Do You get attached to hardware ...

Do You get attached to hardware that you've used for a while to a point where you don't want to sell or dispose it off after it becomes useless?

post your replies down below, thought of adding a poll, but meh, make your post instead, far better response

Details separate people.

Hell yeah, I have an old Pentium III and a 64MB Nvidia Graphics card stored on a box in the basement, though I can't seem to find/remember the model ;(

A little I guess... not so much sentimentally though, it's more a case of I haven't got the patience and stuff to sell it...

At the moment I have:-

hudl tablet

hudl2 tablet

chinese tablet with exynos CPU from a few years back

htc phone from like 8 years ago

huawei phone from like 5 years ago

3 kindle e-readers

tons of hard drives

a couple of dvd writers + 2 slim drives also

a dvd rom drive that I used with modded firmware for xbox360 backup discs

PS3 + controllers + games (which reminds me I have a drive in there that's useful as I swapped the original out for extra capacity)

3 pc cases

5.1 soundbar 300W (don't have room for it now)

My AMD x6 1055T CPU system that's  only used now for testing occassionally

My dell 24" monitor that's only used now to monitor my NAS

Acer revo dual core system that I used to use for kodi back in the day

Probably others that I ahve forgotten about... I am a bit of a pack rat when it comes to hardware, lol :D

[edit] On the newer side I just remembered that I have my Raspberry PI2 that I used to use for Kodi also until recently, 2 android Tv boxes (1x 4k), that have now been relegated to backup status in case of failure... they have been replaced by my Nvidia shield TV unit now.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Erm yeah... I have an HD 4550 in a cheap PC build that I dont really want to get rid of. however it would seriously bottleneck the Q6600 in it though. Cant tell for sure cuz I dont have a PSU to test it with at the moment.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Well...I do have an 7970 Ghz. Specifically, a MSI R7970 Lightning. The one with the blue "reactor" thing on the back. It's my first top of the line card I owned and could overclock to 1230 mhz on the core and 1600 on the memory.

It's relatively quite cool and quite so I consider it quite a good chip. I never had the balls to push it though (I use a 980 Ti with an accelero xtreme III now). Perhaps one day I'll get a block on it and see just how far it'll go.

I know it's not old or anything, but I just don't see myself ever selling this card. I pretty much sell anything that I'm not using so this 7970 is an exception.

Mostly the ones i buy with my own money :P besides that, not that really attached though, i would sell them if i ever need the money 

I have a whole ton of hardware that I've either salvaged or taken from my server (I also have my AIO PC's fried motherboard), as well as a couple of HDDs, boxes for stuff, 2 PowerBook G4's (repair attempt for art), an old laptop which still functions and I'm sure I've got a PS/2 keyboard somewhere. So, yes, I am quite attached to hardware: I like seeing how it has changed (I have a Slot 1 Pentium 3 to hand). I mainly keep them since they're worth virtually nothing. Something like 980Ti on the other hand, is a different story.

Ahh yeah, I just got rid of a ton of stuff too, I had about 5 PS/2 keyboards, cheap ones, an old case that I really didn't need any more and about 2 sacks full of old device leads like USB 2.0 extension cords and stuff that is really old crap now... and also there were a few old PCI cards like USB 2.0 2 port ones... I was just fed up with that crap taking up space in the attic, LOL :)

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I still have Xbox original games - even tho I sold my original Halo Edition Xbox.

I have my PS2 slim and gamecube - even tho I sold all the games

My Samsung Tab 2

All my old phones - even the dumb flip phones

and SO MUCH MORE xD

I'm moving so I may finally have to threw the old stuff away to avoid moving costs :/ 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

...an old case that I really didn't need any more...

I still have the OEM case for my server, in case I have to RMA the one it is in now (InWin GROne, which makes me groan...get it?). Nice and small PB tower which fit comfortably on my desk and under it...

