Bluetooth 5.0 is here*

Trixanity
3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don't use Bluetooth either. I have not used it once on any of my smartphones. However, I think we should still care about it. It is already used by a fair bit of things, such as:

• Speakers
  • Mice
  • Keyboards
  • Gaming controllers.
  • Remotes for things like TVs and STBs.
  • Headsets and headphones.
  • Connecting phones to cars.
  • Printers
  • Smartwatches

But here is the thing (I am sure @Colonel_Gerdauf will love this), with new hardware we get brand new software that can take advantage of it. Longer range and higher data speeds might enable developers to do brand new things with Bluetooth that was not previously possible.

With home automation and IoT getting more and more popular, decent data speeds with long range and low power consumption might make Bluetooth usage skyrocket.

But on the other hand, for home automation and IoT I think I would rather it used WiFi. That way it would be possible for all network enabled devices to have access to it rather than just Bluetooth devices. But who knows what the future has in store for us.

Actually, Remote Controls mostly use IR

Printers in my experience use Wi-Fi.

I'd much rather use Wi-Fi for IoT things

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Maybe, but it seems impractical to need a hub that uses Bluetooth and WiFi when we could just have everything use WiFi and connect to all the exiting routers. Are Bluetooth modules and antennas smaller? If they aren't then I think I'd rather just have WiFi. Bluetooth for the initial setup (connecting to the WiFi) and then switch over to WiFi for management would probably be the best of both worlds, but might be too expensive/big.

wouldnt NFC be better for pairong than bluetooth? tap it on the router and bim! setup completed 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Any improvement in Bluetooth Audio connections is worth a new standard all by itself.

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually, Remote Controls mostly use IR

Most do, but not all. For example the Apple TV, as well as some STBs for IP-TV has switched over to Bluetooth. The benefit is that you do not need line-of-sight.

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Printers in my experience use Wi-Fi.

Well it's not like the Bluetooth enabled printers rely on that primarily. It's just so that you can print from for example your phone. If they got Bluetooth then they must likely got WiFi too.

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

wouldnt NFC be better for pairong than bluetooth? tap it on the router and bim! setup completed 

NFC would work great for some things, like a lightbulb or whatever, but it would be bad for things you can't move around easily, like a ventilation system or fridge. Imaging trying to tap your garage door to your router.

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Maybe, but it seems impractical to need a hub that uses Bluetooth and WiFi when we could just have everything use WiFi and connect to all the exiting routers. Are Bluetooth modules and antennas smaller? If they aren't then I think I'd rather just have WiFi. Bluetooth for the initial setup (connecting to the WiFi) and then switch over to WiFi for management would probably be the best of both worlds, but might be too expensive/big.

I'm thinking that Bluetooth is smaller but I have no fact or evidence to back it up and Bluetooth LE is supposed to be consuming very little power compared to regular Bluetooth and WiFi. 

I'm wondering if IoT have special hardware/software requirements such as specific protocols or other things that are not supported on current hardware. Would be an excellent way for the big companies to get you to upgrade (or piss everyone off and make them forego the whole thing) 

42 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Most do, but not all. For example the Apple TV, as well as some STBs for IP-TV has switched over to Bluetooth. The benefit is that you do not need line-of-sight.

Well it's not like the Bluetooth enabled printers rely on that primarily. It's just so that you can print from for example your phone. If they got Bluetooth then they must likely got WiFi too.

NFC would work great for some things, like a lightbulb or whatever, but it would be bad for things you can't move around easily, like a ventilation system or fridge. Imaging trying to tap your garage door to your router.

but you could always tap it to the router before permanently  nailing it to the wall also for thing like the air conditioner, you could make it so you have to tap his remote to the router to have the air conditioner gets his settings 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>