People Who "Know" Tech

JLCitadel

Have you ever encountered someone who just tried to blow smoke up your ass and act like they knew about electronics? How did you respond to it?

Personally I like to have a bit of fun with it, for example, making them think beats by dre is the best thing since sliced bread, or creating a completely fictitious computer part and then having them act like they've put it in their own build.

My favorite time this happened, someone tried to say they bought a 400$ processor heat sink fan.

Generally I'm a pretty nice guy, so I don't try to call them on their bullshit, I just spin them around and have a good laugh with myself.

so, tell me, have you ever had something like this happen to you? do you think messing with people like this is wrong or all in good fun?

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I try not to be an arse and just try to correct them and talk normally about it. When it comes to Beats, I just tell them that though the headphones are good, they just paid a lot for the name and could have gotten something better for the same price and potentially even cheaper. I've shown a few of my friends my Flux-in-ear-pros and they were astounded by how well they sounded, even if the bass wasn't as "high" as they wanted it.

Pretty much every IT teacher

EH, mine just didn't know much about what new things were out there since he was stuck teaching us about  everything before 2010 and playing HALO CE or flight sims.

DJ's.

@mr moose will understand. 

But Beats and macbooks are the best of the best, get with the times bro. I bet you don't even have an iPhone 5S, jeesh. 

I don't call then on their bullshit, I simply try to get them tongue-tied  

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Have you ever encountered someone who just tried to blow smoke up your ass and act like they knew about electronics? How did you respond to it?

Personally I like to have a bit of fun with it, for example, making them think beats by dre is the best thing since sliced bread, or creating a completely fictitious computer part and then having them act like they've put it in their own build.

My favorite time this happened, someone tried to say they bought a 400$ processor heat sink fan.

Generally I'm a pretty nice guy, so I don't try to call them on their bullshit, I just spin them around and have a good laugh with myself.

so, tell me, have you ever had something like this happen to you? do you think messing with people like this is wrong or all in good fun?

I just outsmart them by using both numbers and letters without any spaces.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Oh god yes, I have. Unfortunately, most people who are like that are very stubborn, so it normally ends with someone punching someone else. My favourite example is where a guy was saying that to get the best performance, you need tons of RAM.

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

I try not to be an arse and just try to correct them and talk normally about it. When it comes to Beats,I just tell them that thought the headphones are good, they just paid a lot for the name and could have gotten something better for the same price and potentially even cheaper. I've shown a few of my friends my Flux-in-ear-pros and they were astounded by how well they sounded, even if the bass wasn't as "high" as they wanted it.

I suppose beats are a very touchy subject for me, I just sorta drop my head and laugh when I see someone wear them.

Pretty much every IT teacher

I actually had a awesome IT guy in highschool, taught me how to network hack my school for admin access to toy with my computers teacher

I don't call then on their bullshit, I simply try to get them tongue-tied  

That's interesting, how'd you do that?

I just outsmart them by using both numbers and letters without any spaces.

talking in 1337 SP34K?

DJ's.

@mr moose will understand. 

I feel like I get the gist of this haha

I let them say whatever they have to say and chuckle to myself about it, Usually people that think they know what they are talking about are pretty much incapable to being told otherwise 

& If you try, they make some convoluted explanation for why they "miss spoke" or something along those lines lmao

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well IT is a very wide area and I guess many of us do not know every part of it. For example, I an plan individual systems well but my mother can plan and implement business network infrastructure. it's still tech either way.  

Though actually answering your question, my friend thinks a clockspeed and cache of a processor are the be all and end all of CPU performance and called me an "imbecile" for thinking architecture matters. 

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I suppose beats are a very touchy subject for me, I just sorta drop my head and laugh when I see someone wear them.

I actually had a awesome IT guy in highschool, taught me how to network hack my school for admin access to toy with my computers teacher

talking in 1337 SP34K?

& If you try, they make some convoluted explanation for why they "miss spoke" or something along those lines lmao

I act like an idiot and then I ask them even more idiotic questions like "how does a computer work" 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Oh god yes, I have. Unfortunately, most people who are like that are very stubborn, so it normally ends with someone punching someone else. My favourite example is where a guy was saying that to get the best performance, you need tons of RAM.

