The Geek Squad is Impressive

I have a fun story to tell. Quick background, I picked up a part time job at Best Buy as a register jockey while I finish up the internship requirement for my software development degree with another company. Just for some extra money, and to fill the hours. I mention that only to establish I work in a related industry, and at least pretend to know what I'm talking about. Today was my first day of training. While I was waiting for the individual from HR I was seated near the Geek Squad desk, and had the wonderful (mis)fortune of overhearing a wonderful exchange.

An older gentleman appeared to have just purchased a laptop, and was looking to get some stuff set up (I couldn't really hear his side of the conversation). What caught my attention was when the employee he was dealing with informed him that the only way to get security software was to pay for it. I was intrigued, but rationalized it to myself by saying she was just trying to keep it simple for him. Then it continued.

Next she asked him if he wanted Google Chrome installed. He seemed to be unsure of what that was. She explained to him that there are "a couple different kinds of search engines, we recommend Chrome, but Edge will also be on there". At this point it's all I can do to not laugh.

For most people this might be enough, but she wasn't done. The gentleman also wanted a password on the system. She asked him to write it down. After he wrote it down she proceeds to READ THE PASSWORD ALOUD.

I know expecting something like the Geek Squad to be staffed by top tier talent is unrealistic, but I feel like referring to a web browser as a search engine should be something that gets you sent to the back to unload trucks.

Anyway just wanted to share that with you guys. Maybe that's kind of par for the course for them, but I haven't really spent much time in any Best Buy in the last 10 years or so.

Thanks for listening!

I thought it was already known that Geek Squad is a joke.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, jslowik said:

I have a fun story to tell. Quick background, I picked up a part time job at Best Buy as a register jockey while I finish up the internship requirement for my software development degree with another company. Just for some extra money, and to fill the hours. I mention that only to establish I work in a related industry, and at least pretend to know what I'm talking about. Today was my first day of training. While I was waiting for the individual from HR I was seated near the Geek Squad desk, and had the wonderful (mis)fortune of overhearing a wonderful exchange.

An older gentleman appeared to have just purchased a laptop, and was looking to get some stuff set up (I couldn't really hear his side of the conversation). What caught my attention was when the employee he was dealing with informed him that the only way to get security software was to pay for it. I was intrigued, but rationalized it to myself by saying she was just trying to keep it simple for him. Then it continued.

Next she asked him if he wanted Google Chrome installed. He seemed to be unsure of what that was. She explained to him that there are "a couple different kinds of search engines, we recommend Chrome, but Edge will also be on there". At this point it's all I can do to not laugh.

For most people this might be enough, but she wasn't done. The gentleman also wanted a password on the system. She asked him to write it down. After he wrote it down she proceeds to READ THE PASSWORD ALOUD.

I know expecting something like the Geek Squad to be staffed by top tier talent is unrealistic, but I feel like referring to a web browser as a search engine should be something that gets you sent to the back to unload trucks.

Anyway just wanted to share that with you guys. Maybe that's kind of par for the course for them, but I haven't really spent much time in any Best Buy in the last 10 years or so.

Thanks for listening!

When I'm at Bestbuy I frequently help customers because the staff is either not there or know very little about what they are supposed to........mind you I'm 16. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

@DeadEyePsycho, you're probably right. I pretty much stopped going to Best Buy when I was finally able to start purchasing stuff online. I've had next to no experience with anything in those stores.

It was just rather astounding. I assumed it was probably pretty low level, but that SINGLE instance had so many impressive failures.

Was just shocking to me.

I applied to work at geeksquad
they told me I wasn't qualified enough

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

6 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

I applied to work at geeksquad
they told me I wasn't qualified enough

Go to bestbuy and make them mad by helping people xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Someone else on the forum actually got banned from all of their local Best Buy stores for doing that lol.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

2 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Someone else on the forum actually got banned from all of their local Best Buy stores for doing that lol.

I worked retail at a hardware store. Like nuts and bolts. So I know that the front line workers can often have no idea what they're talking about, and just regurgitate whatever comes to mind. I did that regularly. The ones, like yourselves, that do know what's going on are usually vastly overqualified and move on to bigger and better things fairly quickly.

I just remember browsing through the job requirements for the Geek Squad (and I also applied to one of those spots a few years back) and seeing there were some decent education requirements. Hearing someone refer to Chrome as a search engine is still baffling.

That being said getting banned from all the local Best Buys for assisting people is probably something we should all aspire to.

7 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Blue shirt: "Sir you don't work here" 

Me: "It doesn't look like you do either" 

*drops mic*

11 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

whenever I have to go there I always pass by the pc section to tell people to go somewhere else :P

4 minutes ago, jslowik said:

I worked retail at a hardware store. Like nuts and bolts. So I know that the front line workers can often have no idea what they're talking about, and just regurgitate whatever comes to mind. I did that regularly. The ones, like yourselves, that do know what's going on are usually vastly overqualified and move on to bigger and better things fairly quickly.

I just remember browsing through the job requirements for the Geek Squad (and I also applied to one of those spots a few years back) and seeing there were some decent education requirements. Hearing someone refer to Chrome as a search engine is still baffling.

That being said getting banned from all the local Best Buys for assisting people is probably something we should all aspire to.

yeah they required me to have passed both exams for A+ (on the website tho its "reccomended") and frankly, I don't really understand their way of doing things.

though its somewhat understandable theat they can't know everything. they don'T just fix computers.. they fix anything electronic sold in the store. wich is kind of a lot of stuff.

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

7 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

though its somewhat understandable theat they can't know everything. they don'T just fix computers.. they fix anything electronic sold in the store. wich is kind of a lot of stuff.

I do agree 100% with that. The only thing that makes this particular instance fairly unforgivable in my eyes is because it is basic knowledge. As mentioned I was willing to forgive there being no mention of free alternatives for security software. Referring to browsers as "search engines", and saying a customer's password loud enough to be heard ~10 feet away probably shouldn't be happening.

Maybe I'm just being unreasonable though :P

Also your sig is mean!

yeah now i only go to best buy on black friday, only to see what kind of deals they have, maybe on macbooks. i never wanna deal with their geek squad.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, jslowik said:

I do agree 100% with that. The only thing that makes this particular instance fairly unforgivable in my eyes is because it is basic knowledge. As mentioned I was willing to forgive there being no mention of free alternatives for security software. Referring to browsers as "search engines", and saying a customer's password loud enough to be heard ~10 feet away probably shouldn't be happening.

Nah, you're not being unreasonable. I don't expect people working at tech stores to know nothing. I expect them to know more than your average consumer. Meaning that I don't expect them to know how to build a pc or use a soldering iron, but I do expect them to know the difference between a browser and a search engine, and i3 and an i5, or know basic pc security. I'll expect them to know how to do a decent job of picking out a laptop (or other electronic) for someone.

Specs:

3 minutes ago, jslowik said:

Also your sig is mean!

hehehehehe

I love being a dick to people who have things to do >: D

1 hour ago, givingtnt said:

whenever I have to go there I always pass by the pc section to tell people to go somewhere else :P

yeah they required me to have passed both exams for A+ (on the website tho its "reccomended") and frankly, I don't really understand their way of doing things.

Seriously? They required the A+ cert? I took that last year so I do have it but the tests are seriously outdated, as in the newest Intel architecture mentioned on the test was Nehalem.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Seriously? They required the A+ cert? I took that last year so I do have it but the tests are seriously outdated, as in the newest Intel architecture mentioned on the test was Nehalem.

ik but maybe thats just for my store. its not "officaly" required

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Geek Squad is just sales people, they don't know shit. They're also crooks.

I'd watch but I don't like fox so I'll take your word

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I'd watch but I don't like fox so I'll take your word

It's not Fox News and their right wing crap though, it's a local Fox affiliate.

5 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It's not Fox News and their right wing crap though, it's a local Fox affiliate.

That was actually pretty interesting.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

31 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Geek Squad is just sales people, they don't know shit. They're also crooks.

This is cancer......its weird to see FOX do some real reporting and journalism 

4 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

Nah, you're not being unreasonable. I don't expect people working at tech stores to know nothing. I expect them to know more than your average consumer. Meaning that I don't expect them to know how to build a pc or use a soldering iron, but I do expect them to know the difference between a browser and a search engine, and i3 and an i5, or know basic pc security. I'll expect them to know how to do a decent job of picking out a laptop (or other electronic) for someone.

Aww only that much?  I would think, for example, I'd want them to know more about the GTX 1080 than Jen-Hsun Huang does. :D

2 hours ago, stconquest said:

Never mind Geek Squad...

WTF is FOX News doing?  Actual investigative journalism?  lol

Just a local Fox station. Totally different than the main one.

3 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Aww only that much?  I would think, for example, I'd want them to know more about the GTX 1080 than Jen-Hsun Huang does. :D

Seems logical. 

Specs: