thermal paste on back of cpu

5 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

I answered my own question - I was too worried about the CPU and I never thought of the other components. I forgot to put the RAM back in! xD

Why did you take the RAM out?

ahahahahahaha :)

those things also happen to me sometimes, then i will begin to panic :D

So it is working xD ?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

20 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Why did you take the RAM out?

I have a cooler master hyper 212x and it is a pain in the a$$ to take out. So I took the RAM out so my arm had more space.

2 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

I have a cooler master hyper 212x and it is a pain in the a$$ to take out. So I took the RAM out so my arm had more space.

Ah, makes sense!  I was really close to buying one, but I got a really good deal on an aio so I'm not too familiar with the little things. 

2 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Ah, makes sense!  I was really close to buying one, but I got a really good deal on an aio so I'm not too familiar with the little things. 

Lucky! >.<  How much did the AIO cost?

Just curious. 

1 minute ago, Telebubbies said:

Lucky! >.<  How much did the AIO cost?

Just curious. 

I got an intel Thermal solutions rts 2011lc for $20, and a Corsair H100 for $40 off of craigslist near me. 

10 hours ago, MichiganChucker said:

also, id like to know why u were 50% thru ur "very extremely important school project" and decided to take ur pc apart and wipe ur cpu with some poo paper?

I was about 1 and a half hours in hyper and I started walking around my room for a break. Then I remembered that I forgot to do the thermal paste. 

So I did that as kinda a break. But it got too out of hand.. :/

Everything is fine now. I got 90% alcohol and cleaned it. 

Hey guys! Yesterday I got thermal paste at the back of my CPU and I already had a post about that. But now I put rubbing alcohol (90% alcohol) and removed the paste. This was about 10 hours ago. My PC was on ever since I cleaned the back of the CPU. But now after I ran a 3DMARK firestrike test on my pc to see the score, I was comparing the score online and then my PC just turned off. It tried booting up right after but kept failing. I turned the PC off by the PSU (I know it is harsh and "abusive" to the hardware). Then I fired the PC back up and it worked. Could this have ben caused by the benchmark test? I have a i5 6600k and it runs at 3.5Ghz and turbos to 3.9GHz. 

There is still a little stain of thermal paste on the back of the CPU. But I think that it is fine as I use MX-4 Thermal paste and it does not contain any metallic particles. No copper or silver. 

Did you check your temps? The cooler could've just been not seated properly and the cpu could've shut down to prevent damage. If that was the case, there's nothing to worry about and you should try reseating the cooler.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

remove that last smere of paste just to be sure, it might get runny and interfere with some pin or somehting

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Did you check your temps? The cooler could've just been not seated properly and the cpu could've shut down to prevent damage. If that was the case, there's nothing to worry about and you should try reseating the cooler.

After I cleaned the CPU I edited BIOS to warn my when the temp limits exceeds 60c. I got no notifications. 

After I cleaned the CPU I edited BIOS to warn my when the temp limits exceeds 60c. I got no notifications. 

That setting might actually just turn off the system at 60c as opposed to giving a warning. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

Hey guys! Yesterday I got thermal paste at the back of my CPU and I already had a post about that. But now I put rubbing alcohol (90% alcohol) and removed the paste. This was about 10 hours ago. My PC was on ever since I cleaned the back of the CPU. But now after I ran a 3DMARK firestrike test on my pc to see the score, I was comparing the score online and then my PC just turned off. It tried booting up right after but kept failing. I turned the PC off by the PSU (I know it is harsh and "abusive" to the hardware). Then I fired the PC back up and it worked. Could this have ben caused by the benchmark test? I have a i5 6600k and it runs at 3.5Ghz and turbos to 3.9GHz. 

There is still a little stain of thermal paste on the back of the CPU. But I think that it is fine as I use MX-4 Thermal paste and it does not contain any metallic particles. No copper or silver. 

Was the alcohol isopropyl alcohol or not? If not that might be the reason why.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

That setting might actually just turn off the system at 60c as opposed to giving a warning. 

Let me try getting my temps to 60c again and monitor it and see what happens. Gimmi a min 

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It just shut down again before I could open the program! The on button is doing absolutely nothing! No beeping and the LED light for GPU is not showing! 

It just shut down again before I could open the program! The on button is doing absolutely nothing! No beeping and the LED light for GPU is not showing! 

It's your CPU. You have to reset your Bios.

Keep trying to turn it on until it enters the BIOS

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's your CPU. You have to reset your Bios.

Keep trying to turn it on until it enters the BIOS

It might actually be BIOS. the PC was not turning on, but now when I turn it off by the PSU and turn it back on, then the PC will turn on. Let me just confirm this theory and then I will end this post. :)

5 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

It might actually be BIOS. the PC was not turning on, but now when I turn it off by the PSU and turn it back on, then the PC will turn on. Let me just confirm this theory and then I will end this post. :)

If it is the bios then it should have entered it and reset it to factory settings.

22 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

There is still a little stain of thermal paste on the back of the CPU

By back do you mean the metal part or the gold pads on the bottom of it?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

By back do you mean the metal part or the gold pads on the bottom of it?

The gold pads that touch the pins in the socket. 

Just now, Telebubbies said:

The gold pads that touch the pins in the socket. 

The thermal paste has to go onto the metal part. xD

19 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

So it was the BIOS setting! :)

Thanks for the help. 

And by any chance, while I am playing GTA or any other CPU intensive games, what CPU temps should I keep under? 

16 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If it is the bios then it should have entered it and reset it to factory settings.

28 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It is not BIOS. PC just shut down again and temps were at 45c.