thermal paste on back of cpu

10 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

So it was the BIOS setting! :)

Thanks for the help. 

And by any chance, while I am playing GTA or any other CPU intensive games, what CPU temps should I keep under? 

You're fine up to 80-90c at load.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

You're fine up to 80-90c at load.

It was not BIOS. PC shut down again while temps were at 45c. 

1 minute ago, Telebubbies said:

It was not BIOS. PC shut down again while temps were at 45c. 

Are you using the default bios settings?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

yes!

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Is there a program that I can install that can tell me if there is a broken pin or something? >.< 

I highly doubt that there is one. 

4 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

Is there a program that I can install that can tell me if there is a broken pin or something? >.< 

I highly doubt that there is one. 

No, you're going to have to take the cpu out and see. 

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

No, you're going to have to take the cpu out and see. 

The thermal paste stain is covering about 20 gold plats on the back of the CPU. But I am not sure if it is affecting the area or if the plat is important. I will run some more stress and see if it happens again. I plugged my PSU into another socket and checked if all the cables are all in carefully. 

The thermal paste stain is covering about 20 gold plats on the back of the CPU. But I am not sure if it is affecting the area or if the plat is important. I will run some more stress and see if it happens again. I plugged my PSU into another socket and checked if all the cables are all in carefully. 

That is very important. Clean the bottom of the cpu. 

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The thermal paste does not have any metallic particles. No copper or silver. And I will need to rub really hard to remove it all. It will break.. 

But anyway, things seem to work now. I think that the CPU cable to the motherboard was loose from when I was cleaning the CPU.

Thanks for the help guys! :)

20 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It happened again - but I was monitoring the CPU on GTA V with MSI Afterburner. It hit 100% and just shut off.. 

It happened again - but I was monitoring the CPU on GTA V with MSI Afterburner. It hit 100% and just shut off.. 

You should clean the cpu.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

You should clean the cpu.

I will have to rub the gold plats harder than I did before then. Are you sure the plats won't get damaged?

And if this is the issue, then how come I am only experiencing the issues now? 

I will have to rub the gold plats harder than I did before then. Are you sure the plats won't get damaged?

And if this is the issue, then how come I am only experiencing the issues now? 

Oh dear............ Oh no..................

Both what you said and what you did was wrong........

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

What do you mean? I took 90% alcohol and put it on a coffee filter, then I gently rubbed the thermal paste at the back of the CPU off. 

That is what I was told to do yesterday. 

36 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Still alive?

21 minutes ago, Telebubbies said:

What do you mean? I took 90% alcohol and put it on a coffee filter, then I gently rubbed the thermal paste at the back of the CPU off. 

That is what I was told to do yesterday. 

IT has to be ISOPROPYL alcohol.

And also the way you wrote it was kind of suggestive and sexual..... Just throwing it out there.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

And also the way you wrote it was kind of suggestive and sexual..... Just throwing it out there.

I just noticed that. Lol

I don't think that way.. Well I do.

Anyway, I went to the pharmacy and asked for something that was 80% or higher alcohol and they gave me a 500ml bottle and it says 90% alcohol on it. That is it. But when I play games like Minecraft, the PC does not crash. When I play GTA V then it crashes after a while.. Still not sure if it is random or not. Tomorrow morning I will try opening the PC and try redoing everything.

btw the alcohol is fine.. Does not matter what type of alcohol it is. 

On 5/27/2016 at 6:34 PM, Telebubbies said:

how can i remove it?

You never said what CPU it is. If it's a newer Intel CPU you can just clean it with alcohol or window or general purpose spray cleaner (preferably a "green" cleaner as they aren't as harsh as say, Windex) and a cloth, or kleenex.

If it's an AMD CPU with pins, use alcohol or window cleaner and a fine toothbrush to carefully remove most of it.

In both case, if you use a cleaner, be sure to rinse it off with water after you clean it to remove any residue.

There's not much need to get overly concerned about it. Most thermal compound is non-conductive - check the package - so small amounts left on the lands (Intel) or pins (AMD) won't matter as long as it doesn't impede electrical contact.

Residue from a Kleenex or paper towel is also non-conductive, so you just have to make sure there's no fibres interfering with the electrical connections.

Water won't bother the CPU as long as it's dry when you install it.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

2 hours ago, Quaker said:

You never said what CPU it is. If it's a newer Intel CPU you can just clean it with alcohol or window or general purpose spray cleaner (preferably a "green" cleaner as they aren't as harsh as say, Windex) and a cloth, or kleenex.

If it's an AMD CPU with pins, use alcohol or window cleaner and a fine toothbrush to carefully remove most of it.

In both case, if you use a cleaner, be sure to rinse it off with water after you clean it to remove any residue.

There's not much need to get overly concerned about it. Most thermal compound is non-conductive - check the package - so small amounts left on the lands (Intel) or pins (AMD) won't matter as long as it doesn't impede electrical contact.

Residue from a Kleenex or paper towel is also non-conductive, so you just have to make sure there's no fibres interfering with the electrical connections.

Water won't bother the CPU as long as it's dry when you install it.

i5 6600k 

On 5/28/2016 at 0:37 AM, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Having 30%  water in it means that it will take a little longer to evaporate compared to rubbing alcohol with 10%...Nothing harmful though if you hate waiting, get 99 percent rubbing alocohol 

99% is overkill and overpriced. The highest you can get with distillation ~95% and nobody uses 100% (except labs/certain industries, we use 100% ethanol and isopropanol for nucleic acid precipitation, but that's like $50/200mL). 100% ethanol is highly taxed (since it's not denatured), and expensive as it needs additional steps to purify beyond 95%. Just use 90+% isopropanol (or 70+ if you cant find 90) from any store. Water doesn't hurt electronics that are turned off, only if you turn them on before completely drying. 90% will dry in a few seconds.

19 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

It doesn't HAVE to be isopropyl, any high %, residue-free, non-corrosive solvent will work fine. You can use ethanol (be careful, it depends what they use to denature, if it's methanol than you're fine), isopropanol, or methanol. It's just that isopropanol is cheap, works well, and is easy to use.

Here's a good guide to use for solvent reactivity. Just avoid anything that reacts with copper, aluminum, steel, silicon, and rubber/plastics if you touch something with shielding (wires or plastic covers/components). Like I said, just stick with isopropyl or ethyl alcohol since those will never cause a problem.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.