I still have my old 550ti that would love to hit 90 deg C.... its sitting in a r9 390 box so i can feel like it was more powerful then it actually was

i also still have my 6 year old hard drive off of my second computer ever... its dead... but i keep it in a drawer

6 minutes ago, Kaxlene said:

i also still have my 6 year old hard drive off of my second computer ever... its dead... but i keep it in a drawer

I suppose it isn't as bad as having a "dead drive walking" like my machine had... it passed away on KNOWHOW's bench before they sent it back to me. They also wanted me to pay for recovery even though I stated I was not able to access any data since I have no spare ports on my server and I cannot access Windows at all :( Second PC, first failed drive (but an old PBG4 that was donated to me died before I could clone it to a new drive for an art project).

I also have my hard drive and the hard drive from my server which as bad sectors in anti-static bags in case I want to try advanced recovery on mine (and in case I want to try and repair the old server drive).

No. I have sold and plan to sell anything that isn't useful to me. Gonna sell my 8350+mobo combo soon. I won't sell my 7970 though, since I can use it as a backup/system test GPU.

I used to be quite active here.

Yes and no. If it's parts I can replace with something better (upgrade), then no. 

If it's something I built and spent a lot of time on, then yes. Example; the Stalker v2.0 custom build I just finished a little while ago. Definitely attached to that. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 hours ago, ServerGuy said:

I still have the OEM case for my server, in case I have to RMA the one it is in now (InWin GROne, which makes me groan...get it?). Nice and small PB tower which fit comfortably on my desk and under it...

I really didn't have any more room for computer cases that were "spares", the quotes becuase I only EVER re-used a case one time! LOL... the current "spares" I have 2 are old style ATX cases with PSU up top, no room for cable management, they will be used for server stuff if at all. And the other is a Zalman z11+ that still has my AMD phenom x6 1055T system in it, that is basically a Frankenstein's Monster at this point as it no longer has an SSD, makes use of some of the old HDDs I had laying around and a dvd writer... I pretty much use it like once every 3-6 months now just to test the occassional linux distro, before then moving on to use my laptop for the second test of said distro.

The laptop is fine by the way, just that I am spending more and more time at home now and barely get the chance to take my laptop anywhere, so it gets saddled with linux/win 10 in dual boot for testing pretty much too. The only reason I even have win 10 on it is because it's better at battery life than when I use linux. Oh don't get me wrong by the way, I am not an afficianado with linux at all, I can install crap using command line is pretty much it, lol. The rest of the time I am "testing" linux is testing whether the hardware works OK without resorting to other means of getting it to work, and seeing if the GUI is friendly enough that I would recommend it to my family members that I really don't want to install windows for any more, after they "break" something every few weeks or don't run virus scanners etc and download loads of "origins unknown" software and god all else they can find.

Sorry, rant over :)

Edited by paddy-stone
edited because of my crazy ass punctuation

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Apart I'm collecting headsets for attachment reasons.

AKG 701's, Beyerdynamics Dt 770, JVC Victor HA FXD80-Z

Nah. I'm good with throwing away my rig. In fact, in October I'm starting over and building from the ground up.

12 hours ago, SparkyRain said:

Apart I'm collecting headsets for attachment reasons.

AKG 701's, Beyerdynamics Dt 770, JVC Victor HA FXD80-Z

I'm always amazed people move on from the Beyerdynamic DT770s! I've got a pair of 8ohm 770 Pros and they're just about all I can imagine ever wanting in a headset. Comfortable, sound incredible. That's it!

Yes. I still have my first crappy laptop because it was the PC I first got into tech on and was my first foray into PC gaming. I hoard HDDs but that's more because I figure "might as well use these spare drives for backups instead of selling them" and less because I'm attached. I still have an Athlon 64 x2 from the first desktop my family had, and I'll probably keep my 8350 once I retire it because it was my first CPU. I wish I hadn't sold my first GPU (HD 7850) because for £20 I'd rather just have it on a shelf for nostalgia.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Nope, though sometimes I do keep some parts, "just in case" if my newer part decide to die off in a fiery disaster.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

No, I try to sell everything before it loses its value so I don't have anything too long (over 1yr) 

If you buy smart and cheap, you can usually lose next to nothing and upgrade things for basically free.

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q