I hear this so often, makes me laugh so hard. One time I had a friend try to convince someone 64 Gigs of ram was completely necessary for running minecraft a 60fps. Nearly died laughing, I had to correct the poor guy before he spent 400$ without any research though.

Well IT is a very wide area and I guess many of us do not know every part of it. For example, I an plan individual systems well but my mother can plan and implement business network infrastructure. it's still tech either way.  

Very valid point there, but this is more geared toward the people who have less then general knowledge and try to act advanced. By business network infastructure do you mean a media center and data servers & such? (I'm ignorant of this subject as well)

I act like an idiot and then I ask them even more idiotic questions like "how does a computer work" 

Computer? What's that? Oh you mean apples with the shiny cover. Yeah they're so amazing, worth all 3000$

I hear this so often, makes me laugh so hard. One time I had a friend try to convince someone 64 Gigs of ram was completely necessary for running minecraft a 60fps. Nearly died laughing, I had to correct the poor guy before he spent 400$ without any research though.

Wow, I hear that too much at my school. Problem is, most people these days want a push button solution, but they can't be asked to find one, so they ask us tech people. But they ask the wrong person, who gives them the wrong answer, then the first person feels enlightened and tells everyone that he knows tons about tech. I hope people don't assume that I'm one of those "ALL TEH RAMZ!" guys...

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

Wow, I hear that too much at my school. Problem is, most people these days want a push button solution, but they can't be asked to find one, so they ask us tech people. But they ask the wrong person, who gives them the wrong answer, then the first person feels enlightened and tells everyone that he knows tons about tech. I hope people don't assume that I'm one of those "ALL TEH RAMZ!" guys...

OVER 9000 RAM 4MOARPOWAAAA

This.

Walking into best buy acting like you just rolled your way out the vagina is comedy.

Error: 410

Though actually answering your question, my friend thinks a clockspeed and cache of a processor are the be all and end all of CPU performance and called me an "imbecile" for thinking architecture matters. 

lol, If that was the case we'd still all be rocking overclocked q6600's!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

"Just download more gb;s of ram"

My uncle thinks Desktops are completely obsolete for home purpose. He is a eng for KLA_Tencor (know not much i do) amd, wafer, maintence, etc.

yeah puches and chokes are like hugs for my family 

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

This.

Walking into best buy acting like you just rolled your way out the vagina is comedy.

I couldn't do this with a straight face. I'd love to try though.

Dem super overclocks bro

"Just download more gb;s of ram"

My uncle thinks Desktops are completely obsolete for home purpose. He is a eng for KLA_Tencor (know not much i do) amd, wafer, maintence, etc.

yeah puches and chokes are like hugs for my family 

Plates to the face are like kisses on the cheek in mine

talking in 1337 SP34K?

Precilsly.exactly. Man i read the whole post you made. Maybe some water now.

All the time, the problem is they often have a short attention span and wont listen to the truth if it takes longer than 20 seconds to explain, even if you break it down into simpletons language with metaphors (which for me is usually mechanically related given my background).

The problem is when I talk about this stuff I end up sounding like the guy who is either A. the know-it-all who wont be told otherwise or B. the most boring geek alive who freaks out over things like phones not needing 64 bit or the fact that most "gamers" are often found playing candy crush or skyrim or other things you can run on a pc thats 5 million years old or a "DS" (*cough* gameboy).

How do I deal with it? I don't I get a nervous twitch and heat waves are seen over the top of my head as it tries to comprehend the average beings rapidly diminishing IQ level brought on by years of soap opera and jeremy kyle induced tv programs, lame games (mentioned beforehand), facebook arguements and gossip and so on.

tumblr_m6bmcgbj2e1rziwwco2_500.gif

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

Field of Exp.

Arch is the let down of Bulldozer, not a fan boy please note. just a bad speller

TOOO mcuh stop wroting. Anyway good times.

This.

Your profile pic makes me feel unconformable. I will sue for round soap like APPLE! 

Yep and I would be buying a FX9590 for an extreme build!

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy