(mini news) Most beutiful console game yet

Prysin
8 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

I also want to mention - in TR 2016, the PS4 beat their i3+750 Ti system.

That sounds really underwhelming. When we have to celebrate that the king of the current gen consoles was able to beat a fairly low "gaming" PC. To be fair 750Ti was a somewhat mid range card when PS4 was released. Anyway, Neo can't come soon enough. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 hours ago, Prysin said:

@djdwosk97, @Dabombinable, @Notional, @Trik'Stari, @ivan134, @Bouzoo, @don_svetlio
ZcxIrf4.jpg

Guess who is going to have fun this week/weekend.

If anyone want to watch, ill see if i can find a cheap/used capture card so i can stream without shafting my framerate (PS4 streaming isnt always that great)

let me borrow your ps4 for like two weeks.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

38 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

let me borrow your ps4 for like two weeks.

i got 22 PS3 games and 11 PS4 games in addition to 64 PC games that i havent finished. But i own the disc's/digital copy

so NO. I need to git ma shit together and start gaming again :|

Oh, and i also got like 20-30 Blu Ray movies too

BUT, if you want to, you can watch me play. Ima see if i can get my old twitch account to work again.

https://www.twitch.tv/prysin

@djdwosk97, @Dabombinable, @Notional, @Trik'Stari, @ivan134, @Bouzoo, @don_svetlio

my stream is live now. PS4 is sitting in the menus. Lets see if AMD remembered to include their VCE engine in the PS4 APU

15 minutes ago, Prysin said:

my stream is live now. PS4 is sitting in the menus. Lets see if AMD remembered to include their VCE engine in the PS4 APU

I might one day play it, so I probably shouldn't watch. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

That sounds really underwhelming. When we have to celebrate that the king of the current gen consoles was able to beat a fairly low "gaming" PC. To be fair 750Ti was a somewhat mid range card when PS4 was released. Anyway, Neo can't come soon enough. 

Considering that the CPU+GPU itself for an i3 + 750 Ti combo is $230? I fail to see why you're underwhelmed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2MN-0004-00002&cm_re=i3_skylake-_-2MN-0004-00002-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500349&cm_re=750_ti-_-14-500-349-_-Product

Now add:

Case: $21 for an off brand no-name shitty case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353050

RAM: $18for 4GB of piece of crap cheap RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148856&cm_re=4GB_DDR4-_-20-148-856-_-Product

MB: $74 for a cheap B150 board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157645&cm_re=skylake_motherboard-_-13-157-645-_-Product

PSU: $25 for 400w basic EVGA PSU (Probably not even a good one)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438038&cm_re=400w_psu-_-17-438-038-_-Product

OS: $100 Windows 10 Home 64 Bit (Or free if you want a subpar experience with SteamOS/Linix)

KB+Mouse: $15 basic combo package

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N82853999&cm_re=keyboard_mouse_combo-_-23-126-097-_-Product

So where does that leave us?

$483 USD

Plus shipping and taxes (You'd pay taxes on a PS4 too of course, but shipping, generally not).

Compared to a PS4?

500GB BO3 Bundle - $350

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-500GB-Console-Black-Bundle-4/dp/B018V3ISJ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462896794&sr=8-3&keywords=playstation+4

500GB Uncharted 4 Bundle - $400

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-500GB-Console-Uncharted-Limited-4/dp/B01BEELH52/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1462896794&sr=8-6&keywords=playstation+4

So sure, you could match or undercut the PS4 if you skipped Windows, and either used SteamOS (Subpar experience) or pirated/grey market Windows, neither of which are recommended. But once you pay for Proper Windows, a Console still comes out ahead.

For cheaper than a i3+750 Ti you can get a often better gaming experience, with less hassle, no drivers, no Windows Updates (Yes there are console system updates, but the process is vastly simplified), easy to use as an HTPC too with the controller and watching Netflix or video files. You cannot outright dismiss the consoles yet. Give it another year or two before it comes to that.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You cannot outright dismiss the consoles yet. Give it another year or two before it comes to that.

