My cooling...

g12601

First, I may have put this in the wrong section.

Anyway, today was the first 100oF day in my area, and with that came obvious concerns. I built the computer in October, not really thinking ahead for the summer unfortunately.  Not sure but these temps. seem a bit worrying to me.

(Pic. below) 

thermals.PNG

So I need to figure out how to get more air to go through the case (Rosewill FBM-02).

Thanks for any help.

take off the side panel and ghetto mount an AC unit

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

1 minute ago, shadowbyte said:

take off the side panel and ghetto mount an AC unit

Funny you say that, I kind of did, I used a desktop fan to cool it down a bit. 

As has been mentioned in many tech videos and how to's, and having done this myself, living in Arizona (was 118 degrees in phoenix), one thing you can do is open up the side panel, and aim a floor fan at it. Or, just add more case fans, if you have the room. my new case has 6 total fans, plus watercooling, so i don't have much of a problem anymore, just hotter room temps. 

What CPU cooler do you have? I cant see any reason for a 2 core pulling a MAX of 30W-40W to peak at 103 C. do you have ANY case fans? are they BOTH pushing air into the case? do you have thermal paste between your CPU and heatsink?

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

What CPU cooler do you have? I cant see any reason for a 2 core pulling a MAX of 30W-40W to peak at 103 C. do you have ANY case fans? are they BOTH pushing air into the case? do you have thermal paste between your CPU and heatsink?

1) Stock :(

2) 2 case fans (120mm pulling air in and 80mm exhaust)

3) Stock paste from cooler.

4 minutes ago, g12601 said:

1) Stock :(

2) 2 case fans (120mm pulling air in and 80mm exhaust)

3) Stock paste from cooler.

That's not much you can work with... I would say look for a new computer case.... that's very... minimalistic. No room for improvement. But, if you don't want to do that, i would look for a High Static Pressure fan, or a hybrid HSP/High air flow fan. I reccomend a HSP fan, since you only have the 2 fans, and so little space inside the case, would lead to a very high Positive pressure inside the case, which could help PASSIVELY cool the computer. also, clean out the intake on the front. make sure there is no dust on the fan or inside the front panel. 

2 minutes ago, KyleCosgray said:

That's not much you can work with... I would say look for a new computer case.... that's very... minimalistic. No room for improvement. But, if you don't want to do that, i would look for a High Static Pressure fan, or a hybrid HSP/High air flow fan. I reccomend a HSP fan, since you only have the 2 fans, and so little space inside the case, would lead to a very high Positive pressure inside the case, which could help PASSIVELY cool the computer. also, clean out the intake on the front. make sure there is no dust on the fan or inside the front panel. 

I will look into these things, thank you.

2 minutes ago, g12601 said:

I will look into these things, thank you.

yeah not a problem. I joined the forum officially just to help you out haha. being in a hot climate myself, I want everyone to practice "cool computer" practices

1. Is your computer dusty? take some compressed air and get that dust out (especially the dust in your CPU cooler, your intake fans, and your exhaust fans)

2. Are your fans spinning fast enough? crank up the RPM on those puppies a bit and see if that helps.

3. make both of your fans exhaust fans. Negative air pressure will make your PC gather dust much quicker, but will lower temperatures inside the case by a fair amount.

4. Remove your CPU heatsink, apply new thermal paste (make sure to get good coverage) and reinstall the heatsink (be certain it makes proper contact with the CPU)

5. Buy a new CPU heatsink. I know this isn't a great option since it costs money, but there are PLENTY of cheap CPU coolers out there. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a favorite in PC's around the world for its low price and high cooling performance. (be sure to check if its compatible with your case)

5 minutes ago, KyleCosgray said:

A new case is probably a good idea, but deliberately increasing positive pressure is a TERRIBLE idea if your cpu is already reaching 100 C. Positive temperature can dramatically increase heat in a case (ESPECIALLY in a smaller case). If your goal is to cool things down (which it really should be) you want NEGATIVE pressure.

8 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

A new case is probably a good idea, but deliberately increasing positive pressure is a TERRIBLE idea if your cpu is already reaching 100 C. Positive temperature can dramatically increase heat in a case (ESPECIALLY in a smaller case). If your goal is to cool things down (which it really should be) you want NEGATIVE pressure.

there is a hole in the side panel of the case. increasing the pressure inside of his case, will cause more air to flow through that hole. he posted a link to the Newegg page of his case. essentially, he'll use that as a second exhaust, due to more pressure. A positive pressure/negative pressure issue isn't as clean and cut as many people claim it to be. it is Case specific. if you have a case with a LOT of side panel holes, back panel holes (PCI-E slots that have cut-outs) a positive pressure, or having more CFM on the intakes, will cause more air to flow through those holes. if you have a case that is very closed off, with no extra ventilation other than the spots for holes, then a positive pressure is a bad thing. in a case with a lot of ventilation, either positive or negative is good, but in this case i would recommend a positive, pushing airflow away from his graphics card instead of pulling it in as would be the case with a negative pressure ESPECIALLY since he has no extra spots for fans. In a closed case, with no vents, the ideal pressure is neutral. 

