GTX 1080 on 34in 1440p display: Digital Storm Aura

The hottest new graphics card on the market is the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080. It blows every other graphics card out of the water without carrying a ridiculous price or power requirements. So what did performance PC manufacturer Digital Storm decide to do? They attached one to the back of a 34-inch curved display, because who needs a desktop case to worry about, right?

The all-in-one gaming PC is called the Aura, and it promises to offer a gaming rig in a display that will last you years if you’ve got a little over $3,000 in your budget. In fact, the Aura comes in four configurations (Good, Better, Best, Ultimate) starting at $1,999 for the Good, which gets you a Core i5-6500, GeForce GTX 960 4GB, and 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM seated behind a 34-inch curved display with a 3440 x 1440 WQHD 60Hz display).

-- http://www.geek.com/chips/digital-storm-mounts-a-geforce-gtx-1080-on-the-back-of-a-34-inch-curved-display-1656686/

It is nice that Digital Storm is making a revolution in making custom built PCs. No cabinet seems like the way to go! There is also a camera that

can be hidden easily very well. Overall I like the fact the number of cables is slashed a lot!

overview-2.jpg

overview-1.jpg

Source:

http://www.digitalstorm.com/aura.asp

5 minutes ago, Iron Butterfly said:

why would you only buy a 1440p display with a 1080? why not get a 4k or even an 8k display.

Well,

Widescreen is widescreen, 4k is not. I prefer my widescreen setup any day. Awesome for immersed gaming. For productivity multiple windows even in Windows 10 is great. In linux if you are using something like i3wm it is a game changer.  For video editing that is awesome.

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

why would you only buy a 1440p display with a 1080? why not get a 4k or even an 8k display.

Because he wants good framerates?

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

1 minute ago, Iron Butterfly said:

Assuming it looks fine now.

Yes, thank you :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, Xaring said:

Because he wants good framerates?

a 1080 can get good frame rates on a 4k monitor. its the best graphics card on the market currently 

2 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

a 1080 can get good frame rates on a 4k monitor. its the best graphics card on the market currently 

After getting a chance to experience both, 1440p ultra wide is a better game experience than 4K 16:9, assuming the game supports the ultra wide resolution. Plus an ultra wide gives them more surface area to cram components into, making it a little less bulky.

2 minutes ago, TacticlTwinkie said:

After getting a chance to experience both, 1440p ultra wide is a better game experience than 4K 16:9, assuming the game supports the ultra wide resolution. Plus an ultra wide gives them more surface area to cram components into, making it a little less bulky.

i have never seen a 1440p or 4k moniter so i have no idea what they look like. my monitors are 720p and 1080p. yay :( 

27 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Not sure if srs? 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Really stoked this isn't just a concept anymore!

I forget what showcase had this but Linus does have a video on it. 

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

20 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

i have never seen a 1440p or 4k moniter so i have no idea what they look like. my monitors are 720p and 1080p. yay :( 

A buddy of mine just bought an Acer Predator, and take my word for it: Its glorious. 

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

That monitor will die from heat or get nasty distortions real fast.

You don't think they've thought of that in all the time this has been in development?

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

You don't think they've thought of that in all the time this has been in development?

not at all. especially if they plan to use a Founders Edition card in there and not a custom cooled solution. I mean, come on, how DUMB are they?!

Heat rises.

Normal 1080 FE struggles to get the heat out.

Point the exhaust DOWN?!

+5000 dumb

I wonder what kind of PSU they used in this thing. Clearly looks like a Flex-ATX, all black PSU, but the cables look completely custom from any OEM PSU company. The fact that they allow you to configure a GTX 1080 (180w GPU) with the 6800k (140w CPU) tells me they have to have a 400w PSU at minimum. The fact that they also allow you to purchase overclocks on these systems, tells me that a 400w PSU will not be enough under intense loads.

If that is the case, I wonder if FSP actually sold them 500w platinum Flex ATX PSU's.

