Bluetooth 5.0 is here*

Trixanity

Today the Bluetooth 5.0 specification was released. As the asterisk in the title hints, that means that devices with support for the standard will show up in either late 2016 or sometime in 2017.

In short: it will quadruple the range and double the speed.

It's especially geared towards IoT as it will also have increased broadcast messaging capacity allowing it to transmit richer data

"Increasing operation range will enable connections to IoT devices that extend far beyond the walls of a typical home, while increasing speed supports faster data transfers and software updates for devices," Mark Powell, executive director of the Bluetooth SIG, said in statement. "And now with the ability to broadcast a much richer set of information, Bluetooth 5 will make beacons, location awareness, and other connectionless services an even more relevant part of an effortless and seamless IoT experience."

It seems like the improved range and speed can help with reducing dropped connections in general and reduce stutter in audio playback for those who use bluetooth for audio.

Currently it seems like the most common bluetooth devices, our phones, are class 2 devices (the norm for battery powered devices) meaning that it has a range of 10 m (roughly 33 in freedom units) although there is not necessarily a fixed value so it can be more than that depending on the power of the transmitter. Industrial class 1 transmitters can do 100 m (328 freedom units). Those are official numbers and seems to be more like guidelines.

Range basically correlates with the amount of power you run through it (other factors as well), so a device can exceed that. If 10 m is the standard, then we could assume that 40 m (131 freedom units) will become the new standard for devices, particularly if they are to communicate with IoT devices and those could be a fair distance away, especially in large homes. Although since manufacturers can boost the power beyond the official specs as long as they are within safety/emission/etc rules, we might see even bigger range on smartphones than 40 m. The range is also dependent on both devices, just to clarify, so the effective range increases if one device has a massive range (maybe we'll see some sort of IoT base stations with long range that relay signals to IoT devices to boost range throughout an entire house?). Not to mention the standard rules of signal propagation such as walls and other objects being a bitch.

Source: 

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/16/bluetooth-5/

http://www.cnet.com/news/new-version-of-bluetooth-to-be-faster-have-greater-range/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

Looks like we can finally send files to someone in the other classroom! Oh gosh my dreams just came true!

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

That's great,  wireless technology advancements are something we should invest more time into maybe one day we'll be a able to have a household with fully wireless technology. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

This would great in school :3

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

*Clicky baity title...

I'd like to see available BT 5.0 products... thanks... ;):P

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

7 hours ago, GidonsClaw said:

*Clicky baity title...

I'd like to see available BT 5.0 products... thanks... ;):P

You're gonna have to wait* for that

*At least six months.

Takes time to implement in actual products from the release of the specification.

Just wondering how many people still use bluetooth...

Because most people I know use wifi file transfer apps like ShareIt or Xender 

51 minutes ago, joshkia said:

No one really uses Bluetooth for (large) file transfers. The bandwidth isn't there. It's good for transferring relatively small amounts of data (and the power usage is smaller I believe, especially with BLE)

The pairing functionality is good. Allows you to easily pair it with a bunch of devices such as audio (headphones/speakers/headset), smart devices (wearables, home appliances), IoT. It basically enables communication between devices easily. If we ignore Wifi Direct, Wifi would require a base station of some kind to connect devices whereas Bluetooth connects directly and can do it automatically if already paired.

I guess Wifi (including Wifi Direct) wins on speed whereas Bluetooth wins on power consumption. Wifi is a bit more secure (assuming proper security is in place; 256-bit encryption vs 128-bit in favor of Wifi - unless my sources are incorrect), Wifi might win on range in most cases but as stated in the OP you can boost range of Bluetooth by boosting the power and it's up to the manufacturer to set that parameter just like with a Wifi device.

I'm uncertain of how Wifi and Bluetooth compares in feature sets, convenience, usability etc.

I'm guessing it's all down to application but for now it seems that Bluetooth very much has its place but the organizations behind Wifi and Bluetooth are obviously competitors as they've started to overlap feature sets (especially when Wifi added the Wifi Direct standard) and seem to want to become "the one standard". Although I feel like it's more the Wifi encroaching on the Bluetooth. Bluetooth has a high speed mode which basically piggybacks on a Wifi radio on the same device to transfer data faster but it's still not faster than Wifi (don't know why but Bluetooth High Speed has a maximum speed of 24 mbps).

2 hours ago, joshkia said:

I use Bluetooth literally every day in my car to play music over my car stereo, and to make hands free calls. Can't say I have much need for it otherwise. Bluetooth controllers can be quite handy though, such as the new upcoming XBO S Bluetooth enabled controller.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I use bluetooth for my headset, tethering my other devices(security folks at work ban personal WiFi hotspots, and it's lower power so I leave it on all the time), and I think IOS uses it to identify AirDrop devices which then switch to direct wifi connection for the actual file data(photos and videos). BT5 could be quite nice for tethering.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

At long last, we can leave our Bluetooth speakers playing music and go across our domiciles to poop with no interruption in music!

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

13 hours ago, Trixanity said:

You're gonna have to wait* for that

*At least six months.

Takes time to implement in actual products from the release of the specification.

But is it going to matter a lot? I hardly ever use Bluetooth.

And all my devices support BT4.0 .

I'm not buying a new devices just to have BT5.0

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

BUT Who cares about Bluetooth?

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

What century are you from?
Bluetooth is the prefered method for wireless connectivity for devices.

29 minutes ago, tsk said:

Bluetooth is the prefered method for wireless connectivity for devices.

The last time I used Bluetooth was with 4.0 + LE between an iPad with Retina display (4th Gen) and a 15" Retina MacBook Pro.

And that was over a year ago when I tried to use a cool gimmick which worked less than 50% of the time.

Other than that, I have no use for Bluetooth other than if a Bluetooth Xbox One controller came out (Yes I am aware of the new controller).

I literally never use Bluetooth because I don't need to.

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I literally never use Bluetooth because I don't need to.

People that use it. As @dalekphalm said, some people use it everyday for streaming music in the car, myself and him included. Then many people prefer Bluetooth over a cable when connecting devices to a PC. This should even lessen the gap between data transfer speeds. Sure you can send files via WhatsApp, Viber and such, but what happens when you cap your data? It becomes so slow and frustrating that sometimes files (and even normal messages!) can't be send. You can't cap Bluetooth. Given you are close to that person of course. These are the first ones that come to my mind.

You literally don't use Bluetooth because you don't need to so nobody should care about it and it should die? That's not how it works.

As were talking about it for the past few days, I don't use NFC so who cares about it? I don't use Apps on any TVs that I have even though they all are smart TVs so who cares about it? I bet more people use Bluetooth on a daily basis then there are people that use Windows phones so who cares about WP right? 

Carriers can lose their service due to some malfunction, your Wi-Fi may die because of a billion reasons but Bluetooth will still work. Not the best example, but you should get the point.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Snip

You're walking into the age old trap of "If I don't use it, then no one uses i".

I mean if market researchers only had to ask one person, then everything would be very easy. 

I don't personally use Bluetooth all that much. Yet. There are plenty situations where I could see myself using Bluetooth currently and in the future but right now I just don't have that many Bluetooth devices, particularly devices that I use on a daily basis. 

34 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

People that use it. As @dalekphalm said, some people use it everyday for streaming music in the car, myself and him included. Then many people prefer Bluetooth over a cable when connecting devices to a PC. This should even lessen the gap between data transfer speeds. Sure you can send files via WhatsApp, Viber and such, but what happens when you cap your data? It becomes so slow and frustrating that sometimes files (and even normal messages!) can't be send. You can't cap Bluetooth. Given you are close to that person of course. These are the first ones that come to my mind.

You literally don't use Bluetooth because you don't need to so nobody should care about it and it should die? That's not how it works.

As were talking about it for the past few days, I don't use NFC so who cares about it? I don't use Apps on any TVs that I have even though they all are smart TVs so who cares about it? I bet more people use Bluetooth on a daily basis then there are people that use Windows phones so who cares about WP right? 

Carriers can lose their service due to some malfunction, your Wi-Fi may die because of a billion reasons but Bluetooth will still work. Not the best example, but you should get the point.

But let's be honest and not kid ourselves here.

If they stopped improving Bluetooth nobody would care (I say nobody and I mean literally nobody except that one Bluetooth fanboy)

33 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

You're walking into the age old trap of "If I don't use it, then no one uses i".

I mean if market researchers only had to ask one person, then everything would be very easy. 

I don't personally use Bluetooth all that much. Yet. There are plenty situations where I could see myself using Bluetooth currently and in the future but right now I just don't have that many Bluetooth devices, particularly devices that I use on a daily basis. 

I barely ever see Bluetooth used anymore by anyone. It's useful for a tiny percentage of things and not much else.

The only people I see using it is for the minority of people. The one or two people with Bluetooth headphones and/or the one or two people with Bluetooth speakers.

Literally, that's it. Nobody else where I live generally uses Bluetooth.

7 hours ago, tsk said:

Bluetooth is the preferred method for wireless connectivity for devices.

the 21st thank you very much.

And Wi-Fi or cellular is preferred any day of the week compared to Bluetooth where I am from.

If I want to share a photo from a phone to PC, I just use WiFi or LTE and upload a photo to onedrive. Done, it syncs and I have no issues.

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If they stopped improving Bluetooth nobody would care (I say nobody and I mean literally nobody except that one Bluetooth fanboy)

I absolutely agree, not many people would care, but if they removed it that would be a completely different story, and we were talking about using it in general, not improving.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I barely ever see Bluetooth used anymore by anyone. It's useful for a tiny percentage of things and not much else.

The only people I see using it is for the minority of people. The one or two people with Bluetooth headphones and/or the one or two people with Bluetooth speakers.

That's a very ignorant and narrow-minded way of seeing things but of course you're entitled to it. 

11 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I don't use Bluetooth either. I have not used it once on any of my smartphones. However, I think we should still care about it. It is already used by a fair bit of things, such as:

• Speakers
  • Mice
  • Keyboards
  • Gaming controllers.
  • Remotes for things like TVs and STBs.
  • Headsets and headphones.
  • Connecting phones to cars.
  • Printers
  • Smartwatches

But here is the thing (I am sure @Colonel_Gerdauf will love this), with new hardware we get brand new software that can take advantage of it. Longer range and higher data speeds might enable developers to do brand new things with Bluetooth that was not previously possible.

With home automation and IoT getting more and more popular, decent data speeds with long range and low power consumption might make Bluetooth usage skyrocket.

But on the other hand, for home automation and IoT I think I would rather it used WiFi. That way it would be possible for all network enabled devices to have access to it rather than just Bluetooth devices. But who knows what the future has in store for us.

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't use Bluetooth either. I have not used it once on any of my smartphones. However, I think we should still care about it. It is already used by a fair bit of things, such as:

• Speakers
  • Mice
  • Keyboards
  • Gaming controllers.
  • Remotes for things like TVs and STBs.
  • Headsets and headphones.
  • Connecting phones to cars.
  • Printers
  • Smartwatches

But here is the thing (I am sure @Colonel_Gerdauf will love this), with new hardware we get brand new software that can take advantage of it. Longer range and higher data speeds might enable developers to do brand new things with Bluetooth that was not previously possible.

With home automation and IoT getting more and more popular, decent data speeds with long range and low power consumption might make Bluetooth usage skyrocket.

But on the other hand, for home automation and IoT I think I would rather it used WiFi. That way it would be possible for all network enabled devices to have access to it rather than just Bluetooth devices. But who knows what the future has in store for us.

I could imagine having an IoT base station that uses both Bluetooth and Wifi for communicating with client devices but uses Bluetooth LE exclusively for communicating with your IoT devices. Maybe this IoT base station will be built into/double as a router. I could imagine router makers such as Asus and TP-Link going into the IoT business by allowing their devices to be the center of all IoT devices - a hub if you will. Kinda like the Philips Hue stuff where you have a hub that controls all your lighting.

Or maybe I'm just completely off here and we'll use our phones to individually connect with each IoT device or another completely different scheme.

24 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I could imagine having an IoT base station that uses both Bluetooth and Wifi for communicating with client devices but uses Bluetooth LE exclusively for communicating with your IoT devices. Maybe this IoT base station will be built into/double as a router. I could imagine router makers such as Asus and TP-Link going into the IoT business by allowing their devices to be the center of all IoT devices - a hub if you will. Kinda like the Philips Hue stuff where you have a hub that controls all your lighting.

Or maybe I'm just completely off here and we'll use our phones to individually connect with each IoT device or another completely different scheme.

Maybe, but it seems impractical to need a hub that uses Bluetooth and WiFi when we could just have everything use WiFi and connect to all the exiting routers. Are Bluetooth modules and antennas smaller? If they aren't then I think I'd rather just have WiFi. Bluetooth for the initial setup (connecting to the WiFi) and then switch over to WiFi for management would probably be the best of both worlds, but might be too expensive/big.