thermal paste on back of cpu

4 minutes ago, XamN said:

I've never heard that lol

i put it back into my socket. I rubbed it really slightly with the toilet paper; it spread a tiny bit but at least i can see the pins again. But they look grey. Tomorrow I will go and buy the alcohol. 

Then get 90% rubbing alcohol.  There's a WAAAAY higher chance of bending Or breaking a pin and making your motherboard useless trying to clean out thermal paste than there is of hurting a cpu with alcohol.   Like a 50% chance of the former, at least, and a .5% chance of the latter.

Edited by ace_cheaply
Correcting my autocorrect

2 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Then get 90% running alcohol.  There's a WAAAAY higher chance of bending Or breaking a pin and making your motherboard useless trying to clean out thermal paste than there is of hurting a cup with alcohol.   Like a 50% chance of the former, at least, and a .05% chance of the latter.

Agreed

4 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

i put it back into my socket. I rubbed it really slightly with the toilet paper; it spread a tiny bit but at least i can see the pins again. But they look grey. Tomorrow I will go and buy the alcohol. 

In my opinion it was not a good idea to put the cpu in the socket

48 minutes ago, XamN said:

Agreed

In my opinion it was not a good idea to put the cpu in the socket

The thermal paste is not spreading to the socket as I did lightly take some of the compound off with toilet paper. I have turned my PC on and started getting back to work. I will buy the alcohol tomorrow and clean the CPU, then after just dab some on the socket incase there are any traces left over. What do you think of this?

Your guys info was helpful. But I have a massive project due for Monday and I am like 50% done with it. All the data was on the PC. So I had to do what I have to do to get it back up so I can get back to work. 

Thanks for the feedback. I now know what to do. :)

P.S My teachers won't understand my excuse if the project is late. They don't even know what computer hardware is - my whole school thinks that a PC is only run by RAM. Lol

5 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

The thermal paste is not spreading to the socket as I did lightly take some of the compound off with toilet paper. I have turned my PC on and started getting back to work. I will buy the alcohol tomorrow and clean the CPU, then after just dab some on the socket incase there are any traces left over. What do you think of this?

Your guys info was helpful. But I have a massive project due for Monday and I am like 50% done with it. All the data was on the PC. So I had to do what I have to do to get it back up so I can get back to work. 

Thanks for the feedback. I now know what to do. :)

P.S My teachers won't understand my excuse if the project is late. They don't even know what computer hardware is - my whole school thinks that a PC is only run by RAM. Lol

If it works then i guess its ok now :D

I would highly advise not touching the motherboard pins at all if you can avoid it.  When you pull the cpu out, take a look at the round pinheads and see if any paste is on them.  Hopefully you wiped enough off of the cpu that it didn't spread to the socket.  Wiping pins with any but the most gentle of touches using a needle or similarly thin tool is likely to bend them. If it's running normally, I would just wipe the bottom of the cpu and then let it dry for a couple hours at least. If you can't go without your computer this weekend then do it before you go to sleep, and let it dry overnight.  Leave the socket alone, imho.

1 minute ago, ace_cheaply said:

I would highly advise not touching the motherboard pins at all if you can avoid it.  When you pull the gpu out, take a look at the round pinheads and see if any paste is on them.  Hopefully you wiped enough off of the gpu that it didn't spread to the socket.  Wiping pins with any but the most gentle of touches using a needle or similarly thin tool is likely to bend them. If it's running normally, I would just wipe the bottom of the cpu and then let it dry for a couple hours at least. If you can't go without your computer this weekend then do it before you go to sleep, and let it dry overnight.  Leave the socket alone, imho.

It is the CPU. Not GPU. The GPU does not have pins. It has a PCIe, but not pins.

All jokes aside, I understand what you are saying. You just had a brain fart.

Thanks for the tip. Tomorrow I will take a magnifying glass and a bright light and look - no jokes. 

Thanks again! :)

1 minute ago, Telebubbies said:

It is the CPU. Not GPU. The GPU does not have pins. It has a PCIe, but not pins.

All jokes aside, I understand what you are saying. You just had a brain fart.

Thanks for the tip. Tomorrow I will take a magnifying glass and a bright light and look - no jokes. 

Thanks again! :)

No, I did not have a brain fart, my autocorrect simply changes cpu to gpu every time I type it. It's annoying, and was already fixed within 30 seconds of posting. You just happened to be that paying close attention that in the time it took me to realize it messed up again and fix it, you had already quoted me.

OP I certainly hope your system fairs well but after reading this entire thread... I am shaking my head.

Why are you applying paste on the cpu before placing the cpu in the mobo? Always apply the paste after placing the cpu back in it's socket.

But for future reference;

1. Do not use toilet paper to clean the paste.

2. Always use Alcohol (70% minimum) when cleaning parts.

3. Use a q-tip if possible to clean the pins - very carefully so as not to bend them.

4. Do not place the CPU back in the socket until it is Clean and Dry.

Not being cynical here but it does seem like you are being in a hurry with this project. 

One more question, what was the reason you are re-applying the paste to the cpu to begin with? 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, ace_cheaply said:

No, I did not have a brain fart, my autocorrect simply changes cpu to gpu every time I type it. It's annoying, and was already fixed within 30 seconds of posting. You just happened to be that paying close attention that in the time it took me to realize it messed up again and fix it, you had already quoted me.

You can disable autocorrect. ;) 

1 minute ago, Telebubbies said:

You can disable autocorrect. ;) 

You can also not be sarcastic to people that have helped you. ;)  True sign of a teenager.  Besides, it is usually a blessing since I have huge fingers and it gets it right about 90% of the time.  But, go on with your self righteousness.  I can tell by your responses in this thread it'll be a few years before you grow out of it.   Anyways, best of luck with your rig and your project.

