Why doesn't water vapour in the air damage electronics components?

I was thinking, since all air has a percentage of humidity, why doesn't that damage electronics? Can't particles of water vapour collide with sensitive components and do damage? And since only pure liquid water will evaporate, when it condenses, say on a motherboard, it would be pure water so it doesn't conduct electricity...no..?

Can someone explain :)

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

i think it doesn't because the amount is so small that electricity can't  (or almost can't) move true it

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

I'm no scientist, but I think it has to do with the density of the water. Water vapour is a gas and thus has a much lower density than its liquid or solid form. This would mean that electrons cannot be transferred as easily.

Project Pluto
i3 4170 MSI H97 PC Mate MSI R9 380 2GD5T @ 1095MHz Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 2x4gb @ 1600MhzWD 1TB Blue • be quiet! Pure Rock • NZXT S340 Black XFX TS 550w • BenQ GW2265HM

3 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

I was thinking, since all air has a percentage of humidity, why doesn't that damage electronics? Can't particles of water vapour collide with sensitive components and do damage? And since only pure liquid water will evaporate, when it condenses, say on a motherboard, it would be pure water so it doesn't conduct electricity...no..?

Yeah there's no minerals in water vapor to conduct the electricity. The moisture it's self can cause oxidation which can ruin electronics but it's unlikely enough will collect to do much damage.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

16 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

Btw water is not conductive (PURE water that is)

It's just that its such a good solvent for charged carriers that it practically makes nearly all water conductive

Since water vapor cannot act as a solvent (not in liquid form)

It is not conductive!

And no water doesnt just suddenly condense at like 20 to 30c 

The only way it damages is that it acts as a catalyst to acceleration oxidation of metallic parts (aka rusting)

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

18 minutes ago, MrChavelo said:

I'm no scientist, but I think it has to do with the density of the water. Water vapour is a gas and thus has a much lower density than its liquid or solid form. This would mean that electrons cannot be transferred as easily.

I agree

20 minutes ago, xnoobftw said:

Btw water is not conductive (PURE water that is)

It's just that its such a good solvent for charged carriers that it practically makes nearly all water conductive

Since water vapor cannot act as a solvent (not in liquid form)

It is not conductive!

And no water doesnt just suddenly condense at like 20 to 30c 

The only way it damages is that it acts as a catalyst to acceleration oxidation of metallic parts (aka rusting)

Silly question but why if you were to put e.g. a phone inside a fridge, why would the phone get wet?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

29 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

Because water by itself is not electrically conductive, it is the minerals that are carried in liquid water that make it conductive. When water suspended in the air in its gaseous state it cannot hold onto dissolved minerals, therefore making water vapor non-conductive. That's why, if you take any kind of water that hasn't been distilled or filtered through reverse osmosis, and boil it away you will be left with (mostly) dried mineral deposits in the pot after all the water has boiled away into water vapor. 

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

35 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

I was thinking, since all air has a percentage of humidity, why doesn't that damage electronics?

because it would suck if it would, we wouldn't be able to do anything :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

... since all air has a percentage of humidity, why doesn't that damage electronics? Can't particles of water vapour collide with sensitive components and do damage? And since only pure liquid water will evaporate, when it condenses, say on a motherboard, it would be pure water so it doesn't conduct electricity...no..?

Can someone explain :)

Depends on what you mean by 'electronics' -- that sort of covers everything, sensitive and insensitive.  

'Sensitive components' ... mostly ... are sealed with impermeable temperature-resistant plastic.  Water vapor outside the plastic has no effect.  

Transformers may be unsealed and if water condenses on the windings that is a problem.  The same goes for poorly-plated metal components or board traces.

If the temperature goes below the dew point and the motherboard (actually, any circuit board) is cool enough, yes, pure water will condense.  But the water won't remain 'pure' for long if the board's surface is contaminated, and it will be, after a short time in service,  It's usually open to the air, and so, to dust, fumes, etc. pulled in by cooling fans.  So now you have a conductive surface between the traces, damp dirt ... the effect depends on the amount of conductivity and how sensitive the circuitry is, to electrical leakage paths ... 

water vapor is non conductive

water vapor will not condense unless certain conditions are met and electronics don't meet the conditions

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

39 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

Pure water, contrarily to popular belief, is NOT conductive. What makes water generally conductive is that in liquid form it picks up plenty of particles that allow electricity to flow through it. The condensation of a few particles is not enough to cause short circuits. Now, if it gets to the point where you can see droplets, you may have a problem - but if you turn the hardware off fast enough and let it dry in theory you should be fine.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If water vapor was even a halfway decent conductor lightning as we know it would not exist because the necessary charge could never accumulate.

It is only when the charge accumulates sufficiently to overcome the rather large spark gap - turning the vapor into plasma (which is a very good conductor) that electricity flows and the charge dissipates.

Also, water itself is not much of an oxidizer, but as noted it is a great solvent, so in liquid form it rapidly accumulates ions with good oxidative ability.

It can do, if the components become cool enough for the vapor to condense on the surface... Unlikely to happen though.

1 hour ago, AstroBenny said:

Common misunderstanding about water- water is NOT conductive and therefore it does no harm to electronics. It IS however polar, which means it very rapidly collects ions which would then make he water conductive and short. Water vapor will not collect as much ions and will not conduct water between different parts of a board. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

2 hours ago, AstroBenny said:

Silly question but why if you were to put e.g. a phone inside a fridge, why would the phone get wet?

The phone wouldnt get wet

Contrary the phone should dry up faster (assuming phone is the only thing in fridge) due to desiccation in fridge

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

18 minutes ago, xnoobftw said:

The phone wouldnt get wet

Contrary the phone should dry up faster (assuming phone is the only thing in fridge) due to desiccation in fridge

The problem would be when you take it out of the fridge seeing as it is likely below ambient thus could cause condensation.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

If you're curious about condensation and why things "get wet in a fridge", you can read the link in my signature :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Corrosion.

3 hours ago, bgibbz said:

Common misunderstanding about water- water is NOT conductive and therefore it does no harm to electronics. It IS however polar, which means it very rapidly collects ions which would then make he water conductive and short. Water vapor will not collect as much ions and will not conduct water between different parts of a board. 

That's pure water.  Water is rarely pure.

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you're curious about condensation and why things "get wet in a fridge", you can read the link in my signature :)

Oh god this is bringing me back to the days i used humidity diagram to study drying of objects in unit operations xD

14 hours ago, AstroBenny said:

it does over time if the concentration is high enough.

water is dangerous when it condenses or is otherwise placed onto electronics.  it is dangerous because the water can bridge circuits, sending electricity to places it wasn't designed for.  minute bits of water vapour can't bridge anything.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

12 hours ago, Prysin said:

it does over time if the concentration is high enough.

This, not sure what the whole "humidity will not break anything" thing in this thread is...

You guys should look up "ambient humidity and data center" ... bottom line is, ambient humidity CAN damage electronic if it's high enough.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

In order for water from the air to condense, the object in question must be at or below the dew point of the air. The dew point is always going to be at or below ambient temperature. Electronics never reach that point unless it's being cooled by something that's actively removing heat from the system (like a peltier or phase change cooler) or if you moved it from a cold environment to a hot and humid one.

Otherwise, there's so little water in the air compared to the other parts that it doesn't make the air conductive, even in high humidity environments. The worst that humidity does is promotes corrosion, especially in coastal areas.

Although strangely, high humidity has a huge plus: it prevents static electricity from building up.