ETEKNIX: Apple Music is Stealing Users’ Songs

thekeemo

I've been using iTunes to rip CD's and play music on my PC since I stupidly delved into the smartphone world with an iPhone 3GS (I upgraded to Android as soon as my contract was up). I've never noticed a problem even when copying music from home to work. Maybe it's because I don't actually sign in using my Apple ID anymore and do everything (including Album Art) manually. I've currently got my music library on a 2TB NAS allowing me to wirelessly transfer my library onto my Sony Xperia Z5 Compact whenever I want to change the music I have on my phone. Honestly, while I'm concerned by this news I'll keep using iTunes until they force me to use their online services, then I'll swap. It seems much of it is down to user error; keep everything offline and never agree to put anything in the cloud and you're good to go.

1 hour ago, Daiyus said:

I've been using iTunes to rip CD's and play music on my PC since I stupidly delved into the smartphone world with an iPhone 3GS (I upgraded to Android as soon as my contract was up). I've never noticed a problem even when copying music from home to work. Maybe it's because I don't actually sign in using my Apple ID anymore and do everything (including Album Art) manually. I've currently got my music library on a 2TB NAS allowing me to wirelessly transfer my library onto my Sony Xperia Z5 Compact whenever I want to change the music I have on my phone. Honestly, while I'm concerned by this news I'll keep using iTunes until they force me to use their online services, then I'll swap. It seems much of it is down to user error; keep everything offline and never agree to put anything in the cloud and you're good to go.

It's only a problem if you subscribe to Apple Music, they're streaming service

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

It's only a problem if you subscribe to Apple Music, they're streaming service

Nice to know I'm 100% safe then. Sometimes having a slightly outdated approach to things can be a saving grace. This is why I still buy all my music on CD's and rip them myself and then manage those files myself. I even get Blu-Ray movies for my favourite films and TV series despite them being on Netflix or Amazon Prime; there's no guarantee they'll be there in five years when I want to watch it again, my Blu-Ray will stay exactly where I put it though (assuming my daughter doesn't pick the lock to my cabinet, hehe). 

I get as many games as I can on disc too, although this is starting to become redundant as many games these days give you one disc and force you to download the rest anyway so it's just me being stuck in my ways and wanting to hold a physical product. You don't even get manuals to read anymore!

Apple should not make an option available that deletes the original copy of your files on your computer. There is value-added in this service (i.e. scanning the songs and attempting to pair it with the equivalent in Apple Music), but there is NO need to delete the file afterwards.

And it doesn't matter if the option is disabled by default, people are either (a) not going to read; (b) are not going to understand what the function does; (c) make a mistake and click it by accident; and (d) most people don't back up their files.

Then again, I suppose they want to lock you in to paying for the service. If all your local files are gone, and you will lose access to your music collection if you unsub then you will be less likely to leave :S

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

6 minutes ago, Daiyus said:

Nice to know I'm 100% safe then. Sometimes having a slightly outdated approach to things can be a saving grace. This is why I buy all my music on CD's and rip them myself and then manage those files myself. I even get Blu-Ray movies for my favourite films and TV series despite them being on Netflix or Amazon Prime; there's no guarantee they'll be there in five years when I want to watch it again, my Blu-Ray will stay exactly where I put it though (assuming my daughter doesn't pick the lock to my cabinet, hehe). 

I get as many games as I can on disc too, although this is starting to become redundant as many games these days give you one disc and force you to download the rest anyway so it's just me being stuck in my ways and wanting to hold a physical product. You don't even get manuals to read anymore!

i will never understand why the dislikes on disc medium, it so nice to have and to look at

20160511_145229_HDR.jpg

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

13 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

i will never understand why the dislikes on disc medium, it so nice to have and to look at

20160511_145229_HDR.jpg

Damn that's impressive. My collection is nowhere near as tidy as that yet. Still got a lot of work to do on my new house before I can properly display everything.

I also don't understand how people can want PC's, particularly HTPC's, that don't have any form of disc drive. 90% of new HTPC builds I see use the Fractal Design Node 202, which is a lovely case, but when I was looking around for a new HTPC case it was struck straight off the list due to no disc drive support. I settled on a Silverstone FTZ01 in the end.

Seriously, does nobody play classic games anymore that aren't available through Steam/Origin/Uplay etc? Do people really rely on Netflix and other streaming services to have what they want? It's so illogical to me; if I have a disc nobody can stop me viewing the data that's on that disc remotely, it's mine. It also means if my ISP drops for whatever reason I can still use all my media.

2 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Wait, wait, wait... They can take something from you and make you paying to get it (or an altered version) again?!? That's basicly haw kidnapping works.

Every other company would have been destroyed for dooing such stuff. Apple HW: overpriced but very good, apple SW: just the worst.

Kidnapping is more living things. This is more like blackmail.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

36 minutes ago, Daiyus said:

Damn that's impressive. My collection is nowhere near as tidy as that yet. Still got a lot of work to do on my new house before I can properly display everything.

I also don't understand how people can want PC's, particularly HTPC's, that don't have any form of disc drive. 90% of new HTPC builds I see use the Fractal Design Node 202, which is a lovely case, but when I was looking around for a new HTPC case it was struck straight off the list due to no disc drive support. I settled on a Silverstone FTZ01 in the end.