The prices are a bit different here. Everything put together w/o Win, the PC and a PS4 with 1 controller and w/o a single game turn out the same. Now why underwhelming? Because that is the most powerful console of this generation, until new revisions come out that is, and the current ones came out 2.5 years ago, and they are already struggling with some games. That's why.

I don't hate consoles, I've gamed on them a huge part of my life and I'm gonna get Neo when/if it comes out, but until now, for me personally, this generation has been underwhelming as a whole. Yes the tech is advancing at a huge speed yada yada and you can make a point about devs becoming lazy, graphics advancing really fast as well, and it still shouldn't matter so much. Hell the Last Of Us came out 3 years ago and look how it looked and ran on a 10 year old console. I don't think this rev of PS4 will be able to do that. Not even close. 

I don't dismiss them just yet. 

12 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

The prices are a bit different here. Everything put together w/o Win, the PC and a PS4 with 1 controller and w/o a single game turn out the same. Now why underwhelming? Because that is the most powerful console of this generation, until new revisions come out that is, and the current ones came out 2.5 years ago, and they are already struggling with some games. That's why.

I don't hate consoles, I've gamed on them a huge part of my life and I'm gonna get Neo when/if it comes out, but until now, for me personally, this generation has been underwhelming as a whole. Yes the tech is advancing at a huge speed yada yada and you can make a point about devs becoming lazy, graphics advancing really fast as well, and it still shouldn't matter so much. Hell the Last Of Us came out 3 years ago and look how it looked and ran on a 10 year old console. I don't think this rev of PS4 will be able to do that. Not even close. 

I don't dismiss them just yet. 

You cannot compare the PC to a PS4 without the OS.

Does the PS4 come without an OS? No. It's included in the price. Therefore, you must do a proper objective comparison. Replace the $100 USD cost of Windows 10 Home with whatever the retail price for Windows 10 is in Croatia (Or wherever, locally), but people who make "console killer" build lists that don't include Windows 10, or include G2A/Reddit keys, are not doing a proper comparison.

Will your PS4 deactivate the OS 6 months later because it turns out it was a Dreamspark Student Only key, or was bought with a stolen credit card? No. But that's what people risk by using such sites to buy Windows keys.

Anyway, my point was simply that in North America (USA specifically), a PS4 is between $83-$133 USD cheaper than a comparable PC. And I made some noticeable compromises in that build I threw together, pretty much choosing the cheapest, shittiest components I saw. Oh, and I just realized I didn't even include storage! So add another $50 for a 500GB-1TB HDD.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

12 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Does the PS4 come without an OS? No. It's included in the price. Therefore, you must do a proper objective comparison. Replace the $100 USD cost of Windows 10 Home with whatever the retail price for Windows 10 is in Croatia (Or wherever, locally), but people who make "console killer" build lists that don't include Windows 10, or include G2A/Reddit keys, are not doing a proper comparison.

Will your PS4 deactivate the OS 6 months later because it turns out it was a Dreamspark Student Only key, or was bought with a stolen credit card? No. But that's what people risk by using such sites to buy Windows keys.

Anyway, my point was simply that in North America (USA specifically), a PS4 is between $83-$133 USD cheaper than a comparable PC. And I made some noticeable compromises in that build I threw together, pretty much choosing the cheapest, shittiest components I saw. Oh, and I just realized I didn't even include storage! So add another $50 for a 500GB-1TB HDD.

also mate. the PS4 has 8GB of RAM. sure, it is shared GDDR5. But many games need more then 4GB RAM these days. Especially with windows as OS

23 minutes ago, Prysin said:

also mate. the PS4 has 8GB of RAM. sure, it is shared GDDR5. But many games need more then 4GB RAM these days. Especially with windows as OS

Oh I know. I was heavily stacking the deck in the "Console Killer"'s favour, and it still was more expensive for less performance. I'd never run a computer with Windows 7 or newer with 8GB anymore. Sure at the office we have some older office computers with 4GB, but even here, 8GB is standard now.

4 hours ago, Prysin said:

actually, Digital foundry has done many tests on "console" settings. and due to some technical wizadry, more often then not, a PS4 (lets ignore the shit-box. Because its inferior in every way) will get around medium to high settings in most PC games.

