Button-less fingerprint sensors coming to phones this year

Stryder721

LG innontek and fingerprint cards are working on a fingerprint sensor that will avoid the whole touching the button thing we have become accustom to. When this become a thing the phone, phone manufacturers can now integrate the sensor under the same tough glass that covers the phone's display, which would be super nice if your like me and your phone is prone to being dropped. 

Traditional fingerprint readers have always required a discrete area just for their use. <-- Coming from the verge, fingerprint sensors normally require a spot on your phone to reside weather it was the back or the home button. But this new sensor will be able to integrate them into the glass thus removing any sign of the sensor at all on the exterior of the phone. (super freaking cool)

Right now the concept is to imagine the S7 from Samsung but with the home button being the capacity key that is under the glass. Doing this will allow the phones to become more "water resistant" and the sensor itself is less likely to be damaged by scratching or physical damage to the phone such as drops. 

So far there is a very slim chance (0.002) of a false acceptance of this method meaning the reader is very accurate, but this causes some more delay because your adding an extra layer to the scanning process. But the glass sensor is just as good as the button sensors we are already accustomed to using.

There is talk of even implementing this into things such as ovens, to help reduce the risk of small children getting hurt by using the same fingerprint scanner. The sensor can be placed without changing the aesthetic of the phone at all.

When can i get my hands on this new change, well as stated in the article phones with this sensor are expected to drop on second half of THIS YEAR! (Super cool)!

^A demonstration video explaining how the sensor works

^A video explaining exactly what the sensor does

Verge article:http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/2/11564368/fingerprint-sensors-buttonless-2016

there is something to be said for a physical button, its all about being able to feel where the thing is in the dark/pocket

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

1 minute ago, jaggysnake57 said:

its all about being able to feel where the thing is in the dark/pocket

That and not accidentally unlocking your phone when your just using it to check the time

So the infamous butt-dial is getting an upgrade. Neat!

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Is kids getting hurt by turning on the stove/oven a thing? I  can understand getting hurt by one that is already on and hot but those things can't burn you right off the bat. 

Alos isn't Apple working on this kind of thing too? I thought someone posted a rumor for an upcoming iPhone which would have the fingerprint reader in the screen as well.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

It's a nice upgrade, but I think a sort of feedback about where it is would help. As an example, people might use the feedback of touching the button to grab the smartphone the right way. Perhaps a vibratory feedback would be positive even if the person using it already has the visual feedback.

why do you need button-enabled fingerprint scanner? the hell?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

why do we have to get rid of all the fucking buttons!?

cause someone, somewhere decided that a piece of glass with aluminium sides is stylish and "premium"

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I don't get the point of this. Just make it work on the screen then it will be worth it. 

Cool tech but I do love a physical button. 

3 hours ago, Prysin said:

I like my Xperia Z with no buttons on front :3

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, Prysin said:

I mean the biometrical device itself... it doesn't need buttons, I'm not talking about the phone.

I believe the title is misleading

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

But I WANT a home button

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

10 hours ago, DXMember said:

I mean the biometrical device itself... it doesn't need buttons, I'm not talking about the phone.

I believe the title is misleading

i agree

6 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

But I WANT a home button

i WANT a fucking power button.

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

i agree

i WANT a fucking power button.

My phone has both of those

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

3 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

My phone has both of those

Mine has only power. Xperia Z2

but i fear that manufacturers are moving towards button-less. And i am not so amused by that, as i live in Norway. And capacitive or inductive touch does NOT like the cold winters. 

To be perfectly honest, physical buttons are better. But I suppose it's cool just doesn't seem very practical unless the sensor can like light up or give you like some sort of tactile response to let you know where the button is. I do prefer software keys over physical keys but on my S6 the hardware/capacitive  keys aren't too bad.

How the 5X and 6P handle the finger print sensor isn't a bad implementation either. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I like the one on the back of my Nexus5x because its in the perfect position. i don't get how its comfortable to use the home button ones like the samsungs or the apples.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)