Seriously, does nobody play classic games anymore that aren't available through Steam/Origin/Uplay etc? Do people really rely on Netflix and other streaming services to have what they want? It's so illogical to me; if I have a disc nobody can stop me viewing the data that's on that disc remotely, it's mine. It also means if my ISP drops for whatever reason I can still use all my media.

I ripped all my classic games so I don't need a slow and loud disc drive.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

I ripped all my classic games so I don't need a slow and loud disc drive.

Fair enough. I must be a right oddball in that I actually enjoy putting my old discs in and installing them. The classic feel of watching the installer with screenshots instead of the download bar I get with my newer games. I like handling the cases and flicking through the manuals while they install. Even the whir of the disc drive makes me smile.

Wow. I really am weird. Did I mention I've never owned a Kindle and will never own a digital book as long as printing presses still put out real books?. 

6 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Kidnapping is more living things. This is more like blackmail.

Agree, as a native Swiss german speaker I sometimes just miss the most appropriate term ;)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

1 minute ago, Daiyus said:

Fair enough. I must be a right oddball in that I actually enjoy putting my old discs in and installing them. The classic feel of watching the installer with screenshots instead of the download bar I get with my newer games. I like handling the cases and flicking through the manuals while they install. Even the whir of the disc drive makes me smile.

Wow. I really am weird. Did I mention I've never owned a Kindle and will never own a digital book as long as printing presses still put out real books?. 

I really would like to be able to have physical disks again but its just not logical since they are tied to steam origin or uplay anyway meaning I can't resell them which is the benefit of physical.

1 minute ago, Stefan1024 said:

Agree, as a native Swiss german speaker I sometimes just miss the most appropriate term ;)

Better than me who is bad at all the languages I know.

Just now, thekeemo said:

I really would like to be able to have physical disks again but its just not logical since they are tied to steam origin or uplay anyway meaning I can't resell them which is the benefit of physical.

It certainly used to be. I just get more satisfaction from physical copies still. I know any physical copy of a game I buy these days is made redundant the moment I install it. I just like having the cases on my bookshelf. There will be a day where I won't be able to source physical copies; in fact I already have two or three games in my collection only available digitally. I just don't find clicking "Buy" on a screen as satisfying as peeling off the cellophane and the smell of new plastic and paper.

Like I said. I'm weird. 

1 minute ago, Daiyus said:

It certainly used to be. I just get more satisfaction from physical copies still. I know any physical copy of a game I buy these days is made redundant the moment I install it. I just like having the cases on my bookshelf. There will be a day where I won't be able to source physical copies; in fact I already have two or three games in my collection only available digitally. I just don't find clicking "Buy" on a screen as satisfying as peeling off the cellophane and the smell of new plastic and paper.

Like I said. I'm weird. 

I wouldn't say so. Different people collect different things. I do not like clutter so I don't collect (well that and that it becomes expensive)

10 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

I wouldn't say so. Different people collect different things. I do not like clutter so I don't collect (well that and that it becomes expensive)

It definitely can be that. I actually resigned myself to buying The Elder Scrolls Battlespire/Redguard on GOG as buying a boxed copy these days costs a stupid amount of money, if you can source one at all. Damn only being 7/8 when they came out and not even owning any kind of gaming platform.

That said sometimes I get really good deals on new games. I can often find a retail version of a new release on Amazon £5-£10 cheaper than Steam/Origin/Uplay. They also drop in price quicker too whereas digital stores keep the prices at RRP. As long as I buy a game within 3-5 years of release it doesn't work out that bad. 

Sometimes if there's a really good deal on Steam (like the Star Wars one last week) I'll buy a digital copy and then grab a physical copy at a car boot for 50p. I do tend to re-buy digital versions of older games I own physically too. Some allow you to unlock the digital version with the CD code, but others don't. There are benefits to both approaches that I'll take advantage of depending on the situation.

I'll also re-buy games I have on Steam/Origin/Uplay on GOG when I have spare cash too. It's nice to have completely DRM-free copies of a digital product.

14 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Better than me who is bad at all the languages I know.

Haha yes, the moment I realized I can speak more programming languages to talk with machines than with humans was quite strange

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

5 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Haha yes, the moment I realized I can speak more programming languages to talk with machines than with humans was quite strange

Include programming languages in my previous statement. I believe the term is hansdampf in allen gassen 

I love Apple Music but this is new low, even lower than you have to pay for Apple Music to listen on the radio, which is dumb.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

This is class action lawsuit material: No matter what the Eula says it cannot supersede your basic ownership rights and destroy your property. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

33 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

This is class action lawsuit material: No matter what the Eula says it cannot supersede your basic ownership rights and destroy your property. 

Class actions hell no one but lawyers.

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

20160511_145229_HDR.jpg

You should see my dads

his is *HUGE*

ill edit it later when I have a picture

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Kinda pf similar thign happened to me. When Music launched it decided to delet alll the local music files off of my ipad and I had to re-download all of them. This is the worst interpretation of steve jobs's 'the customer doesnt know what it wants.'

- snip-

1 hour ago, thekeemo said:

Class actions hell no one but lawyers.

Sometimes is not about helping consumers, in the long run, making and example by hurting Apple helps even more. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Apple music pisses me off so  much. I can't download music I've already paid for through itunes, i have to pay more money to be able to listen to them. They better not touch the stuff I have downloaded, but I think that's going to be the case soon.

i have never had this problem and i use apple music all the time

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

We'll Apple does want to make the lives of people supposedly 'confusing-free' but didn't say how much it'll damage/bother those with techie backgrounds.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero