[H]ardOCP Editor Claims Internal Problems for AMD - Polaris Underwhelming and RTG Seeking to Leave AMD For Intel

HKZeroFive

Still waiting for actual tests before I form an opinion. This could very well be nonsense. Or it could be true, but I hope not, and I think everyone does too.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

" The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 and 1070 launch was a surprise to AMD " " runs hotter and slower than its competition's new architecture by a potentially significant margin "
I call bullshit. The GTX 1080/1070 was just as we expected, it was pretty much maxwell, but with really high clock speeds, I wouldn't call it surprising. I also doubt polaris runs hotter, as AMD has only been talking about efficiency, and we saw that polaris 11 was more than 2x the efficiency of a gtx 950 on starwars battlefront.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

its not an article by @Zmeul i might be tempted to believe it, but then again too many fanboys and haters everywhere i only believe it when its official, seems to me like the desktop is going trough hard times, with MS windowsOS garbage and AMD not being able to recover and make any profits, also intel and nvidia delivering less and less bang for the buck with each gen

I'm going to wait and see what will come from this but from the original article's discussion; Kyle is also claiming also that AMD tried to buy him off in regards to the Roy Taylor situation including an all expenses paid trip and exclusive interviews with the RTG head.

Unless he is telling the truth, I wouldn't be surprised if AMD tried to go after him for that.

Big claims need big evidence. Let's wait and see. Hopefully we'll get solid news on Polaris real soon, although Zen is a bit of a wait...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Oh it's this guy again. Yeah I don't believe a word he says.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

If this was true, then what sort of witchcraft did AMD show off at previous events?

So far what I've worried the most about has been the process node. Abandoning TSMC for GloFo/Samsung was a risky move.

1 hour ago, don_svetlio said:

Seems like a PR stunt honestly. This should be under NDA aka this guy should get sued hard for leaking such info and since no action is being taken I'd imagine it's false.

It would be insanely stupid to sue this guy, first off taking actions against leaks or rumors is a solid confirmation that the leak/rumor is true which would be worst for AMD, second of all, the only guy they can take an action against is the employee for leaking the info, you can't sue a journal for reporting on something unless you go in a crusade to kill a company with false info that said company has proof that the info is false and it involves something straight out illegal like overworked employees essentially turning into a clusterfuck that requires legal action in some form. Like what some ass hat tried to do with CIG, the guys making star citizen.

Of course this would be the case if that info is legit which we have no idea if it is.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

1 hour ago, NinerL said:

I think it's true, instead of a personal heater, now buyers will get a full fledged furnace. xDxD

Hawaii 2.0 anyone? 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

Hawaii 2.0 anyone? 

Nah man, Thermi Mk.2 :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I can just imagine the scenario. AMD disappointed his girlfriend, and now she is pissy in the bed next to him. Instead of wooing him to get some, she instead decides to violently diarrhea all over the bed.

Seriously Hardocp, what are you doing? Didn't you learn your lesson back when you whined not getting a Nano for review?

Now to the points:

• We know Polaris is mainstream/performance and down
  • We know performance to ultra enthusiast is the Vega chips (these are Papermaster's words)
  • Radeon is making AMD money on gpu, on server compute, on SOC's, on APU's. It makes zero sense to sell Radeon off. Both financially and business strategically
  • Based on Papermaster's quotes, they are not impressed with Pascal, noting that it's just a die shrink that causes increased clock speeds, which is the reason for the higher performance of the 1080. He noted that Polaris has a completely new architecture as well as a die shrink.

You shit the bed Hardocp. Acting like a scorn ex gf, instead of a professional reviewer. You are making a joke of yourself.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Nah man, Thermi Mk.2 :D

"new r9 480x!  Now with more transistors that have the sole purpose of using power! "

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Well, 1080 throttles due to both being on a reference cooler which always throttles any card and it has a single 8-pin so if it isn't throttling due to heat it's because it's at its peak power.

No. Single 8-pin is enough. It is actually thermal throttling. Proof -> watch newest JayzTwoCents video.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

It is also rumored that I give a damn about rumors

You wanna provide a source for those rumours mate? 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Maybe nvidia marketing 2.0?

Make reviewers talk shit about AMD

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

greenlight cause he didn't get invited to Macau? .. thats not how that works

I saw this article, and was genuinely confused by it.

