My opinion on RX 480

Simon771

So we have all seen that RX 480 was announced today, and I would just like to share what I think about it.

They did show us, that 2 of those cards will perform like GTX 1080 in ashes of singularity.

But keep in mind that this game/becnhmark is optimised for AMD cards. What clock speeds were they using on GTX 1080? Did they chery picked those 2 cards and OC it to the limit, just to beat GTX 1080 in this one game?

Next thing: During conference, it was mentioned that it will rpove premium HD gaming. Not Full HD, but just HD.

Do you realy think that they managed to make card that is powerfull as GTX 980 and uses less power for just 199$ ?

I honestly thing that in performance this card will be between R9 380 and R9 390 performance.

And one question ... any idea when NDA is lifted, and when can we expect some real benchmarks?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

AoTS is not really biased, it's just that AMD GCN GPUs properly support Async Compute, compared to their Nvidia counterparts and it's currently the only game to take advantage of it.

There's no point in being picky about the "HD" thing, obviously it's aiming at 1080 and 1440p gaming, not lower.

It's quite possible for the RX 480 to perform close to a GTX980, since we are looking at bigger performance leap because of FinFET, but we'll see when real reviews come out.

The NDA is lifted on June 29th.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

They did run DOOM @1440p, and had a constant 60+fps, which is similar to the GTX 980, which is what the card is aimed to compete with.

Also, speculating how good it'll do, is fucking pointless. Wait for independent reviewers to post their findings, after they get their hands on the card. I'm interested in seeing how it fairs in Fallout 4 + Witcher 3.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

10 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Next thing: During conference, it was mentioned that it will rpove premium HD gaming. Not Full HD, but just HD.

Sounds like they were using very casual language. I don't think they actually meant 720p. Do you? :P

5 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

They did run DOOM @1440p, and had a constant 60+fps, which is similar to the GTX 980, which is what the card is aimed to compete with.

Also, speculating how good it'll do, is fucking pointless. Wait for independent reviewers to post their findings, after they get their hands on the card. I'm interested in seeing how it fairs in Fallout 4 + Witcher 3.

Ah, 2 games that are nvidia gimpworks. Great games to test AMD on! Its probably the 2 games Linus will use amirite? I like Linus but he always has two sides to whether they like AMD or favor nvidia.

Games like AC: Unity, GTA V, Shadow of Mordor, Doom, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider ect are games to test GPUs on. Not games that are purposely "gimping" other cards.

AoST isn't AMD favored also, they just properly support ASync via hardware instead of what another guy said, by slapping a band aid on a 1080 with drivers and hoping it is enough.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

5 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Ah, 2 games that are nvidia gimpworks. Great games to test AMD on! Its probably the 2 games Linus will use amirite? I like Linus but he always has two sides to whether they like AMD or favor nvidia.

Games like AC: Unity, GTA V, Shadow of Mordor, Doom, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider ect are games to test GPUs on. Not games that are purposely "gimping" other cards.

AoST isn't AMD favored also, they just properly support ASync via hardware instead of what another guy said, by slapping a band aid on a 1080 with drivers and hoping it is enough.

Calm your tits mate. I didn't suggest those 2 titles because of how Nvidia's Gimpworks will fuck over the results. But simply because they're 2 games i've yet to finish, because i refuse to play on low settings with my shitty R9 270x, and i wanna see how the RX 480 fairs with them.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

5 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

Calm your tits mate. I didn't suggest those 2 titles because of how Nvidia's Gimpworks will fuck over the results. But simply because they're 2 games i've yet to finish, because i refuse to play on low settings with my shitty R9 270x, and i wanna see how the RX 480 fairs with them.

You really shouldn't be playing on low settings with a 270x... My friend has a prebuilt with a 4790k and GTX 745, ( yes GTX 745 ) and plays Fallout 4 at like med-high 30+ FPS. Witcher, just don't crank every setting to max... use med-high and you should stay above 30. Along as you can stay above 30, it is fine.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Seriously?

Yes

The card will definitely be in 390X/980 territory, it's supposed to bring VR to the masses for pete's sake.

June 29th.

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

You really shouldn't be playing on low settings with a 270x... My friend has a prebuilt with a 4790k and GTX 745, ( yes GTX 745 ) and plays Fallout 4 at like med-high 30+ FPS. Witcher, just don't crank every setting to max... use med-high and you should stay above 30. Along as you can stay above 30, it is fine.

I'm the kinda person that mods the fuck out of Fallout, with 4k textures etc. I don't play vanilla.

The NDA is lifted at launch on June 29th, which is one red flag to me (like they're pulling a Ubisoft). I expect the card to be a disappointment, because if it was really living up to the R9 Fury performance from that rumored bench Raja should have been doing cartwheels on stage and showing bench after bench detailing what ridiculous performance you'd get for a measly $199. Since he didn't the only logical conclusion is the card isn't going to come close to living up to that rumored bench.

I can understand your concerns, when they said "Polaris Updates", I knew they were not gonna talk much about it.

I can ask a lot of questions about Polaris like you, but I'm pretty sure all of it will be answered in a hard launch event in June 29.

But onto your questions:

18 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

But keep in mind that this game/becnhmark is optimised for AMD cards.

No it's not optimized for AMD. It's actually the first completely grounds up DX12 title on the market, which makes proper use of the DX12 back-end and features. AMD is simply better at it, and used the most appropriate (and least broken) of the games for the comparison.

24 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

What clock speeds were they using on GTX 1080? Did they chery picked those 2 cards and OC it to the limit, just to beat GTX 1080 in this one game?

Not sure where you are getting this doubt from, but their tests are posted on the AOTS website:

GTX 1080: http://www.ashesofthesingularity.com/metaverse#/personas/b0db0294-8cab-4399-8815-f956a670b68f/match-details/a957db0f-59b3-4394-84cc-2ba0170ab699

RX 480 CF: http://www.ashesofthesingularity.com/metaverse#/personas/b0db0294-8cab-4399-8815-f956a670b68f/match-details/ac88258f-4541-408e-8234-f9e96febe303

Here are some benchmarks to crosscheck: http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/gtx_1080_ashes_of_the_singularity_benchmarks/1

37 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Really? What's your point here?

38 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Do you realy think that they managed to make card that is powerfull as GTX 980 and uses less power for just 199$ ?

Why not? This is GCN 4.0 with 14nm FinFet we are talking about. It's a pretty big jump.

40 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

And one question ... any idea when NDA is lifted, and when can we expect some real benchmarks?

June 29th.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

I am actually impressed price/performance wise that is...

Upgrading from a GTX760 to a RX480 will be huge anyway

Let's agree to disagree

5 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

I am actually impressed price/performance wise that is...

Upgrading from a GTX760 to a RX480 will be huge anyway

Id wait to see what the 1060 and 1050 do. My guess it will perform the same if not better for the same price. saying youll upgrade before both companies show their cards off is a big mistake

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

3 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Id wait to see what the 1060 and 1050 do. My guess it will perform the same if not better for the same price. saying youll upgrade before both companies show their cards off is a big mistake

The problem is that both companies are starting in different places. Nvidia is going for the high-end, AMD for the mid-range. It might be awhile before there's a lot of overlap. We might be comparing the RX 480 to GTX 900's for awhile.

8 minutes ago, typographie said:

The problem is that both companies are starting in different places. Nvidia is going for the high-end, AMD for the mid-range. It might be awhile before there's a lot of overlap. We might be comparing the RX 480 to GTX 900's for awhile.

Should be able to wait though

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Well Nvidia has one very huge problem that AMD has under control and that is DX12, Nvidia cards suck ass at it compared to AMD cards.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

The RX 480 is a piece of junk.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

The RX 480 is a piece of junk.

Why?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I'm not sure why, but when I look at that card it just seems like disappointment.

Maybe I just don't like the looks of it :)

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Why?

I was saying that to humor myself.  It's not a piece of junk, just not for me.  I guess the price/performance could be exciting for some.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

I'm not sure why, but when I look at that card it just seems like disappointment.

It is a budget card, so you cant expect that much, vega will be their high end ones.

7 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

I'm not sure what you expected since even AMD themselves said that "Polaris is aiming for mainstream".  If compares to the R9 390X / GTX 980, it's amazing value considering the price and the power consumption (which is yet to be seen).

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

he also mentioned the crossfire solution being more than $200 cheaper - so who cares about the clocks

Raja also noted that the Crossfire solution was running only at about 51% Core utilization and pointed out that further game updates and driver tweaks will only help it get even more performance

all in all I see Polaris as a success - they promised sub $299 VR solution and oh boy did they deliver

for what it is and for how much $$$ they ask for it - it's a great piece tech no matter how you look at it

Here's to seeing the Vega later this year and NAVI next year, I wonder what's the next gen memory technology will be - is it HMC, HBM3, SRAM in gigabyte capacities?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

17 minutes ago, DXMember said:

he also mentioned the crossfire solution being more than $200 cheaper - so who cares about the clocks

Raja also noted that the Crossfire solution was running only at about 51% Core utilization and pointed out that further game updates and driver tweaks will only help it get even more performance

all in all I see Polaris as a success - they promised sub $299 VR solution and oh boy did they deliver

for what it is and for how much $$$ they ask for it - it's a great piece tech no matter how you look at it

Here's to seeing the Vega later this year and NAVI next year, I wonder what's the next gen memory technology will be - is it HMC, HBM3, SRAM in gigabyte capacities?

I cant wait for Vega and the 490x, because if this shows anything about vega at all and how well they have made the cards, Vega is going to be insane and they will have to fuck up really badly for vega being meh.