Nvidia VP says it like it is.

Nvidia VP: “There’s no way a 200-watt Xbox is going to beat a 1,000-watt PC

Nvidia is suddenly all over the news this week, announcing that it’s working with the new SteamOS and boasting about how much more powerful PCs are than consoles. Given that Nvidia was skipped over for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, it’s understandable that it wants PC gamers to know it loves us very, very much.

In an interview with PC Power Play, Nvidia’s senior vice president of technology Tony Tamasi said that PCs will, again, leave the consoles behind. “By the time of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, the consoles were on par with the PC,” he said. “If you look inside those boxes, they’re both powered by graphics technology by AMD or NVIDIA, because by that time all the graphics innovation was being done by PC graphics companies.”

Of course, he would say that, wouldn’t he? That doesn’t mean he’s wrong, though: if the next console cycle is anywhere near as long-lived as the last one, console gamers in 2020 will be playing on small, power-starved PCs almost a decade after the rest of us have upgraded.

“The consoles have power budgets of only 200 or 300 Watts, so they can put them in the living room, using small fans for cooling, yet run quietly and cool,” Tamasi said. “And that’s always going to be less capable than a PC, where we spend 250W just on the GPU. There’s no way a 200W Xbox is going to be beat a 1000W PC.”

Nvidia is partnering with Valve on the new SteamOS by opening up its drivers to Linux—something independence-minded gamers have been asking about for ages. In a blog post on its website, Nvidia writes that “engineers from Valve and NVIDIA have spent a lot of time collaborating on a common goal for SteamOS: to deliver an open-platform gaming experience with superior performance and uncompromising visuals directly on the big screen.”

Check out the full interview at PC Power Play and read up on all our coverage of the new SteamOS.

Okay I just had to post this. Finally someone from the higher ups shed some light on the subject.

As always thanks for reading and have a good day.

P.S. THIS IS MY 100th post. I guess I was suppose to say that...I don't know.

The new consoles will be as outdated as current consoles are to PC's right now within 2 year.

In fact, they are already outdated by quite a large amount.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

If you ask me, the new consoles are already outdated. 

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

What I rarely remember sometimes is that although pc hardware leaps ahead of consoles, most pc gamers play on outdated hardware. The majority of the gamer community is not like us here on LTT. So relevancy of the new may be more obscure than I tend to remind myself.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

This guy is still crying about Next-Gen consoles. If it was an Nvidia GPU they would say that is a revolution in graphics but because the Next-Gen GPU is AMD based he says things like this. Captain Obvious needs to go back to hiding or at least back to work.

The new consoles will be as outdated as current consoles are to PC's right now within 2 year.

2 years, I would give one

P.S. THIS IS MY 100th post. I guess I was suppose to say that...I don't know.

Congratulations! Keep 'em coming! :D

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

What an awesome dude. 

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Nice Yoda like tag for the topic

Sure he is trying to get hype for Nvidia currently before the new console are released but I'm sure we can all agree he is perfectly correct in what he's saying. If consoles are having trouble running 1080p natively for a majority of the games currently than where are we going to be in 8 years when 4k becomes a standard and 25%+ of the market has those high resolution displays.

While it might be common sense for PC gamers in just how far behind the consoles are most people don't understand just how large the difference is at this time. Not even talking about in 6+ years when video cards are 3-4 times more powerful than what we have now.

Even is Mantle is as powerful as they say it is not every game is going to adapt that technology it is going to be a small market and the XB1 is still going to use DX11.x

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

If your PC is consuming 1000w, then you're doing it wrong(unless you've got a 7990 or multiple GPU's).

A plain old Titan and a quad core CPU wouldn't pull more than 500w.

Nvidias love for us is proportional to the availability of shadowplay.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Nvidias love for us is proportional to the availability of shadowplay.

Shadowplay is not currently available to the public.  This would imply a numeric value of 0.  Now, if nVidia has love in proportion (or as a scale of) the value of 0, this would imply that nVidia would have no love for us....

oh wait........

2 years, I would give one

...day

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

There is no need of consoles when we have PCs already. Consoles should die!

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

This guy is still crying about Next-Gen consoles. If it was an Nvidia GPU they would say that is a revolution in graphics but because the Next-Gen GPU is AMD based he says things like this. Captain Obvious needs to go back to hiding or at least back to work.

Nvidia has made it clear a long time ago that they didn't really want to take part in the consoles, thus the "if it was nvidia" argument is highly fictional. I find it funny how some focuses on the brands rather than the message. This guy has simply stated what PC gamer and these forums has known all along.

Nvidia has made it clear a long time ago that they didn't really want to take part in the consoles, thus the "if it was nvidia" argument is highly fictional. I find it funny how some focuses on the brands rather than the message. This guy has simply stated what PC gamer and these forums has known all along.

I say they are lying. Why would they ignore an easy way to make millions on providing some graphical power to next-gen consoles. A lot of people know he would not compare next-gen to PC all of the time. If he did he would say that the graphical power is close to a high end PC or something like that.

He has been saying the same thing since E3. I don't know why he won't stop talking about it. He looks butthurt, for Next-Gen going the cheaper route with AMD, even though he is telling truth.

I say they are lying. Why would they ignore an easy way to make millions on providing some graphical power to next-gen consoles. A lot of people know he would not compare next-gen to PC all of the time. If he did he would say that the graphical power is close to a high end PC or something like that.

He has been saying the same thing since E3. I don't know why he won't stop talking about it. He looks butthurt, for Next-Gen going the cheaper route with AMD, even though he is telling truth.

They would have made some money on the deal, but probably not as much as you might think, and probably not as much as they have done allocating their resources the way they have.

I'm tired of this "war" between console and PC. There is no war, its like a butterfly battling a hurricane, there is no contest.

When PS3 and Xbox 360 decided to cheap out and not future proof their machines they laid the groundwork for their demise. And like Tony Tamasi himself says, they dont invest how can they compete? They will be in the foreground, they will trail in our coat tails and like the untrained, undisciplined and uninterested, always be full of bravado with nothing to back it up. Consoles may not die but there is and never will be a contest.

Oh and PS:

If they ever bother to try and compete with PC properly they will be just prefabricated, cheap PC's.

Oh and before anyone bothers to say that this is what they are now, wrong, they are overpowered smart phones. mark my words in 2-3 years phones will have as much power as they have now

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

They were outdated before even being released to market, let alone 2 years from now lol.

I personally wished consoles went back to being a stylized gaming platform first and stop pretending it's a PC, seriously. This is why I prefer Nintendo when it involves consoles.

The new consoles were obsolete a year before they were announced tbh.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

They were outdated before even being released to market, let alone 2 years from now lol.

I personally wished consoles went back to being a stylized gaming platform first and stop pretending it's a PC, seriously. This is why I prefer Nintendo when it involves consoles.

The new consoles were obsolete a year before they were announced tbh.

Ofc, but I meant they will be as outdated as current consoles are RIGHT NOW to PC's in about 2 years time.

Sure they are outdated already but not as much as from current consoles to pc's

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B