It did seem to me though he may be a little angry at AMD because they didn't get invited to Macau and didn't get r9 nanos.

As well, he didn't state any sources at all.

I'm personally waiting to see how Polaris performs before agreeing or disagreeing, but I really find it hard to believe that Intel would buy RTG. If that happened to AMD it might not be too good for them.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I am getting so tired of these rumors. I used to love any speculations and read enthusiastic discussions but this all turned into one huge shitstorm war.

Let's just wait for Polaris or some new official informations. It shouldn't be too long I believe.

Being journalistic is one thing, but the personal attacks on Lisa Su are completely unwarranted and unprofessional. Regardless of whether any of it is actually true or not, it has no credibility.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

I mean it sounds like it would make a lot of fucking sense for Intel to pick up ATi if you ask me. And AMD should also then become a bargain for someone large enough to renegotiate the patent lockdown with intel like Samsung for example.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

" The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 and 1070 launch was a surprise to AMD " " runs hotter and slower than its competition's new architecture by a potentially significant margin "
I call bullshit. The GTX 1080/1070 was just as we expected, it was pretty much maxwell, but with really high clock speeds, I wouldn't call it surprising. I also doubt polaris runs hotter, as AMD has only been talking about efficiency, and we saw that polaris 11 was more than 2x the efficiency of a gtx 950 on starwars battlefront.

The fact that they're on a smaller node would suggest that. However AMD is known to be really dishonest about how they achieve those targets i.e. the throttle of the self crippling nano.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

The fact that they're on a smaller node would suggest that. However AMD is known to be really dishonest about how they achieve those targets i.e. the throttle of the self crippling nano.

The 14nm LPP design is a very potent process - trust me, it makes 0 sense for anything to run hot on it. Especially a 140W GPU like Polaris 10. As for performance, it's a 300$ GPU - are they seriously comparing it to a 700$ one? #Logic.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

The 14nm LPP design is a very potent process - trust me, it makes 0 sense for anything to run hot on it. Especially a 140W GPU like Polaris 10. As for performance, it's a 300$ GPU - are they seriously comparing it to a 700$ one? #Logic.

1) So you're not going to acknowledge that they basically cheated to get the nano under control? Sure massive gains are possible but it is also possible that at 180 or 190W they would be fine but they ram it down an extra 50 by throttling it so it looks even better on paper.

2) A fair analogy would be me signing up to race a marathon and while I am only 2/3rds of the way through I hear very strong rumors on how the leader is actually just 3 minutes away from the finish line and thus I make a declaration stating "Oh I didn't enter this race to win I am actually just practicing on this one to stay in shape, the real race where I actually try will be later on!"

I am sorry to say but I don't buy it: they probably decided "We're doing midrange" after they got wind they had no way to even compete on the high end yet.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

1) So you're not going to acknowledge that they basically cheated to get the nano under control? Sure massive gains are possible but it is also possible that at 180 or 190W they would be fine but they ram it down an extra 50 by throttling it so it looks even better on paper.

2) A fair analogy would be me signing up to race a marathon and while I am only 2/3rds of the way through I hear very strong rumors on how the leader is actually just 3 minutes away from the finish line and thus I make a declaration stating "Oh I didn't enter this race to win I am actually just practicing on this one to stay in shape, the real race where I actually try will be later on!"

I am sorry to say but I don't buy it: they probably decided "We're doing midrange" after they got wind they had no way to even compete on the high end yet.

Do yourself a favor and read last year's articles. They've been saying that Polaris is high end laptop and mid-range desktop since day one. Vega is the replacement for the Fury line-up. It's evident even by the simplest of things such as die size.

As for the Nano - it was a hard-enforced temp limit that keeps it at 75*C or below - once you put a block on it it works fine at nominal speeds.

1 hour ago, Notional said:

I can just imagine the scenario. AMD disappointed his girlfriend, and now she is pissy in the bed next to him. Instead of wooing him to get some, she instead decides to violently diarrhea all over the bed.

Actually ATi probably didn't choose a relationship with AMD, but had to whore itself out to a millionaire who offered a lot of cash to marry him. She's now trapped with an abusive husband that beats the crap out of her on a daily basis. Shitting the bed would actually be a reasonable tactic to hope the disgust leads AMD to accept a fucking divorce.

-------

Current Rig

-------