CPU Hydro Cooler vs CPU Air cooler

Dilusha

Howdy Folks! :) I've planned to build a rig in upcoming months. Which will be used for both gaming and my work(3D animation/Vfx). Computer parts and generally electronics are very expensive in my country, Sri Lanka. Pretty much like in Australia. xD

X99 would have been perfect, but the price is quite high. So for now, I'll have to go with an i5 6600k and possibly a Polaris GPU, until I make some money on my own to upgrade to X99. My dad gives the money, so I won't make the budget too steep. I guess I'll be overclocking too. 

And I don't really know how to choose a CPU cooler for this. So tell me my expert friends, should I use a hydro cooler like dual/single radiators from Corsair? Or air coolers like Cryorig H7? :)

huge air coolers are the way to go tbh, they are silent, cool and cheap. i have a be quiet shadow rock 2 and its just awesome, i NEVER hear it, not even under full load :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Which you should use really depends on your budget. 

If you have the budget for something like an NZXT Kraken x61, then go for an AIO. If you could only afford a single 120/140mm rad, then go for an air cooler. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Which you should use really depends on your budget. 

If you have the budget for something like an NZXT Kraken x61, then go for an AIO. If you could only afford a single 120/140mm rad, then go for an air cooler. 

But, is a single radiator or an air cooler capable of cooling an overclocked cpu? 

Just now, Dilusha said:

But, is a single radiator or an air cooler capable of cooling an overclocked cpu? 

Yes, but it will depend on the size of the cooler. In general, air coolers that are the same price as a 120mm AIOs will perform better than the AIO. 

You also have the option for insane air coolers like the Noctua NH-D15 and bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, both of which perform close to a 240mm AIO, as well as normally being quieter and having less points of failure. 

14 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes, but it will depend on the size of the cooler. In general, air coolers that are the same price as a 120mm AIOs will perform better than the AIO. 

You also have the option for insane air coolers like the Noctua NH-D15 and bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, both of which perform close to a 240mm AIO, as well as normally being quieter and having less points of failure. 

But won't a cheaper air cooler like Cryorig H7 perform better than a 120mm AIO? 

6 minutes ago, Dilusha said:

But won't a cheaper air cooler like Cryorig H7 perform better than a 120mm AIO? 

Yes, it will outperform 120mm AIOs. 

46 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes, it will outperform 120mm AIOs. 

If you know, could you please recommend me some good air coolers like Cryorig H7 around that price range? 

4 minutes ago, Dilusha said:

If you know, could you please recommend me some good air coolers like Cryorig H7 around that price range? 

Prices vary quite a bit from country to county. How much is it where you are, so I have a base to go off?

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Prices vary quite a bit from country to county. How much is it where you are, so I have a base to go off?

Lets say like under 50 US dollars?

3 minutes ago, Dilusha said:

Lets say like under 50 US dollars?

For that price, you have options like:

Phanteks PH-TC12DX

be quiet! Shadow Rock 2

Out of those and the H7, I would go for the Shadow Rock 2. 

14 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

For that price, you have options like:

Phanteks PH-TC12DX

be quiet! Shadow Rock 2

Out of those and the H7, I would go for the Shadow Rock 2. 

What about Cooler Master's ones? Like hyper D92? 

1 minute ago, Dilusha said:

But in that graph, doesn't shadow rock 2's temp rises more than D92 when overclocked?

Interesting on that. The D92 is out performing a Dark Rock Pro 3, which it definitely shouldn't I wouldn't rely on that graph. 

Based on other results, the D92 and Shadow Rock 2 seem about even. 

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2771&page=5

Let's pause our talk for now, I have to sleep now. xD

6 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Interesting on that. The D92 is out performing a Dark Rock Pro 3, which it definitely shouldn't I wouldn't rely on that graph. 

I'm sorry, but I can't understand what's in that article.:P Can you tell me what it is?

19 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

What about the hyper 612 V2? Its a bit more expensive than D92, is it better than D92?

4 minutes ago, Dilusha said:

What about the hyper 612 V2? Its a bit more expensive than D92, is it better than D92?

The Hyper 612 v.2 is good. A bit better than the D92, a bit worse than a Dark Rock 3 (not the Pro)

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The Hyper 612 v.2 is good. A bit better than the D92, a bit worse than a Dark Rock 3 (not the Pro)

Is a Cryorig H5 ultimate or H5 universal better than H7? 

Are these cheaper coolers like H7, H5 universal, H5 ultimate, Shadow rock 2 capable of giving 4.8GHz on an i7 6700k? 

the CM 212 is budget friendly and functional, but if you're looking for high overclocks or get high ambient temps I'd invest in a big air cooler, they perform withing a few degrees of the high end AIO coolers so you can OC just fine with them. The above mentioned noctua nh-d15 and bequiets dark rock pro 3 are among the kings of air cooling if you have room for them

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W