8 minutes ago, KyleCosgray said:

there is a hole in the side panel of the case. increasing the pressure inside of his case, will cause more air to flow through that hole. he posted a link to the Newegg page of his case. essentially, he'll use that as a second exhaust, due to more pressure. A positive pressure/negative pressure issue isn't as clean and cut as many people claim it to be. it is Case specific. if you have a case with a LOT of side panel holes, back panel holes (PCI-E slots that have cut-outs) a positive pressure, or having more CFM on the intakes, will cause more air to flow through those holes. if you have a case that is very closed off, with no extra ventilation other than the spots for holes, then a positive pressure is a bad thing. in a case with a lot of ventilation, either positive or negative is good, but in this case i would recommend a positive, pushing airflow away from his graphics card instead of pulling it in as would be the case with a negative pressure ESPECIALLY since he has no extra spots for fans. In a closed case, with no vents, the ideal pressure is neutral. 

You recommend pushing air AWAY from his graphics card? the component that is running at a whole 56 degrees at PEAK? its own fans aren't even running yet its so cool rofl. the GPU isn't what we're aiming for here. even if it was, negative pressure is better for temperatures, in (so far as i'm aware) every situation.

I know what you're saying, but negative pressure would do the exact same process, but in reverse. Instead of having additional hot air swirling around in his case, and trying to force its way out that one hole in the side, we do the opposite. we get the fans pumping all that hot air OUT asap, and then all the cool (well, cool-ish) air flows in through that huge hole in the side, directly to his GPU, and up to his CPU, where it is immediately exhausted by the rear fan, which causes more fresh air to rush in from the side of the case to do it all over again.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that positive pressure reduces temperature, but it really doesn't.

I should also note that when I said positive pressure reduces dust, that ONLY applies if you're creating positive pressure through intakes with dust filters on them. if you have unfiltered intakes that will create just as much dust anywyay

6 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

You recommend pushing air AWAY from his graphics card? the component that is running at a whole 56 degrees at PEAK? its own fans aren't even running yet its so cool rofl. the GPU isn't what we're aiming for here. even if it was, negative pressure is better for temperatures, in (so far as i'm aware) every situation.

I know what you're saying, but negative pressure would do the exact same process, but in reverse. Instead of having additional hot air swirling around in his case, and trying to force its way out that one hole in the side, we do the opposite. we get the fans pumping all that hot air OUT asap, and then all the cool (well, cool-ish) air flows in through that huge hole in the side, directly to his GPU, and up to his CPU, where it is immediately exhausted by the rear fan, which causes more fresh air to rush in from the side of the case to do it all over again.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that positive pressure reduces temperature, but it really doesn't.

it wouldn't push any air away from his graphics card, but push hot air away, and cold air into it via the front fan which i'm proposing to be a HSP fan. running that fan in reverse would cause the negative pressure, but there isn't enough ventilation via the rear fan. this would cause air flow via negative pressure through the side panel to favor the path of least resistance, the front fan. thus, not as much air flow to the CPU cooler. that case only supports a 80MM fan on the rear. pulling in more air from the front will put cool air onto the graphics card, pushing hot air away from it via the side vent, as well as providing air flow across the CPU and out through the rear fan. or we can just tell him to take the side panel off and aim a fan at it, which he has already done. i'd say, even though its the most pricey, just get a new case. one with more fan options. Or I could run some fluid and temperature analysis through Solidworks, if you'd like. If you've got 3-6 hours to wait. 

Why do you keep talking about the GPU. did you even read his post? the GPU is NOT THE PROBLEM. his CPU is dangerously overheating.

okay... let me put this a different way... positive pressure is harder for your fans to push through than neutral pressure, or negative pressure. ALL fluids want to naturally flow from areas of higher pressure into areas of lower pressure. they want to spread themselves out as evenly as possible. So right now you're thinking "great, this is exactly what I was saying" just hear me out. if you're pumping air INTO a case to cause positive pressure in order to force it out other holes to the neutral pressure air to the outside of the case. This isn't a terrible idea. However, as much as it wants to leave those holes, it ALSO wants to travel back through the fan, or around the edges of the fan, or out other cracks in the case before it has had a chance to get to anything that needs cooling. the air also naturally wants to take the path of least resistance (in this case the huge side panel) and the areas that have less open areas or very thin cracks to go through tend to get DRAMATICALLY less airflow (or it stops all together). This slow and stopped air collects heat, and keeps collecting heat. This basically means that your fan is working against itself and other factors in order to get air to where it needs to be. In some cases, like when you said a case with lots of holes or perforation or air vents, this effect IS minimized, but its STILL there.