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

OP I certainly hope your system fairs well but after reading this entire thread... I am shaking my head.

Why are you applying paste on the cpu before placing the cpu in the mobo? Always apply the paste after placing the cpu back in it's socket.

But for future reference;

1. Do not use toilet paper to clean the paste.

2. Always use Alcohol (70% minimum) when cleaning parts.

3. Use a q-tip if possible to clean the pins - very carefully so as not to bend them.

4. Do not place the CPU back in the socket until it is Clean and Dry.

Not being cynical here but it does seem like you are being in a hurry with this project. 

One more question, what was the reason you are re-applying the paste to the cpu to begin with? 

When I was first building the PC, I never put enough paste on it. 

I realised that after building it. I was too lazy to put the paste on till today. This is because I have a cooler master hyper 212x and it is a pain in the a$$ to put back in. 

Btw I built my pc about 3 weeks ago. 

Thanks for the tip. I never cleaned the CPU yet - and the rush is that I have a huge project for Monday and I cannot be delayed by this. So I cannot wait till tomorrow to start working again as I will never be done by Monday. 

2 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

You can also not be sarcastic to people that have helped you. ;)  True sign of a teenager.  Besides, it is usually a blessing since I have huge fingers and it gets it right about 90% of the time.  But, go on with your self righteousness.  I can tell by your responses in this thread it'll be a few years before you grow out of it.   Anyways, best of luck with your rig and your project.

That was spot on! I am actually nearly 16.. Lol. And when you said "But, go on wth your self righteousness" you forgot about the comma before calling me righteousness. (I am just pulling your leg). 

Anyways, thanks. 

5 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

When I was first building the PC, I never put enough paste on it. 

I realised that after building it. I was too lazy to put the paste on till today. This is because I have a cooler master hyper 212x and it is a pain in the a$$ to put back in. 

Btw I built my pc about 3 weeks ago. 

Thanks for the tip. I never cleaned the CPU yet - and the rush is that I have a huge project for Monday and I cannot be delayed by this. So I cannot wait till tomorrow to start working again as I will never be done by Monday. 

Just so you know it was a very risky thing to place that back in  in the condition it was.

Is the paste you used ceramic or silver? If it was ceramic that is what will save your bacon there but it can still be conductive, if it is silver I strongly suggest you get that thing pulled out now and clean it before it shorts the hell out of your mobo and cpu.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Just so you know it was a very risky thing to place that back in  in the condition it was.

Is the paste you used ceramic or silver? If it was ceramic that is what will save your bacon there but it can still be conductive, if it is silver I strongly suggest you get that thing pulled out now and clean it before it shorts the hell out of your mobo and cpu.

It is Arctic MX-4. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038

No metalic particles! ;)

If it did have metallic particles, my CPU would be bacon! Ha!

8 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

That was spot on! I am actually nearly 16.. Lol. And when you said "But, go on wth your self righteousness" you forgot about the comma before calling me righteousness. (I am just pulling your leg). 

Anyways, thanks. 

Alright, I'll admit that one made me chuckle.  Good one, now stop harrassing the old folks, get off my lawn and go get that project done! 

6 hours ago, Telebubbies said:

I heard that if you put rubbing alcohol on the cpu there is a small chance that it will break. As there is 30% water in it. 

You should use 90%+. But 70% wont hurt as long if you let it dry thoroughly.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

7 hours ago, Telebubbies said:

I heard that if you put rubbing alcohol on the cpu there is a small chance that it will break. As there is 30% water in it. 

Having 30%  water in it means that it will take a little longer to evaporate compared to rubbing alcohol with 10%...Nothing harmful though if you hate waiting, get 99 percent rubbing alocohol 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Umm did you make sure there's no thermal paste in the socket on the motherboard??? 

My RIG:

CPU: Intel core i7 4790k     Motherboard: Msi krait edition z97      RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 8GB Gaming Black Edition     Case: Thermaltake core v71   Storage: Samsung 850 pro 256gb OS, WD green 2Tb, WD blue 500GB, WD blue 350gb, Segate barracuda 250gb      PSU: NZXT hale82 v2 700w     Cooling: Noctua nh-d15   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

So reading through the thread I do not see this fairly obvious question answered, but is the CPU AMD or Intel.. makes quite a big difference... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

also, id like to know why u were 50% thru ur "very extremely important school project" and decided to take ur pc apart and wipe ur cpu with some poo paper?

29 minutes ago, MichiganChucker said:

also, id like to know why u were 50% thru ur "very extremely important school project" and decided to take ur pc apart and wipe ur cpu with some poo paper?

It obviously needed a clean bottom!!! 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

14 hours ago, Telebubbies said:

I put it back into the pc and the pc works. 

-_- how hard is it for you to learn xD

MY RIG

I5 6600k

16gb Corsair vengeance 2666mhz

MSI Gaming X 1070

WD blue 2tb

samsung 850 evo 250gb

EVGA supernova G2 650w

Hey guys! Yesterday I made a post about my CPU getting thermal paste on the golden parts at the back. I was told that I must gentally take rubbing alcohol (I got 90% alcohol) and dab it on the back. That is what I did. Now when I turn my PC on, it turns on, but nothing displays and then it restarts. 

Is my CPU dead????

9 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

Hey guys! Yesterday I made a post about my CPU getting thermal paste on the golden parts at the back. I was told that I must gentally take rubbing alcohol (I got 90% alcohol) and dab it on the back. That is what I did. Now when I turn my PC on, it turns on, but nothing displays and then it restarts. 

Is my CPU dead????

I answered my own question - I was too worried about the CPU and I never thought of the other components. I forgot to put the RAM back in! xD