Difference between GQ and G2

Hello quick question:

Whats the difference between those two models GQ and G2 from Evga Supernova series 850w. Is there any efficiency improvement one over another or something like that? 

I ordered GQ at the start, because price was cheaper, but had some personal problems with orders... deliveries etc. and i have to buy PSU from my own country now, Bulgaria. 

I cant find GQ anywhere in my country, but the G2. 

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

12 minutes ago, Redjo said:

Hello quick question:

Whats the difference between those two models GQ and G2 from Evga Supernova series 850w. Is there any efficiency improvement one over another or something like that? 

I ordered GQ at the start, because price was cheaper, but had some personal problems with orders... deliveries etc. and i have to buy PSU from my own country now, Bulgaria. 

The GQ is made by FSP and generally regarded as good. It's also semi-modular.

The G2 is made by Seasonic and is even better. Like there are few PSUs better than a G2. But it's not more efficient per se, just more reliable and fully modular.

I'd say if you can afford a G2, there's no point getting a GQ. There's also the fact that you might not need the 850W version unless you're doing SLI/Crossfire on two high-end cards. 650W will power any single-GPU configuration you can throw at it.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

One's a seasonic, one's a pretty well known FSP unit.

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

6 minutes ago, xTrixieHD said:

One's a seasonic, one's a pretty well known FSP unit.

Actually to correct the both of us, G2 is made by Super Flower and it's based on their Leadex Gold platform.

http://www.orionpsudb.com/evga

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Really? the more you know,

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

superflower, that's a good power supply brand.

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

27 minutes ago, Redjo said:

Hello quick question:

If you need other help with hardware in Bulgaria allow me to point you to @don_svetlio, unless their profile lied about living there :P

But really, Don is a reliable source for tech advice especially PSUs.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Redjo said:

Hello quick question:

G2 have a design defect which causes damage to components when there are frequent brownouts (common in Bulgaria) - I'd strongly advise a SeaSonic G-series or S12G series PSU

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

G2 have a design defect which causes damage to components when there are frequent brownouts (common in Bulgaria) - I'd strongly advise a SeaSonic G-series or S12G series PSU

That's to the Leadex Gold, not the the minutely improved G2, if I understand correctly. Still wouldn't be a bad idea for OP to save some money and get the GS/GQ

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

8 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

How is G2 Tier 1 if it's got that sort of defect? I guess even Tier 1 units have their weaknesses.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

That could (hypothetically) cause damage... 

But yea, the point remains. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

How is G2 Tier 1 if it's got that sort of defect? I guess even Tier 1 units have their weaknesses.

It's a brand new development no one knew about until a few days ago. 

It's also not 100% confirmed on the whole G2 lineup. The 550 has it but the 650 doesn't. 

And I personally don't see how it actually would hurt, but I do advocate caution, and all other things equal (which they rarely are but still)  avoid the G2. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

10 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

It's a brand new development no one knew about until a few days ago. 

It's also not 100% confirmed on the whole G2 lineup. The 550 has it but the 650 doesn't. 

And I personally don't see how it actually would hurt, but I do advocate caution, and all other things equal (which they rarely are but still)  avoid the G2. 

Greatest part is, I've never heard of it effecting anyone, and nobody had a single clue this was even an issue until the other day.  Now I see people like Don saying not to get what has been for quite a long time, one of the best PSU's on the market. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

3 minutes ago, Lays said:

Greatest part is, I've never heard of it effecting anyone, and nobody had a single clue this was even an issue until the other day.  Now I see people like Don saying not to get what has been for quite a long time, one of the best PSU's on the market. 

My thoughts exactly. The EVGA Supernova power supplies have been around a long time. Surely if this was a 'big' issue it would be all over the web. 

9 hours ago, Lays said:

It's an issue for people such as myself with frequent Brownouts - if you live in a place where power is stable you won't have issues but 50% of the world's countries have instability issues in the countryside and 25% have it in cities as well. Caution is advised considering a similarly priced G-series PSU doesn't have this defect and still comes with a 5-year-warranty and good CS.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

9 hours ago, lee32uk said:

My thoughts exactly. The EVGA Supernova power supplies have been around a long time. Surely if this was a 'big' issue it would be all over the web. 

The issue is related to Super Flower, not EVGA - the B2, GS, GQ, P2 and T2 are still top-notch but the Leadex Gold-based G2 are currently pending judgement. Anything bellow (NEX, B1, G1, W1) is not even considered a good option anyway