thermal paste on back of cpu

hi guys. sorry but i am typing right now with 1 hand as i am holding the cpu with other hand. so i was applying thermal paste to the cpu and i got a little on the back. it is like as thin as hair and it goes over about 15 pins. how can i remove it? can i put it in the mobo like this?

4 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

hi guys. sorry but i am typing right now with 1 hand as i am holding the cpu with other hand. so i was applying thermal paste to the cpu and i got a little on the back. it is like as thin as hair and it goes over about 15 pins. how can i remove it? can i put it in the mobo like this?

DO NOT PUT IT IN MOBO LIKE THAT!

Just use rubbing alcohol and lightly remove it. Make sure it is 100% dry before you put it back in the socket though. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Just use rubbing alcohol and lightly remove it. Make sure it is 100% dry before you put it back in the socket though. 

what do i do

Just now, Telebubbies said:

what do i do

The same process as cleaning it off the front of a cpu... see below.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

i dont have rubbing alcohol. cant i just lightly rub it with toilet paper?

1 minute ago, Telebubbies said:

Do you have isopropyl alcohol? Maybe those medical wipes with alcohol on them?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Do you have window cleaner?

How did you clean the cpu heat sink in the first place?

You don't want to use toilet paper because it could leave behind fibers that COULD (I say "could" not "will" for a reason) cause shorts or other issues.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

23 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Do you have isopropyl alcohol? Maybe those medical wipes with alcohol on them?

i have nothing with alcohol and it is nearly midnight for me..

22 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Do you have window cleaner?

How did you clean the cpu heat sink in the first place?

You don't want to use toilet paper because it could leave behind fibers that COULD (I say "could" not "will" for a reason) cause shorts or other issues.

dude i was applying more paste. i cannot hold this cpu for any longer.. the corners are hurting my fingers. what will happen if i put it back in mobo

2 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

dude i was applying more paste. i cannot hold this cpu for any longer.. the corners are hurting my fingers. what will happen if i put it back in mobo

And what did you use to clean off the old paste?!?!?!

Just set the cpu on a table and clean it up later... Don't put it back in the mobo while it is dirty or you will have to try to clean out the socket as well (a very timeconsuming and annoying task).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

7 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

The cpu is not gonna break or anything like that, chill m8.

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

And what did you use to clean off the old paste?!?!?!

Just set the cpu on a table and clean it up later... Don't put it back in the mobo while it is dirty or you will have to try to clean out the socket as well (a very timeconsuming and annoying task).

what happens if i just put it back into the mobo and forget about this? or just wait for tomorrow to do this? so i can just let the mobo hold it. will it fry the cpu?

what happens if i just put it back into the mobo and forget about this? or just wait for tomorrow to do this? so i can just let the mobo hold it. will it fry the cpu?

JUST PUT THE CPU SOMEWHERE ELSE IT WON'T GET DAMAGED! 

JESUS FUCK. If you put the cpu back in the mobo you will get paste in the socket and the socket is a HUGE FUCKING DICK TO CLEAN.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

JUST PUT THE CPU SOMEWHERE ELSE IT WON'T GET DAMAGED! 

JESUS FUCK. If you put the cpu back in the mobo you will get paste in the socket and the socket is a HUGE FUCKING DICK TO CLEAN.

so it wont fly or break if i put i in mobo?

so it wont fly or break if i put i in mobo?

I'm seriously questioning your intellect right now...

No, it won't break if the cpu isn't on, but if you get paste in the mobo YOU WILL REGRET IT, and the chance of breaking a pin while trying to clean the socket IS SUPER HIGH.

Just put the cpu on a shelf or table somewhere..... why does it need to go back into the pc?!?!

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

No, it won't break if the cpu isn't on, but if you get paste in the mobo YOU WILL REGRET IT, and the chance of breaking a pin while trying to clean the socket IS SUPER HIGH.

Just put the cpu on a shelf or table somewhere..... why does it need to go back into the pc?!?!

because if i leave it on the table or shelf overnight it will pack dust. 

11 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

Then clean it, dont put it in ur mobo because u have to clean the socket 

4 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I put it back into the pc and the pc works. 

Dust is not gonna break ur cpu

4 minutes ago, XamN said:

Then clean it, dont put it in ur mobo because u have to clean the socket 

CLEAN IT WITH WHAT?! I HAVE NO RUBBING ALCOHOL! 

3 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

CLEAN IT WITH WHAT?! I HAVE NO RUBBING ALCOHOL! 

Use a fabric or something

With a shirt

1 minute ago, XamN said:

With a shirt

That will generate static probs

7 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

And you should be cleaning the damn thing anyways so who gives a flying fuck.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

That will generate static probs

Ground urself with touching a psu that is plugged in but not powered on

Btw, dont stress too much ur parts will not break because of thermal paste or dust

2 minutes ago, XamN said:

Ground urself with touching a psu that is plugged in but not powered on

Btw, dont stress too much ur parts will not break because of thermal paste or dust

I heard that if you put rubbing alcohol on the cpu there is a small chance that it will break. As there is 30% water in it. 

I heard that if you put rubbing alcohol on the cpu there is a small chance that it will break. As there is 30% water in it. 

I've never heard that lol