Cheap 1$ thermal paste

Julian5
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
2 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

these are used components, im getting an msi 970 gaming mobo, an amd fx 8350 black edition and a nox hummer case for 200€ I dont have any amd coolers and the guy advertised the pc with water loop but ill be using the amd stock cooler he will give me.

Makes sense. Well using the piece of crap thermal paste will be totally fine until you get better stuff.

I bought some cheap 1$ thermal paste about a year ago for testing purposes. Now I need to assemble a pc next week and the only thing I have is this cheap paste. Will it be fine? im worried ill eventually burn the cpu from overheating if the paste is crap. Ill be running an amd  fx 8350 black edition with a stock cooler.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

if the stock cooler dosent have any paste on it that stuff is fine for now but if it has paste then keep the stuff on the cooler

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Julian5 said:

Well... What paste is it? The fact that it's $1 tells us very little.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Generaly I am fairly uncaring about which thermal paste is used AS LONG AS IT IS A KNOWN/NAMED ONE.

I feel that a cheapo TIM, like this one, is worth what you paid for it.

Yes it will work, at least for a while, but I would replace it as soon as .

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

4 minutes ago, soup said:

Generaly I am fairly uncaring about which thermal paste is used AS LONG AS IT IS A KNOWN/NAMED ONE.

I feel that a cheapo TIM, like this one, is worth what you paid for it.

Yes it will work, at least for a while, but I would replace it as soon as .

im going to use the cheap paste temprarily until I recieve my arctix MC-4 past I just ordered. (just about a month of heavy usage)

Elemental 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptops

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

I bought some cheap 1$ thermal paste about a year ago for testing purposes. Now I need to assemble a pc next week and the only thing I have is this cheap paste. Will it be fine? im worried ill eventually burn the cpu from overheating if the paste is crap. Ill be running an amd  fx 8350 black edition with a stock cooler.

As long as it's advertised as cpu heat sink thermal paste it should be fine.

Don't make the mistake of experimenting with other substances! I made the mistake once of experimenting with thermal grease for a water heater . Haha

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

50 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

im going to use the cheap paste temprarily until I recieve my arctix MC-4 past I just ordered. (just about a month of heavy usage)

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you using the Thermal Compound that comes pre-applied to the stock cooler for the FX-8350? Are these used components?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you using the Thermal Compound that comes pre-applied to the stock cooler for the FX-8350? Are these used components?

these are used components, im getting an msi 970 gaming mobo, an amd fx 8350 black edition and a nox hummer case for 200€ I dont have any amd coolers and the guy advertised the pc with water loop but ill be using the amd stock cooler he will give me.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptops

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

Makes sense. Well using the piece of crap thermal paste will be totally fine until you get better stuff.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

ok thanks. I just need an upgrade from my shitty i3 540 and my mini atx mobo with 4gb of ram. The second hand stuff was the only thing I could find here in spain.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptops

Spoiler

lol I guess no one even watched the video. Thermal compounds make very little difference. (Unless metallic)

Just now, Dionyz said:

lol I guess no one even watched the video. Thermal compounds make very little difference. (Unless metallic)

I did not watch the video. Did they perform a long term test over 1+ years? Because the difference between thermal paste is not in the cooling efficiency (Although there are minor differences), but rather, in the longevity. Good paste will last a long time before drying out. Cheap paste can sometimes (this is by no means a universal truth) dry out more quickly and thus make the paste ineffective any longer

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I did not watch the video. Did they perform a long term test over 1+ years? Because the difference between thermal paste is not in the cooling efficiency (Although there are minor differences), but rather, in the longevity. Good paste will last a long time before drying out. Cheap paste can sometimes (this is by no means a universal truth) dry out more quickly and thus make the paste ineffective any longer

OP question was not about longevity. For the TL;DR version of the video it's basically saying arctic silver has a 3 celicus difference than toothpaste....

So anything basically works. If NOTHING is on it's basically going to get 20 Celsius hotter. (Which is not a huge deal since many people that OC run at full load at 80 Celsius)

24 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

OP question was not about longevity. For the TL;DR version of the video it's basically saying arctic silver has a 3 celicus difference than toothpaste....

So anything basically works. If NOTHING is on it's basically going to get 20 Celsius hotter. (Which is not a huge deal since many people that OC run at full load at 80 Celsius)

This is not good advice.  Thermal paste is designed to last a long time, just as dalekphalm tried to explain.  Regardless of whether in the course of a few minutes of testing toothpaste can perform almost as good as thermal paste,there is no justification to use toothpaste over thermal paste as a real cooling solution.  In fact videos like that are very misleading without explaining that thermal paste is a long term semi-permanent solution whereas toothpaste is absolutely not.

Yes you can not use a thermal compound, but even a cheap thermal compound is going to vastly outperform none at all.  Instead of thermal paste between your cooler and CPU, you now have air, a wonderful insulator.

And while it's true that the metal pastes are the best solution for transferring heat from the CPU to the cooler,  they are also not feasible under most circumstances because they tend to dry out much faster than silicon based thermal pastes and need more frequent reapplication.  To the people using these metal pastes, in general, that is not an issue and it's one they are well aware of.

You shouldn't encourage someone to make poor choices, In my humble opinion.

1 hour ago, tbake0155 said:

This is not good advice.  Thermal paste is designed to last a long time, just as dalekphalm tried to explain.  Regardless of whether in the course of a few minutes of testing toothpaste can perform almost as good as thermal paste,there is no justification to use toothpaste over thermal paste as a real cooling solution.  In fact videos like that are very misleading without explaining that thermal paste is a long term semi-permanent solution whereas toothpaste is absolutely not.

Yes you can not use a thermal compound, but even a cheap thermal compound is going to vastly outperform none at all.  Instead of thermal paste between your cooler and CPU, you now have air, a wonderful insulator.

And while it's true that the metal pastes are the best solution for transferring heat from the CPU to the cooler,  they are also not feasible under most circumstances because they tend to dry out much faster than silicon based thermal pastes and need more frequent reapplication.  To the people using these metal pastes, in general, that is not an issue and it's one they are well aware of.

You shouldn't encourage someone to make poor choices, In my humble opinion.

I just layout facts. People over dramatize thermal paste, and the video just shows people need to calm down. In short term it's fine. Mind you in this video he has stress tested, so these are the maximum temps. Thermal paste between good and bad has very little difference in temps (Unless metallic). 

I was trying to relieve OP paranoid-ness. He shouldn't worry. I am not recommending to use toothpaste, and I am not recommending not to use thermal paste. His shit wouldn't overheat if he uses terrible thermal compound. That's all.

15 hours ago, Dionyz said:

Lol I guess you missed the part where I said I don't care (as TIM name makes very little difference) what TIM was used

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"