There'd something fishy (1080-70)

behappyftw

I was thinking lately and figured that i dont understand how nvidia spent billions of dollars working in this technology, comes with a top of the line product, yet sells it at such low price. With the tier, they coud sell it well over 700$. Plus when would they get their money back and actually make profit? With billions onninvestement they would need to sell 1million 599$ gpus. I might and probably am wrong but i would like to hear your opinions.

They more Nvidia users, the better for them.

Have to make it enticing to join the party....

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Because they make the big money off their Quadro cards. Linus has mentioned this in a Techquickie video I think

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Gaming gpu's isnt their only source of income. If anything its one of the smaller sources of income.

They want a larger install base, and to do that, they need to give a compelling reason to upgrade to their newer gpus, and they can only do that by increasing the price/perf with each gen. Yea they could sell it for much more, and retain the same price/perf, but then not many people would buy them...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I think they sell a lot more than 1 million GPUs or 300-500 dollar products per generation cycle.

At a higher price point, the profit per unit sold is higher but total profit may be lower due to reduced sales volume.

Also bear in mind they use consumer cards to drive volume, amortizing R&D investments and introducing economies of scale, with the enterprise products being much more expensive and profitable per unit.

Also, who are we to determine how Nvidia prices their stuff :)

Im fairly sure Nvidia has a solid idea of how to go about these things.

lets all hope we can enjoy a good solid GPU out of Pascal for a good price :) 

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

Sure Nvidia can sell their cards $3000 a piece. But how many gamers can afford them?

But even if they make their money with other things other than gpus, the investement of the billion dollars was used on gpu technology. So it woyld be independent of where they get their money, unless they are allocating profit from other area to gpu which usually do not happend

Well 1 milion cards isn't that much realy.

You know how many gamers are there in this world? Well I don't know exactly, but I think they shouldn't have any problems with selling tons of those cards.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

51 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Well 1 milion cards isn't that much realy.

You know how many gamers are there in this world? Well I don't know exactly, but I think they shouldn't have any problems with selling tons of those cards.

Errrm, NVidia spends $1 on research and development and comes out with a new desktop card that they are selling for $0.10. They do not have to sell 10 desktop cards to break even. Why? Because that same technology they developed also went into data center cards that they are selling for $10 each.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

Keep in mind that Nvidia plans to stay in the retail space this time around. That is the entire point of the Founder's Edition cards. Board partners get a cheaper price so they can mark up their own version but Nvidia is going to keep selling the Founder's Edition cards which is new for them. Check out Jay's new video.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

31 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

Keep in mind that Nvidia plans to stay in the retail space this time around. That is the entire point of the Founder's Edition cards. Board partners get a cheaper price so they can mark up their own version but Nvidia is going to keep selling the Founder's Edition cards which is new for them. Check out Jay's new video.

That's ironic.

They want this card to be in retail for some time, but they increase price of it. ASUS, Sapphire, EVGA and others will do custom OC + better cooling and it will be cheaper.

If they wanted this card to stay in retail, they should make lower price than other companies. Buy founder edition card for 320$ directly from nvidia, or pay 350$ for AUS/EVGA etc. editions. That would make kinda sence, because users that can't afford to spend much, would just buy that founder for lower price and performance + cooling would be still great.

I guess that price is just because of design, but to be honest it's not that good looking. But that's just personal opinion.

I wonder when I will be able to order this card from Mindfactory or Alzashop in EU, and at what price xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

That's ironic.

They want this card to be in retail for some time, but they increase price of it. ASUS, Sapphire, EVGA and others will do custom OC + better cooling and it will be cheaper.

If they wanted this card to stay in retail, they should make lower price than other companies. Buy founder edition card for 320$ directly from nvidia, or pay 350$ for AUS/EVGA etc. editions. That would make kinda sence, because users that can't afford to spend much, would just buy that founder for lower price and performance + cooling would be still great.

