How bad did I screw up?

OnionRings

So im building my first build soon, and I know you should NEVER EVER cut corners, but I sorta did but also sorta didn't. Im watching alot of build guides trying to make sure im comfortable with doing this build and everyone keeps saying DON'T GO CHEAP ON THE PSU. Well I sort of did... I got a CX430, now when I put the build together a lot of you told me it was a bad choice or not really bad but there were better options, that's clearly obvious being its only 80+ bronze and only 430w but what I want to know is WILL it be ok until I can get another? I only plan to use it to run an i5 6500 NOT overclocked no gpu with stock cpu cooler and case fans but the heaviest thing I can see my pc doing right now will be video editing in 1080P and possibly streaming (if an i5 can handle that without a gpu's help) so will I be ok?

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

2 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

So im building my first build soon, and I know you should NEVER EVER cut corners, but I sorta did but also sorta didn't. Im watching alot of build guides trying to make sure im comfortable with doing this build and everyone keeps saying DON'T GO CHEAP ON THE PSU. Well I sort of did... I got a CX430, now when I put the build together a lot of you told me it was a bad choice or not really bad but there were better options, that's clearly obvious being its only 80+ bronze and only 430w but what I want to know is WILL it be ok until I can get another? I only plan to use it to run an i5 6500 NOT overclocked no gpu with stock cpu cooler and case fans but the heaviest thing I can see my pc doing right now will be video editing in 1080P and possibly streaming (if an i5 can handle that without a gpu's help) so will I be ok?

Just the i5? No GPU?

Just now, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Yeah you are fine 

I hope so, I mean I got the PSU through PCPP and it had modest reviews, one guy said " Hasn't exploded " real relief right lol?

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

1 minute ago, OnionRings said:

I hope so, I mean I got the PSU through PCPP and it had modest reviews, one guy said " Hasn't exploded " real relief right lol?

It shouldn't explode until you put a gpu in it xD

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Just the i5? No GPU?

Not yet no, I had to go budget first, I plan on more upgrades down the road. Here's the build right now > http://pcpartpicker.com/user/OnionRings/saved/d7Zscf

I plan on mainly using it as a work station for my elgato HD60 since my laptop wasn't strong enough, will be streaming and light gaming on it, and down the road when funds are available I want to add more stuff.

CPU

Not yet no, I had to go budget first, I plan on more upgrades down the road. Here's the build right now > http://pcpartpicker.com/user/OnionRings/saved/d7Zscf

I plan on mainly using it as a work station for my elgato HD60 since my laptop wasn't strong enough, will be streaming and light gaming on it, and down the road when funds are available I want to add more stuff.

Have you bought anything yet?

Have you bought anything yet?

Yes It's all here except the ram and keyboard.

CPU

Just now, OnionRings said:

Yes It's all here except the ram and keyboard.

You´ll be fine if you just use the CPU.

4 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Just FYI 80 Plus Bronze doesn't really mean alot. My PSU is only 80 Plus and it's been doing it's job fine for the last 5 years and I expect it to do fine for another 5 at least. This certificate isn't really a measurement for quality only for efficiency.

And you'll be completely fine with that PSU and no graphics card.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

Just now, OnionRings said:

Sorry, but where is your motherboard.

I don't think it's likely that you have a z170 laying around.

Forgot it?

May the force be with you - Yoda

7 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

it will be totally fine its 80+ rated

the psu's you need to worry about are ones that dont even have an 80+ rating

You´ll be fine if you just use the CPU.

Right ok thanks, it wasn't the watt capacity I was worried about im just worried about it dying and frying all my parts.

CPU

You're fine. The CX PSU's aren't great, but they'll do the job. People who are putting it on the same level as a 15$ ebay supply are morons.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Streaming? On an i5 with no GPU? Good luck, if you're trying to stream a game, you'd be lucky to get 720p 30 FPS

In terms of the PSU, I'd return it. Sure, it will work for a while, especially without a GPU, but 430 W really limits you in GPU choices and the CX series temp tolerance makes a discrete GPU even more risky

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Streaming? On an i5 with no GPU? Good luck, if you're trying to stream a game, you'd be lucky to get 720p 30 FPS

In terms of the PSU, I'd return it. Sure, it will work for a while, especially without a GPU, but 430 W really limits you in GPU choices and the CX series temp tolerance makes a discrete GPU even more risky

Yea but when I get a GPU I'll be replacing the PSU as well. I COULD return it now its still boxed up but I really don't wanna wait on shipping again and all that. If it works for now then I'm happy, I just don't want it to explode on me. And as for the streaming goes It'll be through an Elgato HD 60 which handles most of the work you just need a decent cpu to handle the software and OBS and all that crap.

CPU

3 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Right ok thanks, it wasn't the watt capacity I was worried about im just worried about it dying and frying all my parts.

If that was what would generally be happening with those PSUs I guess Corsair would've taken them off the market long time ago. :D

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

You are fine dude. I've been running a power hungry Core2 Quad OC'ed and an R9 270 with a Chinese not even Bronze Rated PSU and it is fine. It may be better to use a more reliant PSU in terms of performance and efficiency but as long as you don't submit it to extreme conditions you should be fine

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

Ok, I appreciate the calming words and re-assuring. I'm a nervous wreck getting ready to build this crap. But I know it will all be worth it.

CPU

Not got the best PSU in mine, especially for my GPU.  So long as it manages another 12months I'm fine. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Oh boy someone earlier asked about the mobo, I must not have noticed it missing from PCPP, I used the H110M-A by Ultra durable or something like that. It didn't have any reviews on it but nobody said not to use it when I showed off my final build a few weeks ago.

CPU

REVIEW

Edited by Godlygamer23
Clean up.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Oh yea I also wanted to ask while on the topic of PSU's, mounting them in, fan down or up? I'll be sitting it on a little night stand thingy next to my desk cus my desk isn't big enough for it, Jayztwocents recommends putting them drawing air from inside the case to make sure it gets the right air, especially with a front fan drawing air in, but depending on the case the cables from the PSU might not reach, if they do reach should I go with it drawing from within the case? Despite having a dust filter on the bottom?

CPU

Oh yea I also wanted to ask while on the topic of PSU's, mounting them in, fan down or up? I'll be sitting it on a little night stand thingy next to my desk cus my desk isn't big enough for it, Jayztwocents recommends putting them drawing air from inside the case to make sure it gets the right air, especially with a front fan drawing air in, but depending on the case the cables from the PSU might not reach, if they do reach should I go with it drawing from within the case? Despite having a dust filter on the bottom?

Does the case have an opening for the PSU fan? If so, point the fan at that. If not, point it into the case.