking that much of a hit on the price-per-unit.

I just would not hold my breath considering that the current xbone and ps4 can barely play 1080p at 60fps.

And the point still stands that this mid-gen thing is pointless considering most people still don't have 4k TV's

You do realize that the new consoles will not target the usual $300 market? It will definitely be higher. And as I edited into my last statement,  you don't need to have a 4K capable TV to see the graphical improvement over 1080p.

2 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

You do realize that the new consoles will not target the usual $300 market? It will definitely be higher. And as I edited into my last statement,  you don't need to have a 4K capable TV to see the graphical improvement over 1080p.

Yeah, I've run 4k on my 1080p screens (DSR), I can't tell the difference between it and regular 1080p ultra, other than the plummet I get in framerate with my 970.

And correct me if I am wrong, but the Xbone launched at $499, not $300

Most 4K TVs (that people actually buy) are still 30hz, no? And even if they are marketed as higher, they're really just strobing?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Digital Foundry seems to think Scorpio will use some form of Vega chip. I don't see why it wouldn't be able to run 4k natively at 30 fps in many games. My GTX 970 can do native 4k medium from 28-35 fps on Witcher 3, and Vega should run circles around that card.

Microsoft does not dictate what framerate or resolution a game runs at.

It's a game developers choice. He decides where to draw the line between performance and graphical fidelity (including resolution).

Think of it like adjusting the graphical settings in a PC game. You choose where to draw the line. The only difference is that in consoles it's the dev who makes the choice and not the user.

I truly hope the updated consoles will target 1080p60 or 1440p60, but most likely they will still stick with highest possible resolution and 30 fps. Because all the console kiddies actually believe you can't see over 30fps, sadly.

9 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Yeah, I've run 4k on my 1080p screens (DSR), I can't tell the difference between it and regular 1080p ultra, other than the plummet I get in framerate with my 970.

I can tell very minimal differences sometimes in old games. For instance, in Black Ops 1 I noticed running 4k DSR really got rid of the marching pixels effect on the edge of the scope on my rifle. Of course in newer games that's better handled by TAA and TXAA.

10 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

And correct me if I am wrong, but the Xbone launched at $499, not $300

So have I and I agree with you (difference is minimal), but marketing makes all the difference to people who have not tried it and native 4K sounds more appealing that 1080p or anything else these days. But the reason I brought up the $300 price tag is because the Scorpio and Neo will stick with the current Jaguar CPU presumably and only upgrade the cooling and GPU. The final price tag of $499 or $599 is very plausible in my opinion.