I guess that price is just because of design, but to be honest it's not that good looking. But that's just personal opinion.

I wonder when I will be able to order this card from Mindfactory or Alzashop in EU, and at what price xD 

They don't want to compete, they just want to sell their own. The board partners will likely be more expensive than the Founder's Edition for their custom coolers (not by much though). Also, like Jay said, blower style coolers have their place.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    

8 hours ago, behappyftw said:

I was thinking lately and figured that i dont understand how nvidia spent billions of dollars working in this technology, comes with a top of the line product, yet sells it at such low price. With the tier, they coud sell it well over 700$. Plus when would they get their money back and actually make profit? With billions onninvestement they would need to sell 1million 599$ gpus. I might and probably am wrong but i would like to hear your opinions.

This is where their marketing department researches demands and supply and match them to arrive to the best selling price.

Better price something $10ea and have 10,000 people interested than price them $50 and sell to 1000 people. Economics 101 really.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

10 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

They don't want to compete, they just want to sell their own. The board partners will likely be more expensive than the Founder's Edition for their custom coolers (not by much though). Also, like Jay said, blower style coolers have their place.

If 1070 will be able to OC to at least 2000MHz on core, I will just buy cheapest one.

It will still run under 70°C which is nice.

And to be honest, I don't think any of those cards can be pushed far more than 2100MHz.

WD My Cloud 4TB

If 1070 will be able to OC to at least 2000MHz on core, I will just buy cheapest one.

And to be honest, I don't think any of those cards can be pushed far more than 2100MHz.

Actually the overclock they threw on at the Nvidia event was supposedly done just a few minutes before the event and they didn't even do any testing, just grabbed a card, slapped it into the case, and tried a couple OC settings.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yeah we're really not sure. Nvidia's card definitely wasn't thermal throttling, which means GPU boost should be going all out. I'm sure some variants will go higher, like the hybrids and what not but I wouldn't expect anything too crazy.

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Actually the overclock they threw on at the Nvidia event was supposedly done just a few minutes before the event and they didn't even do any testing, just grabbed a card, slapped it into the case, and tried a couple OC settings.

That's true, but to make any real difference they would have to push from 2100 MHz to like 2300. That's like 40% OC so I don't think that will be possible.

I would be just fine with stable 2000-2100MHz core clock <3 

WD My Cloud 4TB

It's the value cards that helps them make the most money not your GTX 1080 or GTX 1070.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

You also need to keep in mind the GTX 1080 and 1070 are GP104.  The majority of NVIDIA's R&D budget went into designing GP100 (with HBM2) which general consumers will probably never see according to their previous statements.  That chip has been reserved for supercomputing markets focused on machine learning and other research and due to the high demand for the fastest processors possible in that market and the prices people are willing to pay for it, NVIDIA will make up their R&D investment quite quickly.

GP104, compared to GP100 was relatively cheap for NVIDIA to R&D.  It's basically a spinoff of GP100 and has a much smaller die meaning yields are higher and also chips per wafer are higher driving down individual cost.  Considering all that, there's no real reason to be surprised at the "cheap" MSRP's of GP104.

The reason GP100 will probably never see the consumer market is because the cost per chip would be prohibitively high to consumers and would not be worth NVIDIA's time and money to recoup costs for the development of that chip by selling it to general consumers.

Clevo p377sm-a | 3.9ghz i7 4800mq | SLI GTX 970m 6gb, 1236mhz core, 1404mhz mem | 24gb DDR3 | No BGA crap found here

1080 and 1070 are Nvidias midrange cards being sold at high end prices. They've been doing this for 3 generations now because they've managed to get good performance out of them.

The make a huge profit on these cards.

The real high end Pascal will have HBM as pointed out above.

Linus is my fetish.

Lets just say won't be a $599 card for few months after launch because every card is a founders edition good scheme once supply and demand lowers and AMD releases the Polaris 10 cards supposed to be this summer nvidia gets the free price drop to compete with AMD new cards.