Now if you try to get stable 1080p High settings on a PC, you usually struggle to maintain stable FPS. But the consoles have MUCH more advanced (and resource efficient) AA and AO. So that is how they "catch up".

Consoles usually cannot match PC at draw distance and shadow quality. Both which can be very important. But in most cases, not so important the game isnt playable.

[CITATION NEEDED]

Consoles have superior AA & AO? Lmao, no, just no.

You do realise your PS4 is running a modified 7870, right? I'm struggling to fathom how anyone can believe a 7870 running on OpenGL can somehow do anything that my 970 can't. Now how about I throw in TXAA, MFAA, HBAO, HBAO+ & VXAO. Can your PS4 do any of them?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

41 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

[CITATION NEEDED]

Consoles have superior AA & AO? Lmao, no, just no.

You do realise your PS4 is running a modified 7870, right? I'm struggling to fathom how anyone can believe a 7870 running on OpenGL can somehow do anything that my 970 can't. Now how about I throw in TXAA, MFAA, HBAO, HBAO+ & VXAO. Can your PS4 do any of them?

you are a moron if you think those are better. They cost WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too much FPS to be considered good.

HBAO/HBAO+ require a 290X or higher unless you want your gaming experience to take a dump

17 hours ago, Notional said:

For people who will never get a PS4, because who would when they have a computer? If you want to see the game, Jesse Cox is doing a let's play:

That's my problem. I played 1-3 (they actually got me into gaming) on my ps3, but I don't have or want to get a ps4. But I know eventually ill be able to play it and don't want to spoil it for myself.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

13 hours ago, Prysin said:

-megasnip

Guess who is going to have fun this week/weekend.

If anyone want to watch, ill see if i can find a cheap/used capture card so i can stream without shafting my framerate (PS4 streaming isnt always that great)

Traitor!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

8 hours ago, Prysin said:

actually, Digital foundry has done many tests on "console" settings. and due to some technical wizadry, more often then not, a PS4 (lets ignore the shit-box. Because its inferior in every way) will get around medium to high settings in most PC games.

Now if you try to get stable 1080p High settings on a PC, you usually struggle to maintain stable FPS. But the consoles have MUCH more advanced (and resource efficient) AA and AO. So that is how they "catch up".

Consoles usually cannot match PC at draw distance and shadow quality. Both which can be very important. But in most cases, not so important the game isnt playable.

Draw distance>lets see if I can pull off that long distance snipe, oh shit, they aren't rendered\

And how is it that consoles-which use the exact same types of AA and AO as PC, have more advanced and resource efficient versions? Don't get me wrong, I can see the point of Pre Xbone and Pisspoor consoles, but the current gen is just outright shit when you compare them to same cost PC of the same age. Unlike the PS3, 360, Xbox Original, PS2 and PS1.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 5/10/2016 at 7:05 PM, dalekphalm said:

Sorry, been a long and hard week at work and then I completely forgot to answer. 

Sure, you can't but as I said, w/o a single game. You can Buy Win 10 for the price of 2 AAA games here (if not even for less) and PS is useless for most people if you have none. Blu Ray and "Media Center" are pros for me personally and I have used a PS4 for those specific functions, but still not the main reason people buy them.

On 5/10/2016 at 7:05 PM, dalekphalm said:

I believe you and quite agree on that, but I was never talking about the cost. 

But, as originally stated, I am not blown away by this generation of consoles. I said underwhelming, and I still think they are. Not talking price to performance (which, again, may be quite good) etc., but in general when compared to previous generations, that is what my comment was about.

With that said, I am still planning on buying a PS4 and surely will when the time comes. They may be underwhelming for me, but they still have their usage and are nowhere near bad, as many people like to think they are. 

On 5/10/2016 at 7:18 PM, Prysin said:

Some may require yes, but in reality it seems not that many games need them, and I'm talking about supposedly highly demanding games. Source

I was surprised by these tests tbh.

4 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Sorry, been a long and hard week at work and then I completely forgot to answer. 

Sure, you can't but as I said, w/o a single game. You can Buy Win 10 for the price of 2 AAA games here (if not even for less) and PS is useless for most people if you have none. Blu Ray and "Media Center" are pros for me personally and I have used a PS4 for those specific functions, but still not the main reason people buy them.

I believe you and quite agree on that, but I was never talking about the cost. 

But, as originally stated, I am not blown away by this generation of consoles. I said underwhelming, and I still think they are. Not talking price to performance (which, again, may be quite good) etc., but in general when compared to previous generations, that is what my comment was about.

With that said, I am still planning on buying a PS4 and surely will when the time comes. They may be underwhelming for me, but they still have their usage and are nowhere near bad, as many people like to think they are. 

I agree the hardware is underwhelming, or rather, the price and availibility of PC equipment has improved drastically.

Also, i want to note PS Plus. Sure it is an subscription, but you get 3 games a month, for free, for the remainder of the time you are a PS Plus member.

Total cost a year is like 60 bucks or so. Then again, this month alone i got 45 bucks worth of games for free.

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Also, i want to note PS Plus. Sure it is an subscription, but you get 3 games a month, for free, for the remainder of the time you are a PS Plus member.

Total cost a year is like 60 bucks or so. Then again, this month alone i got 45 bucks worth of games for free.

Aren't games on PS Plus limited for a month or something? Like you don't get them permanently.

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Aren't games on PS Plus limited for a month or something? Like you don't get them permanently.

nope. 3 new games for free, for ASLONG AS YOU STAY SUBSCRIBED. PERMANENTLY.

I wish i knew about this earlier and started hoarding free games (mostly indy/not so popular games). You also get discounts on normal stuff. Like 15-80% discount on games. Hell, ive seen AAA titles have 15% off at LAUNCH for PS+, so yeah. PS Plus also serves as a "season pass" for online multiplayer. So without it, you will have to pay for online multiplayer. Which is usually like 9.99 to 15 US for games like CoD or Battlefield.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

nope. 3 new games for free, for ASLONG AS YOU STAY SUBSCRIBED. PERMANENTLY.

I wish i knew about this earlier and started hoarding free games (mostly indy/not so popular games). You also get discounts on normal stuff. Like 15-80% discount on games. Hell, ive seen AAA titles have 15% off at LAUNCH for PS+, so yeah. PS Plus also serves as a "season pass" for online multiplayer. So without it, you will have to pay for online multiplayer. Which is usually like 9.99 to 15 US for games like CoD or Battlefield.

Ah yes, some games have quite nice discounts, can't say I wasn't surprised a few times. 

Now for some things... I can't say I approve them (depending on the situation). I bought a game, paid for it with my money so why do I have to pay bonus for MP? Sure if the SP is like $30 and MP is another 10 (one time purchase), that's actually convenient tbh, but paying for game $50 and then even more for MP (and maybe on a monthly basis)... why? 

And I'm not sure how I feel about that permanent thing. On one hand I'd get lots of games for much less then I originally would, on the other hand I might lose them all when as well as the money invested. But when I think about it as borrowing games that's actually not bad at all so that's a plus (ba dum tsss).

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Ah yes, some games have quite nice discounts, can't say I wasn't surprised a few times. 

Now for some things... I can't say I approve them (depending on the situation). I bought a game, paid for it with my money so why do I have to pay bonus for MP? Sure if the SP is like $30 and MP is another 10 (one time purchase), that's actually convenient tbh, but paying for game $50 and then even more for MP (and maybe on a monthly basis)... why? 

And I'm not sure how I feel about that permanent thing. On one hand I'd get lots of games for much less then I originally would, on the other hand I might lose them all when as well as the money invested. But when I think about it as borrowing games that's actually not bad at all so that's a plus (ba dum tsss).

the MP thing is actually a EA/whatever cod developer is called move. Not sony. Sony just doesnt stop em from doing it.

MP pass/season pass is always a one time per game purchase. But it really stings if you buy BF4 + patches, but doesnt buy Premium, so you have to get MP season pass in addition.

Just now, Prysin said:

the MP thing is actually a EA/whatever cod developer is called move. Not sony. Sony just doesnt stop em from doing it.

I wasn't talking about Sony but in general, but as they aren't stopping them, one could think say they are as guilty as the publisher or whoever is charging.