Also, I would most definitely not run Prime95 on this thing, or fold GROMACS. RIP CPU/PSU, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I wonder what kind of PSU they used in this thing. Clearly looks like a Flex-ATX, all black PSU, but the cables look completely custom from any OEM PSU company. The fact that they allow you to configure a GTX 1080 (180w GPU) with the 6800k (140w CPU) tells me they have to have a 400w PSU at minimum. The fact that they also allow you to purchase overclocks on these systems, tells me that a 400w PSU will not be enough under intense loads.

If that is the case, I wonder if FSP actually sold them 500w platinum Flex ATX PSU's.

Also, I would most definitely not run Prime95 on this thing, or fold GROMACS. RIP CPU/PSU, lol. 

i wonder what kind of internal framing they used. that hinge system screams "gonna bend over time/get loose". If its a full alu/steel plate between the panel and the PC, then the panel will struggle to cool itself.

If it isnt a rigid panel with decent thickness, the hinge mount will start to give and bulk after a year or two. Especially if the metal is kept around 65-70c, as that helps soften it a tiny tiny bit.

Not to mention that the balance looks wrong. And then there is the dumb fucks who decided that backwards facing speakers are a great thing.

Dumb shits should GTFO. There is easier ways to make decent speaker setups without compromising.

1 hour ago, Legolessed said:

You still can't run 1440p ultra in everything without min 60 fps in all games... Why would you go 4k?

I actually think this should come with a curved, acrylic back cover, I'd be an eye turner from all angles.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Legolessed said:

It really can't yet. It can get good on not-so-intensive games but something like maxed out Witcher 3 at 4k? It would cripple it down to rather unpleasant 30ish FPS

Witcher_02.png

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

I have three words for you: Scalable Link Interface

Inside the back of a 34 inch monitor? I mean if it's doable I'd like to see that for fucking sure, but it might be a bit much. Maybe one of the other models that included water cooling a single 120 rad could handle the 1080s and if you get custom, chip only modules like the ones intended for laptops sure. 

But really, what is the big deal about 1440p ultrawide? It seems like a sufficiently good experience for virtually all gamers without the growing pains of SLI support. Just because vendors keep pushing 4k doesn't means the hardware is actually ready for high end 4k gaming without heavy compromises like SLI and the litany of problems that come with it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

I have three words for you: Scalable Link Interface

A. SLI support is shit these days.

B. You were already bitching about this thing running hot with a single card and you want two?

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Inside the back of a 34 inch monitor? I mean if it's doable I'd like to see that for fucking sure, but it might be a bit much. Maybe one of the other models that included water cooling a single 120 rad could handle the 1080s and if you get custom, chip only modules like the ones intended for laptops sure. 

But really, what is the big deal about 1440p ultrawide? It seems like a sufficiently good experience for virtually all gamers without the growing pains of SLI support. Just because vendors keep pushing 4k doesn't means the hardware is actually ready for high end 4k gaming without heavy compromises like SLI and the litany of problems that come with it.

"growing pains"?
May i remind you that SLI was invented by 3DFX back in 2000 ish?! and that Nvidia has had the time, money and ability to properly help game developers implement said technology for more then 15 years?

I think we can say it is out of the "growing" phase. More like that the current SLI system is showing some "back pains" from having slept too many years on the damn couch with one too many beers on the table.

SLI can be done, if you can strap 2x 160w GTX 980s inside a laptop, you can slap 2x 180w 1080s into a monitor. You will need a properly thought out heatpipe and radiator solution, and or build a AIO system with 2x rads sticking a bit out on the back. But it IS doable.

1440 Ultrawide is fine. Has to be HDR, G-Sync and 100Hz though. If not, totally useless. as there will be better solutions on the market soon(tm)

3 minutes ago, Derangel said:

A. SLI support is shit these days.

B. You were already bitching about this thing running hot with a single card and you want two?

He's being that guy that always wants more. Surprised hes not crying for 8k and a 6950x

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.