If you're creating negative pressure, the effect is reversed. you're pumping neutral air out into neutral air (which it has no problem doing) which causes negative pressure in the case, which means the neutral air outside comes in from ALL angles, everywhere it can (some places more than others) which means there are no dead spots or really slow spots in air flow. it ALL is drawn into the case, and then its all pulled out of the case by the fans. Its also why REALLY budget cases with only 1 fan ALWAYS have a single exhaust fan at the top/rear. it catches the hot air at the top of the case (since hot air always rises) and pulls it out, causing negative pressure in the case, which results in the best possible cooling you can have with 1 fan.

There is never a situation where positive pressure is more effective at cooling than negative pressure. its literally physically impossible.

Max GPU temp 70c is fine and quite normal. CPU could be suffering from AMDs notoriously inaccurate sensors.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, Zyndo said:

9 hours ago, KyleCosgray said:

Guys, it's a matter of a couple degrees C in either direction. Case pressure is more about dust control than anything else. FWIW, my case runs positive at low to moderate temps, negative when things get above 65C on the CPU.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

10 hours ago, Zyndo said:

1. Is your computer dusty? take some compressed air and get that dust out (especially the dust in your CPU cooler, your intake fans, and your exhaust fans)

2. Are your fans spinning fast enough? crank up the RPM on those puppies a bit and see if that helps.

3. make both of your fans exhaust fans. Negative air pressure will make your PC gather dust much quicker, but will lower temperatures inside the case by a fair amount.

4. Remove your CPU heatsink, apply new thermal paste (make sure to get good coverage) and reinstall the heatsink (be certain it makes proper contact with the CPU)

5. Buy a new CPU heatsink. I know this isn't a great option since it costs money, but there are PLENTY of cheap CPU coolers out there. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a favorite in PC's around the world for its low price and high cooling performance. (be sure to check if its compatible with your case)

1) It's clean, I cleaned it a month ago.

2) Not sure, one is connected to molex and the other to the motherboard.

3) I will look into that for my situation.

4) Better thermal paste would work? People say the stock paste is good enough but if it will help I'll get some.

4) I might do that in the near future.

Sorry I did not reply right away, I was sleeping.

5 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Guys, it's a matter of a couple degrees C in either direction. Case pressure is more about dust control than anything else. FWIW, my case runs positive at low to moderate temps, negative when things get above 65C on the CPU.

I agree, especially in a case with such a massive cut out on the side, it wont make THAT much difference, but its important for him/her to learn that negative pressure is ALWAYS better for cooling so that he/she doesn't keep going around telling people whose CPU's are hitting over 100 C to deliberately create positive pressure and cook things a little more.

And positive pressure ONLY works as a dust control agent if your intake fans have filters on them. if your computer case doesn't have filters, it doesn't matter what kind of pressure you use, you're going to collect dust anyway. However, MOST people should still be using neutral-positive pressure in their case. You use it your case, I use it in my case but just because most people use it, and most people SHOULD use it, that doesn't make it "better". And case pressure isn't just about dust control. Its about temperature control VS dust control. Most people in most PC's can spare the extra few degrees that a small amount of positive pressure creates. but when you have a CPU that's running at 100 C, you've GOTTA make every degree count to bring that down. Making your CPU run at over 100 (even over 90 is undesirable) for prolonged periods of time is going to kill that processor.

As for better thermal paste, yes it CAN make a few degrees different. for most people stock is usually good enough. But most people don't have a CPU running at over 100 C. Linus did a YouTube video about thermal paste back when he was NCIX techtips. he found a 14 degree variance between the best paste he used vs the worst. I don't think you would see numbers that high in a situation like this, but it SHOULD help.

Here is that video https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=best+thermal+paste

Do you have a fan on the front and back of the case? It looks like if you are using the fans that came with the case you can swap out the rear fan for a slightly larger one. It looks like an 80mm or 90mm fan that comes with it, might want to invest in a slightly larger one. Also see if you can grab a couple of fans to ziptie to that side pannel, might make it dusty but couldn't hurt.

I only quickly skimmed this thread but I think I saw you say that you are using the stock cooler, might want to invest in one from the list below. I would recommend all of them with the exception of the Cooler Master DK9-7G52A-0L-GP as it is basically the stock heat sink.

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#m=337,50,11,436,225,99,94&W=0&sort=a6&page=1&X=1502,18463

As was also mentioned, AMDs temp sensors are not the most reliable so it is entirely possible that they are giving you a false reading as well.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit